General Fiction posted April 13, 2019 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Ond-Natt's father shows up to avenge his son

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

Daddy's Home

by Roxanna Andrews


Those of the enemy who still lived cried, "It is Mot-Voldsom,'' meaning Fierce Mother. They scattered, some running toward the mountains, others into the woods.

Dyster, standing beside his master, made to go after the dragon, but Joshua stayed him with his hand.

A shadow blocked out the sun and Joshua looked up to see a huge black dragon, larger than any they had yet seen. The gigantic beast had a blue stripe down his back, his scales shown silver in the sunlight. The ground shook as he landed beside the female. They nuzzled one another and the male again nudged the body of Ond-Natt. The beast roared and whipped his head around, his blazing red eyes sought those he held responsible for the death of his son.

"Run," shouted Joshua. He grabbed Lyse's hand and they ran into the woods.

The warriors ran into the trees, taking their horses. They readied their swords, but knew they were no match for the dragons.

Just beyond the first trees, Joshua found his uncles and mother kneeling beside their father, Goran. He barely clung to life, his body badly burned.

His sons had covered him with snow, trying to dull the pain. They knelt on either side of him, each holding a hand. Goran opened his eyes and seeing Nyla, they became wet with tears.

"My greatest regret is letting them take you from me," he said, his voice a little above a whisper. Nyla grabbed his hand from Eric and bent over her father.

"It was the way of things. Do not blame yourself. I never have." She kissed his forehead, avoiding the burnt flesh.

Goran held out a hand to his grandson. "Grandfather," Joshua said, taking the outstretched hand with tears in his eyes.

"You have given me much joy in my old age," he said with his last breath escaping his lungs in a hiss.

His sons kissed his forehead and wept silently. They moved Goran's body deeper into the woods and covered it in the snow. They would retrieve it later to take home for a warrior's burial.

They stood before Joshua. "We will mourn another day. Today we fight," said Eric.

"You are no match for those devils. You must stay within the trees."

"We will not hide like cowards! What of our honor? How can we avenge our father if we do not fight? Let whatever is to come, come. We will fight like men," said Drake.

"What good is your honor if you die knowing there was never a hope of victory? It is a foolish waste of life. What of your families? Will you leave them without husband or father?"

Joshua saw a stubborn look come over the faces of his uncles. Eric was about to speak, but Joshua cut him off.

"The flame will devour you in an instant. Stay here, that is my order.'

Their eyes burned with anger, but he would not allow good men to die needlessly. He turned to his wife.

"Lyse, stay with my uncles."

"I will not stay and allow you to face the dragons alone," she protested.

"If you love me do this one thing. I cannot bear the thought of your death."

"Nor can I bear the thought of yours. If we die, we die together. I will not leave you."

Joshua held her close and with one last kiss, climbed onto Dyster. Lyse made to follow him, but Joshua blocked her way and would not allow it. She looked into his eyes, her's pleading to go with him. They filled with angry tears as she watched her beloved take to the sky.

Riddare had appeared as if out of nowhere, the huge cat deadly silent for his size. He made a running leap and landed lightly on Dyster's back. He would join his companion for what may be their last battle.

Those on the ground watched as the blue dragon flew above them. Dyster's iridescent scales shone in the fading light. The night was almost upon them. In their hearts they feared this was a final battle for the young captain and their countenance fell. They looked to one another.

"What can we do?" a Nubian warrior asked.

"I, for one, will not stay hidden like a coward. Riders mount your dragons, we will do what we can," said Eric.

The riders brought their dragons forward and the uncles climb up behind a rider. Lyse commandeered a dragon and Nyla joined her.

"If we die, we die, but at least death will have meaning. I will die a warrior," said one of the riders.

The others cheered and their spirits were lifted. They would go into battle unafraid.

The Nubian archers knew their arrows might prove useless, so they brought spears as well with deadly, sharp points. They were not experts at spear throwing, but they were good enough.
**************

Lucas lay in great pain, fading in and out of consciousness. Where was that traitorous brother of his now that he needed his help. Worthless idiot!

Lucas rolled onto his stomach and crawled to his bed. Taking a muslin sheet, he tore it using his teeth and one hand and wrapped the bloody stump. Laying it against his chest, he wrapped the rest of the sheet around his torso to keep his arm immobile. His chest wound still bled, but he ignored it. He lay down, sweating and exhausted, he fell asleep.

He was awakened moments later by the deafening scream of a dragon. Staggering to his feet, he went to look outside the tent. Beside the smoking Ond-Natt, was his mother.

"I am sorry old girl. They killed your prize son," he said. The dragon looked at him as if she understood his words.

Lucas saw a shadow block the sun for a moment, and felt the impact tremor as a huge black dragon landed beside his mate.

"It looks like father has come home." He staggered further out of the tent and saw the mammoth beast whip his head about and look toward the battlefield.

"Yes, that is where the enemy is, the ones who killed your son."

The huge beast took a few steps toward Lucas and shot a huge flame above his head. Lucas could feel the extreme heat and fell to the ground, screaming. The tent caught fire and in minutes was engulfed in flames.

The beast moved closer and Lucas's hair blew back as the dragon breathed heavily, in and out. He smelled the scent of his son on the man, and something more, a kindred spirit.

He picked up Lucas with his teeth, grabbing him gently as he would a pup and placed him on his back. Lucas slumped forward, placing his cheek against the scaled hide. He lost consciousness for a moment and when he woke he was flying above the battlefield.




Joshua-Meaning 'Salvation, To Save'-The Chosen One
Drake & Eric- Joshua's Uncles
Goran-Drake, Eric & Nyla's father, Joshua's Grandfather
Augdon-Trained Joshua as a warrior. Lyse's father
Jarle-Augdon and Cedric's father. Captured by the horde a year before.
Cedric-Augdons brother, Lyse's uncle. Captain of the horsemen
Lyse-Meaning 'Light'-Joshua's wife
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Lucas-Leader of the Horde
Lydia-Lucas' wife
Hamish-Wahaland Spiritual leader and trouble maker, also Lucas' brother.
Dyster- Meaning 'Blue'- Huge blue dragon reserved for Joshua.
Riddare- Meaning 'Companion'-Mountain cat, Dyster's companion.
Ond-Natt- Meaning 'Evil Night'-Huge black dragon, Dyster's brother, Lucas's secert weapon.
Mot-Voldsom-Meaning 'Fierce Mother'-Dyster's mother, huge black dragon
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.