Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 16, 2019 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Julie does what she can to save her family.

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

Julie Fights Back

by Mistydawn


Summary

Jeff is told he can either help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves?

Jeff has stolen a car and has been chased by the cops. He escapes from that only to be sent to another job. Jeff hears sirens in the middle of his illegal adventure. Setting the building on fire, he flees from the scene. Julie discovers an invader in their house.


Julie nervously glances from the stairs to the door, not sure what to do. She knows she should warn Jeff about the situation, but can't figure out how, being strapped to a chair, a piece of duct tape over her mouth.

She jerks on her restraints hoping she can pull free. The coarse rope cuts deep into her skin. She winces from the pain. I have to do this. She turns her arm sideways hoping to make a little slack. She feels the cord give just a tad. I hope it's enough. She wiggles her thumb back and forth as she pulls her arm up; the strap drops a little more. I can do this.

A floorboard squeaks, she looks up to discover the intruder is midway down the stairs; The doorknob jiggles, Julie glances towards the entrance. Not now, Jeff, please not now, she begs, wiggling her way loose; the binding drops a little more. I'm almost there. She nervously watches the intruder make his way towards the door as she continues to pull free. I have to hurry. Julie gives the restraint a hard jerk, the band plops to the floor.

Now for my feet. She tries to untie her second restraint, but the knot refuses to give. Come on, come on, she thinks, tugging on the rope; the binding doesn't budge. Flexing her feet downward, she pulls her legs from the loop. One last thing. She yanks the duct tape from her mouth as she stands. "Hey, you." The intruder turns towards her. "Yeah, you. Why don't you come over here and try your little stunt again? Unless you're too scared to fight me face to face?"

"You're the one who should be scared." The brawny man laughs, stomping towards her.

"That's it, tough guy, show me what you've got."

He's a few feet away when the knob jiggles again. Julie gasps, the intruder pivots around.

***

Joe slowly trudges down the hill in search of his detective. It was close to midnight, and he was ready to call it quits. He's diligently scanning the crew when he sees Rachel running towards him.

How can she have so much energy this late in the day? He then remembers her age. I guess I'm not as spry as I use to be, or as thin. He chuckles, rubbing his enlarged stomach. "Do you have any news, detective?"

"I spoke to the husband and he claims he doesn't know who did it either."

Joe gives her a curious look. "I know that tone, the expression on your face. Something isn't sitting right with you, is it?"

"It's the way he said it like he's trying to hide something. His wife only added to my suspicion."

"How did she do that?"

"She seemed anxious the entire time like she's afraid he'd say too much. A couple of times I noticed her tug his arm. He'd stop mid-sentence, think for a second then start again."

"What were you asking about?"

"How well the bowling alley is doing. I figure it's relevant since some business owners set fires for the insurance money. Especially when the place isn't doing well, or if they have a lot of debt."

"How did they respond?"

"They said their business is the best it's been in years. I still want to dig into their finances, see what I can find."

"It can keep until morning." He glances at his watch. "Later in the day," he corrects, pointing towards his wrist. Realizing she's about to protest, he quickly adds: "I've already sent Jerry home and I'm headed there myself."

She starts to walk away when a recent conversation comes to mind. Rachel turns back around. "Joe, I meant what I said about you ever needing to talk."

"I know and I appreciate it, I really do."

Standing on her tiptoes, she kisses him on the cheek. "See you in a few hours."

Joe gently presses his fingers against his cheek as he watches her walk away. I'll see you in my dreams.

***

Luigi is waiting in his vehicle when Jeff pulls up to Miller's Pond.

"So, what does he want me to do now?" Jeff asks as he climbs into Luigi's car.

"Are you familiar with Stub's grocery?"

"Oh no, please not..." Seeing the look on Luigi's face, he stops mid-thought.

Luigi smiles. "Their son owes the boss a lot of money and is refusing to pay."

"Why not go after him instead of his parents?"

"We will, once we put a little fear in him."

The way you did me? "So what is my part in all of this?" Jeff asks, wishing he could find a way to get out of it.

"You need to take all the money from the register."

"Break in and rob the place?"

Seeing the expression on Jeff's face, Luigi chuckles. "That's the whole idea."

"Won't... Won't I set off the alarm?"

"They don't have a security system."

"What about the cameras in the store?"

"They're fake too."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. You need to use the service entrance since it's the least visible point of entry. I'll drop you off and meet you back at Tyson's parking lot." He glances at his watch. "We need to do this now while the workers are on their break." He notices the puzzled expression on Jeff's face when he starts to pull away. "You'll look less conspicuous with them walking around."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Boss said to knock over a few displays and make sure you leave the register drawer open," Luigi explains as they reach their destination. Shutting off his car he turns towards Jeff. "Don't screw it up, or else."

"Yeah, I know." Climbing out of the car, Jeff anxiously looks around. Discovering the Tyson workers aren't paying attention, he heads towards the store.

The neighborhood dogs start barking. I'm almost there, he thinks as he quickens his pace. Hearing movement behind him, Jeff spins around. He finds a cyclone of dead leaves swirling in the wind. I thought I was a goner. He chuckles. Relieved, Jeff heads towards the store. He takes a few steps when a tall, thin, broomstick looking man darts out of the shadows, Jeff takes a step back as he screams.

"Sorry about that," the lad smirks.

"It's alright," Jeff breathlessly replies.

"You wouldn't happen to have a light, would you?" He pulls a crinkled pack from his pocket.

"I don't smoke." Jeff anxiously continues down the road.

"It'd help calm your nerves." The lad yells after him.

I need something about now, Jeff thinks as he continues down Freeman.

Once out of the young man's view, Jeff heads to the metal service door around back. How does he expect me to get through that? He eyes the deadbolts. Maybe I can use a window? He glances around and soon discovers they're covered in bars. Darting towards the front, Jeff inspects the white antique door. Sis locking me out is actually going to help. His sister, Janet was supposed to babysit him while their parents worked. Most days, Janet didn't want to be bothered, so she'd toss him outside, locking the door behind him. Jeff quickly learned how to get back in.

He takes a credit card from his wallet and slides it between the frame and the lock. He hears the metal click and then feels the barrier release. Thanks, Janet. Jeff stuffs the card in his pocket as he steps inside. The bell above the door rings, he jumps. I've always hated that damn thing.

He runs over to the cash register and opens the drawer. There might be a hundred bucks in here, Well, maybe. A small amount, or not, I have to do what I'm told. He starts to reach for the money when bright, red lights start flashing all around him; a high-pitched noise screams through the store. The disturbance seems to intensify with every passing second. Stuffing a handful of cash in his pocket, Jeff darts out the door. Police sirens squeal all around him as he runs towards Miller's Pond. I have to get away, I just have to.

Jumping into his vehicle, Jeff falls across the seat; the police sirens continue to wail in the distance. I hope I wasn't spotted. He feels his stomach tighten into a large, hard knot. He grimaces through the pain. This sensation is ousted by his strong urge to pee. Not that too.

Headlights suddenly brighten the darkened skies. Please don't let it be the cops, oh, please don't let it be the cops. He hears a car door close followed by footsteps crunching on the gravel. They did see me after all. Jeff feels a warm liquid trickle down his leg.

***

Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.

Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective
Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics

 



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.