Romance Fiction posted March 24, 2019 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie and Logan check out a warehouse.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 3 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anybody wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.
Ending of Previous Post:

McKenzie avoided his eyes as she sipped black coffee. "Dad's office was right downtown, only three blocks from the stadium. Mom helped part-time with the paperwork. As they were closing after dark, June 12th, 2018, they were both murdered. I was doing surveillance on a cheating husband or I probably would've been killed too. Anyway, I closed down that office. Every time I walked inside, it brought back too many memories."

"Did they catch their murderer?"

McKenzie nodded. "Yes, John Benson was arrested but died in prison before the trial, actually only a few days ago. He and his family claimed his innocence."

"What was his motive?"

"He worked for a large contracting company. Dad worked with the police and found evidence he embezzled from the company. He also laundered drug money for the 49 BAD Bloods street gang. They transport drugs from Phoenix to St. Louis. Dad was going to be a witness at his trial." McKenzie set her fork on her plate and drank the last of her coffee. "I don't know that much about it. Dad tried to keep me away from that part of our business. I really do need to get busy. I can't sit here and talk all day."

"Do you mind if I hang around? I'm still not sure you're a hundred percent."

"You're using that as an excuse to be a pain-in-the-butt, aren't you?"

Logan grinned.


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 3 PART 1

As McKenzie checked her calendar and prepared to walk out the door, her phone rang. "Sure, Bill. I can check an alibi. I can do it right now. It shouldn't take long." She took notes. "I'll call you back, in let's say forty-five minutes." She paused. "Okay, I'll come by your office. See you then."

"Who's Bill? And why are you doing work for him? Does he pay?"

She shook her head. "You're a real pain. This is none of your business. I won't do anything on your sister's case until later this afternoon. You can leave until then." She released a deep breath. "You're not going anywhere are you?" After he grinned, she continued, "I might as well answer your questions. He's a lawyer and yes, he pays. I'm on retainer. I get a monthly check whether I work or not."

"I'm still hanging around. I might come in handy."

"I doubt it." McKenzie started out the door. "Can I have my car keys back?"

Logan tossed them to her. "Maybe this Bill guy can help with the men who drugged you."

"We won't know for a fact I was drugged until we get the results from your friend. Plus I won't be able to do anything because there's not a reliable chain of custody with the evidence."

"My friend's very reliable. I trust him with my life."

"I'm sure you do, but will a court?"

Logan tilted his head. "I see your point." He opened the driver's side door for her. "This seems a little strange. It's hard to be a gentleman when you're driving."

"Get used to it." She waited until Logan was seated before she pulled from her parking slot.

McKenzie studied the dilapidated building before her and then checked the notes she'd taken. "This is the address Bill gave me." She took out her phone. "I think I'll check."

After verifying the information and describing the scene to Bill, McKenzie hung up. "This is the address the suspect gave the police. I'm supposed to speak with a Marcie Kirks. Unless Marcie's a rat, I doubt we'll find her."

Before McKenzie stepped from the car, she removed her 40 caliber Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol and checked it.

"Nice pistol. You know how to use it?"

"Yes." She replaced the gun in the back of her waist band. "I have a real permit and everything. Do I need to show it to you? Have I mentioned you're a pain?"

"You have numerous times. To be honest; I've lost count." Logan grinned. "And I believe you have a permit, so we're good. Just pretend I'm your bodyguard."

"Only I don't need a bodyguard." McKenzie walked up to the building. "I can take care of myself, really I can."

Logan touched her arm. "What do you know about Bill? Could this be a set up?"

"Bill and Dad were friends. Your dad knows him too. They all went to high school together. You should ask him. There's no way it's a set up. I'll agree it looks suspicious. This is definitely an abandoned building. Nobody lives or works here." McKenzie took her Nikon camera and began snapping photographs. "If you're coming, let's go and look around."

As they searched inside, numerous rats, mice, and squirrels scampered into hiding.

Logan kicked over torn newspapers and fast food wrappers. "Looks like some junkies and homeless use this place for shelter."

McKenzie pointed to some empty bottles. "Don't forget drunks." She paused, held up her hand, and whispered, "Listen."

Logan nodded, turned toward the noise, and motioned McKenzie to take cover. He darted behind a rotting door and peered out.




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google images of a dilapidated warehouse . This post is right at 600 words. I wrote this in July and have edited it over and over again. As I posted it, I made numerous changed. I hope I haven't made it worse. Any help you can offer will be appreciated. Thank you for the encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.