General Fiction posted April 2, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
1,000 words A Sarabeth story titled: Evening, Missy.

Hammie & Sarabeth C~2

by papa55mike


The rain has slowed to a mist, and the clouds seem to touch the trees. I've been hiding under the overpass for the last four hours during the storm. I'm cold, wet, but determined to get to Memphis, and away from my family.

Checking my phone, I see Facebook is full of my pictures when I was a freshman. I don't look anything like that now. That's why I dyed my hair and changed my make-up.

"Maybe I can make it in Memphis?"
 
I've always had the goal of being a singer even though mom and dad want me to be a lawyer like them. The Blues sounds like a good start. I can lie about my age to get into the clubs on Beale. Everybody is continually searching for new talent, and I'm the girl they need.

Slowly, I slide down the Highway Forty-five concrete embankment. My phone says it's eleven o'clock. It might be hard getting a ride this late at night, but I'm sure going to try. A semi roars past me. The force nearly knocks me down. Now a truck with ladders on it flies right by me. "They're so fast, and they can't see me."

I sit down on the guardrail in the complete darkness. The only light I see is on my phone. My heart starts to beat faster, while fear surges through my body.
 
The mist begins to swirl in a faint breeze. I hear footsteps moving in my direction. A passing car lights up a young woman walking towards me through the mist. She has on a long dress with her hair pulled up. The young woman smiles when she sits down beside me. "Evening, missie." Her voice is deeply southern. I've never heard anyone talk like that.

"Hi," I'm not sure she's real. "What's your name, sweetie?"

"My name is Sarabeth," her smile is dazzling. "I believe yuh name is Ava?"

"How do you know that?"

"Oh, I reck'n I know lots 'bout yuh, Miss Ava," she takes my hand and gently entwines her fingers with mine. "Why yuh running away?"

"You're scaring me now," tears gather in my eyes.

"Don't be afraid, missy," Sarabeth smiles. "I here tuh help yuh."

"Help me?"

"Yes 'em," Sarabeth squeezes my hand. "You lucky, I didn't know my family. Twas sold right out a slave pen wid my ma. Darkies is sold dat way, where I come from."

"Who bought you?"

"Lucifer, himself," she shakes her head. "He dun did evil things tuh me, but I lived."

"How can you help me, Sarabeth?"

"I need tuh stay with yuh," Sarabeth smiles. "The devil be ridin' by soon."

She doesn't seem real, but I feel her hand in mine. "What do you mean, the devil is riding by soon?"

"Ain't no one yuh need talk uh, never make it Memphis if yuh do."

"Who sent you?"

"The Lord did," Sarabeth brushes the curly blond hair from my eyes. "He's right worried 'bout yuh."

"I don't believe in God."

"The Lord know that, don't stop Him from lovin' yuh, Ava. Tell me 'bout yuh family?"

"There's not much to tell, Sarabeth. Mom, dad, and I live in a big house on this side of Henderson. Dad discovered the affair mom was having with her boss. They're about to divorce. I'll be just like my friends with split holidays, living in two different places, and never being a family again."

"Ain't dat why is yuh tryin' to get to Memphis, tuh hurt yuh family?"

My lip begins to quiver. "Why shouldn't I? They each want their own lives and don't care about me. If mom loves me, why did she have that affair and break up our family?" The anger comes pouring out through my sobs.


Sarabeth takes her hand from mine, wraps her slender arms around me, and pulls me close. "Let all dat out, missy," she gently wipes my tears away. "Yuh ma got lost fuh a spell. Dey's still a chance. One thing yuh have tuh do is forgive her. Yuh mustn't let bitterness take root. It won't let go."

"Why are you so good to me, Sarabeth?"

She takes her long finger and raises my chin. "Cause me en de Lord loves yuh, sweetie."

Sarabeth gently kisses my forehead, and then her face seems to harden. "The ol' devil is close. Quick, down dis hole."

We cross the guardrail then down into a drainage ditch. Two headlights eerily scan the highway. This car is in no hurry at all. It stops at the end of the guardrail, and a handsome man exits the vehicle. He searches the darkness like he knows we're here. Sarabeth raises her hand, and with the flick of one finger, I hear a branch break on a tree down the road. The man quickly focuses his attention in that direction and heads back to his car. He drives his car slowly down the highway to the noise and stops. After a moment, the handsome man drives away.

My mouth is barely working. "Who was that, Sarabeth?"

"Uh evil man who takes young girls, en do horrible things. Yuh was next."

We crawl back up to the highway in silence, another semi rolls by. Sarabeth asks, "Those is beasts, ain't they?"

I don't think she can understand what a semi is. "Yes, sweetie."

"Miss Ava, can you talk tuh yuh family on dat thing?" I shake my head yes. "Talk to 'em, tell 'em yuh ready tuh come home."

"What about my dreams?"

"Dream 'em, big ones." There's her dazzling smile.

"Will you wait with me, Sarabeth?"

"Yes 'em, I surely will."

An hour later, I see dad's Range Rover slow, then stop. Mom almost falls out, trying to get to me. She snatches me into her arms. "Oh, Ava, we've been so worried about you." Mom sees Sarabeth standing there, smiling. "Who is your friend, sweetie?"

"Her name is Sarabeth. She saved my life." I blow her a kiss.

Sarabeth smiles, and the mist carries her away.

 



Recognized


The picture is from the internet site: slideplayer.com

I borrowed Sarabeth's dialogue from Zora Neale Hurston's book; Their Eyes Were Watching God. A wonderful book that's full of language from the old South.

I'm stunned; this turned out to be a beautiful story. Maybe ten stories a piece for Hammie and Sarabeth. That would put it about 20,000 words. It would be a great novella. Let me know what you think.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.