General Fiction posted March 23, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Feeling lonely

A Friend At Last

by Heather Knight


I never go to Silvercrest Forest. I have heard the rumours. They say there's a monster there.

I stay in my cave home, all alone, and look at the book my grandpa gave me. It has wonderful pictures of the forest and its gigantic grayish trees.

There is also a blurry picture of the monster. He's got blue skin like me and big horns. It also has dragon-like wings.

(Ten minutes later)

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to meet him... Maybe we could become friends. And I badly need a friend.

My parents were killed by a two-legged creature called Man and Gramps died of old age last autumn. Now it's just me.

(An hour later)

I've made up my mind. I'll risk my life. Best case scenario, my existence will stop being this boring. And what's the worst thing that can happen?

I walk along a green path surrounded by the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen. I feel my heart swell because of so much beauty.

Eventually, I reach a clearing. In the middle of the clearing there is a lake and in the lake there are floating lily pads. I walk towards the water and touch it with my toe.

Suddenly, I see the monster staring back at me. His eyes are bulging and he has at least a thousand teeth. He looks sad, not scary. And that's when I realize the monster is just my reflection in the lake... I am the monster and the monster is me.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.