Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 14, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Some things can be explained after the fact.

Unexpected Visitor

by Brigitte Elko

Again, the dryer stopped working and the laundry was still wet. Why? I don't know because when it stopped on its own, it also began again on its own.

Oh well, I continued washing dishes as a storm-forecasting breeze came through the window. A rustling noise made me perk up and look around, surely the storm wasn't close yet. Nothing unusual caught my eye.
My husband was rocking our baby boy to sleep in the next room as I tried to hurry cleaning up the kitchen after a long day of celebrating a birthday.
The temperamental dryer had started up again and I breathed a sigh of relief.
Startled by a strange slithering sound that seemed to come from under the open window, I saw it!
Under the table, slithering slowly, was a long, fat snake. I jumped onto the counter, ( I was a city girl turned farm wife.) I called to my husband in a loud whisper, "Honey, come quick!"
His reply, " Shh, he's almost asleep."
"There's a snake under the table," this time I was shouting and I could feel his anger because I woke the little one.
Coming into the kitchen, my wonderful husband said, "There's no damn snake in here. Get off the counter."
I pointed to the culprit. Handing me our little boy, he went into action and caught the snake with a broom handle.

The mystery of the dryer was solved when the snake dilemma was taken care of. For a long time, that snake had been inside the dryer coiled around something that didn't harm it but caused the dryer to stop when it moved.
It was an eventful evening that ended well as our little one saw his first snake.



True Story Contest contest entry


This is a true story. I am terrified of storms and believe me reader even more terrified of snakes. This one was harmless. For nights I wondered if there were baby snakes in the house. It took me a long time to get over this event.
Thank you gloryg for the use of this image.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brigitte Elko All rights reserved.
Brigitte Elko has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.