General Fiction posted April 18, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Missing

Forest Secrets

by Heather Knight


Dad often said Mum was a witch.

I never thought much of it. I imagined he was just mad at her because she was so bossy. Just an insult like any other. After all, she called him a pig.

I have to confess I always loved Dad better. That's why I was heartbroken when he went missing.

'We have to call the police, Mum,' I told her.

'Don't you worry. He'll be back in no time. I bet he's just gone gallivanting with one of his friends.'

She accentuated the word friends as if it meant something special, something that at the age of ten, I didn't fully understand.

Time went past and Dad didn't come back. There was a hole in my heart, but little by little, I got absorbed by my routine again.

One day after school, I went for a walk in the forest. It was a cloudy, windy day, and I shivered inside my flimsy raincoat.

I extended my hand to touch a tree trunk and a dragon-like creature jumped onto my hand and started moaning.

I looked into his eyes and realized he looked familiar.

'Dad?' I said.

I was astonished. So Mum was a real witch then... it was not just a figure of speech.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.