Romance Fiction posted March 31, 2019 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan meets Bill.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 3 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anybody wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.
Ending of Previous Post:

"Bill and Dad were friends. Your dad knows him too. They all went to high school together. You should ask him. There's no way it's a set up. I'll agree it looks suspicious. This is definitely an abandoned building. Nobody lives or works here." McKenzie took her Nikon camera and began snapping photographs. "If you're coming, let's go and look around."

As they searched inside, numerous rats, mice, and squirrels scampered into hiding.

Logan kicked over torn newspapers and fast food wrappers. "Looks like some junkies and homeless use this place for shelter."

McKenzie pointed to some empty bottles. "Don't forget drunks." She paused, held up her hand, and whispered, "Listen."

Logan nodded, turned toward the noise, and motioned McKenzie to take cover. He darted behind a rotting door and peered out.

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 3 PART 2

After Logan identified the sound as a car's engine, he ran from the building and stared at the taillights. "Shit!"

McKenzie came up behind him. "Did you get a good look? There was no car around when we arrived."

"I know. It was a black crossover. I didn't get the model, probably two thousand sixteen or seventeen. The license plate started with 'ST' and maybe a three or eight. I couldn't tell for sure and didn't get the rest."

"Great. You just described ninety percent of the vehicles in the greater St. Louis area." McKenzie headed toward her car. "Let's go. I need to talk with Bill."

As they walked, Logan asked, "You need to find out who knew you'd be here. More information about this Marcie person, and..."

"I know what I need to ask," interrupted McKenzie as she opened her door. "I am a professional, regardless of what you believe."

"You took that wrong." He stared at her over the car's roof.

"I know you think you're trying to help." She sat behind the steering wheel. "Get in." She inserted the key and paused. "How long were they here?"

"Couldn't have been too long. I don't really know. Why?" asked Logan.

McKenzie opened the door. "They may have planted something on the car." She knelt, felt, and searched around the tire well.

Logan checked the passenger side.

After she finished her side, she lifted the hood. "I doubt they had time to do anything in here."

Logan leaned in for a better look. "This baby's clean. I never expected a 426 V8 Hemi." He shook his head. "I should've. It had some pick up. Where'd you get this beauty?"

"From Dad. His favorite past time was working on, no, restoring cars. Ever since I could walk, I toddled after him." McKenzie smiled. "I was his favorite helper." She closed the hood and checked both the front and back bumpers. "I guess they didn't mess with it. I wonder what they were doing and why they didn't stay."

"Maybe they didn't have time to complete their task. Or they wanted you, and my being here screwed up their plans."

McKenzie tilted her head. "I'll give you that you were a big help last night, but I'm pretty sure you didn't have anything to do with what just happened." She opened the driver's door. "Let's go."

*****
The traffic was light and it didn't take long before they had parked in front of a red brick, two-story building and stood at the receptionist's desk.

"D.A. Abbott, please," said McKenzie, "he's expecting me."

"I'm sorry, ma'am. He's very busy." The young lady checked a schedule. "I don't see your name or any name on the schedule. It looks like he's free next Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock. Give me your name and I'll write you in."

McKenzie smiled and checked the name tag. "Ms. Smith, please tell him Mac's here. He'll see me."

A lady in her early forties walked into the room and hugged McKenzie. "Hi! I've been on vacation and have missed your visits. How have you been?"

"No complaints, Rachel," answered McKenzie. "I need to speak with Bill, but..."

"He's busy," interrupted Ms. Smith. "I offered to set up an appointment."

Waving her hands, Rachel walked over, rapped a few times, and opened the door. "Bill, Mac's here." She faced the young receptionist. "I know you just started two days ago. Mac, Ms. Morgan, is welcome in Bill's office anytime."

Immediately, his arms surrounded her. "Mac!" He motioned her to enter. "Who's your friend?"

Introductions were made and Bill grinned. "Logan, I know your dad. He speaks highly of you. Thank you for your service. What do you do for the Army? How long you been in?"

"Twelve years, Sir. I'm stationed at Fort Bragg."

Bill shook his head. "Never understood why anybody would jump from a perfectly good airplane." He studied Logan for a few moments. "You're special forces or something, aren't you?"

Logan tilted his head. "Or something."

"You're..." Bill used the heel of his hand to tap his forehead, "black ops or Delta Force?"

"Sorry, Sir. I can't answer that."

McKenzie smiled. "You aren't the run-of-mill-pain-in-the-butt, you're a special one."

With a chuckle, Logan said, "You could say that."

"Now I understand where your cockiness comes from."

Bill smiled at the banter. "I see you two get along perfectly." He pointed to a couple of chairs. "Have a seat. Did you find anything useful?" He sat.

McKenzie searched her camera for the photos she'd taken. "I doubt Marcie Kirks lives or works here. Your suspect says he was with her at the time of the robbery. I doubt he's being truthful."

After studying them, Bill rechecked his notes. "Something's definitely wrong. I need to get back with the officer who gave me this information." He started to dial his phone. "He was a new officer. I think he just graduated the academy last week or the week before."

"Wait, before you call," interjected Logan. He filled Bill in on the black crossover and the license plate. When he'd finished, he explained last night's events.

Tapping his fingers on his desk, Bill's eyes met McKenzie's. "Why didn't you call? And don't say, you didn't want to bother me. I promised your parents I'd look after you. My wife and I are here for you any time of day or night."

"I know that, but..."

"To be honest, Sir, she was in no condition to call anybody. I didn't know about you so I couldn't call. If I did, I would've."

"Okay, that makes sense." Bill released a deep breath. "I'm glad your gut told you she was in trouble." He faced McKenzie. "I hope you thanked him."

"Of course, I did." Her gaze dropped to the floor. "But probably not as well as I should I have." After releasing a deep breath, McKenzie's eyes met Logan's. "Thank you for being there when I needed help. I do appreciate it."

Logan reached over and touched her arm. "Anytime. Although, I hope there's not a next time."

Bill reached for his phone. "I never did get that call made." He listened as the phone repeatedly rang and then hung up. "I'll have to get back with you. I'll follow up on the crossover and find out what Ms. Kirks is up to or even if she's a real person. I should have answers before close of business today."

McKenzie stood. "I better let you get back to work. I have a busy day, too." She glanced at Logan. "You coming?"

"Of course." Logan offered his hand. "Glad to meet you Mr..."

"Bill," he interrupted. "Anybody who helps my God-daughter calls me Bill." He leaned a little closer. "She's a handful."

Logan grinned. "I've already figured that out."

"If you two are done discussing me as if I'm not even in the room, we need to leave." She kissed Bill on the cheek. "We'll talk later."

He returned the kiss. "As soon as I get answers, I'll call. You can expect a call from Joanie later. You and Logan need to come to dinner this weekend." After McKenzie agreed, Bill walked them to the door.

In the reception area, Logan said, "I take it Joanie's his wife."

"She is. I can't imagine what we're going to do with all these dinner invitations." McKenzie kept walking. "That makes two."

"You do remember Simon."

"A little."

Once they arrived at McKenzie's home, Logan walked her inside and scanned the townhouse. "It looks safe. I think I'll visit my parents. I have a few questions for them."

"I can give you a ride."

"A taxi will work. I need to do some thinking anyway. What time should I be back?"

McKenzie's eyebrows crunched together. "I have no idea. I don't work on a schedule."

"Okay." He ran his hand through his hair. "I guess you wouldn't. I'll return when I'm done. How's that?"

"Okay, I guess, but you don't need to hang around. I can handle this."

Logan walked out the door and called over his shoulder. "I'll be back."

"I know you will." McKenzie paused. "Logan, wait a minute. I have a question." Once he came closer, she continued, "Bill said something like; I never understood why anybody would jump from a perfectly good airplane. What did he mean by that?"

"Fort Bragg is home of the 82nd Airborne Division. Their mission is within 18 hours of notification to strategically deploy, conduct forcible entry parachute assault, and secure key objectives for follow-on military operations."

"So it's part of your job to jump out of airplanes and put yourselves in danger?"

Logan grinned. "Yes, Ma'am."

"Why?"

"Somebody's got to do it." He turned to leave. "See you later."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.



Recognized

#207
2019


Thank you google an image of a 1970 crazy purple super bee, McKenzie's car. Bill's comment, 'Never understood why anybody would jump from a perfectly good airplane.' is because Fort Bragg, NC is home of the 82nd Airborne Division and their mission is within 18 hours of notification, strategically deploy, conduct forcible entry parachute assault and secure key objectives for follow-on military operations in support of U.S. national interest.

This post is a little under 1400 words. I hope you don't mind the length. As with any of my novels this one is taking on a life of it's own. OH MY!!! Any help you can offer will be appreciated. Thank you for the encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.