Horror and Thriller Fiction posted March 23, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The spirit of a girl haunts a young woman

The Girl with Dead Eyes Part 2

by Roxanna Andrews


Ending of part 1:Still feeling tired, Lauren woke up early the next morning. She fixed a cup of coffee and opened her laptop to check emails and facebook. After signing on, her screen flashed, then went black.

"Oh great!"

Lauren hit 'enter' several times and a picture of 'the girl' appeared on the screen. She slammed the laptop shut.

She got up and refilled her coffee cup and stood a while by the sink, working up her courage. Lauren slowly lifted the laptop lid and the picture was gone. With a sigh of relief she signed into her facebook account.

At the top of her news feed was a picture of the girl, but she didn't have dead eyes in this picture. Under it was a caption:

"15 Year Anniversary of Disappearance. Still no trace of young Kansas girl'

*****************

Lauren clicked on the caption and the article came up.

Seventeen year old Elizabeth Snow disappeared without a trace February 2nd 1998. She had planned to spend the evening with a friend but never made it to the friend's residence. When she did not return home that night, her parents called the friend, Sherri Donaldson, and found she had never arrived.

The police were called and after a search of the area, her car was found in the Baptist Church parking lot on Wilson Street, just two blocks from the Donaldson home. The vehicle had a flat tire and police speculate she pulled into the parking lot and someone may have offered to help. When she exited her vehicle she was abducted. The driver's side door was unlocked and her purse was found in the front seat, the keys were still in the ignition.

It could be the flat was intentional and someone was following her. She made one stop at a gas station convenience store to buy snacks. Someone may have tampered with the tire there.

Video from the store showed Elizabeth buying the snacks, but there was no video of the parking lot.

The police and community conducted searches for her in the area around the church, but no trace of Elizabeth was ever found.

Today her family and friends came together to remember the popular young girl.

"We just want to know what happened to her," said her father, in tears. "She was a wonderful daughter. We miss her every day."

Several people where questioned and cleared in connection with the disappearance.

Rick Taylor and Ryan Matthews were two who were questioned. A witness thought they saw Taylor's car near where the girl disappeared. The boys said they had nothing to do with the girl's disappearance and a search of the vehicle yielded no evidence that Elizabeth had been in the car.

The case is still open, but has gone cold. If you have any information regarding Elizabeth's disappearance, please contact the Hutchinson Police Department.


Laurens' heart had almost stopped at the mention of Rick's name. Was Rick Taylor her Rick? She knew it had to be. It couldn't be a coincidence that there were two set of friends with the same names. Rick had never told her he lived in Kansas. He said he was from Texas. In their three years of marriage he had never even mentioned Kansas.

"What are you doing?"

Lauren jumped.

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you," said Rick as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

"Just looking at Facebook. I haven't signed in for a while. Lots of news." She smiled and closed her laptop.

"How do you feel this morning?"

"Better," she lied.

Rick hadn't slept well. That old feeling of restlessness was back. Unable to sleep he had gotten up in the middle of the night. He did an internet search and found the online article about Elizabeth Snow's disappearance. Now Lauren had read it too. He'd watched as she read the article and had seen her body stiffen and knew why. But why had she read the article in the first place? Did she suspect something? He needed to talk to Ryan and had already texted him. They planned to meet at The Diner for breakfast.

"I've got a few errands to run, I'll be gone about two hours or so," he told her as he grabbed his keys.

"Okay, see ya later."

As soon as Rick left, Lauren lay down on the couch. She had a splitting headache and just needed to close her eyes for a moment. Was she seeing the girl because she was connected to Rick? Who was she married to? 

Thirty minutes later she woke to five women standing in her living room. 

The women were all young, all had the same lanky hair and dead eyes. They stood before Lauren and she felt as if they stared into her soul. Knowing this was not a dream, she sat up with a heavy sigh. She no longer feared the apparitions, but feared why they were there. Heart sick, she knew it had to do with Rick. Would there be more? Filled with such overwhelming dread, she shook from head to toe.

"Can you tell me your names?" Her voice shook and tears weren't far behind.

Barely able to get her fingers to work, she used her laptop and looked up each name. All were listed as having disappeared without a trace. They were from four different states and disappeared about three years apart. Neither Rick nor Ryan's names appeared as being connected in anyway.

Her mind refused to believe what she was thinking. Rick had always been so good to her. Could he really be involved in this? Then again there were the long absences from home. What was he doing? He always had such great excuses, she never questioned it, never suspected a thing. He was so sweet, so charming. Always bringing her gifts, he spoiled her. How could he be involved in something so horrible? But the girls' spirits told her he was involved in something beyond sinister. She wanted to scream at them to leave, they had the wrong house, but in her heart she knew.

Should she call the police? There was nothing to link Rick to the disappearances. The police could do nothing without evidence. She could hardly tell them the spirits of the dead girls had appeared to her.

Should she tell Carla? Of course, Carla had to know, she could be in danger. Lauren knew she couldn't live with herself if something happened to Carla. But what to say and how to say it. 

She picked up her phone and texted her best friend.

I need to talk to you. Can I come by?

I'm on my way out, I'll stop by your place.

When Carla arrived, Lauren motioned her to have a seat. She had the laptop open to the article about Elizabeth Snow.

"Has Ryan ever said anything to you about living in Hutchinson, Kansas?"

"No, he's from Texas like Rick. They grew up together."

"Carla, I know you will think I'm crazy. You're not going to want to believe this, but just listen. I think our husbands may be serial killers."

To be continued....



Recognized


Too much 'Dateline' =}
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.