Romance Fiction posted March 22, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A man encounters a mysterious woman.

Mysterious Woman

by Lance S. Loria


He was in a hurry to catch the 8:08 pm train home. If he missed it, there wouldn't be another for over an hour. He was tired from a busy day and cold due to the chilly damp weather. He was ready to be home lounging on the sofa after a hot shower. Sometimes things don't work out as planned. Tonight was one of those times.

Through the mist, he spotted a woman in the shadows across the street. Her golden shoulder-length hair caught his attention. Her attractive figure, obvious even under the raincoat, kept his attention. He slowed his walk and stopped at the corner. A quick decision needed to be made. Continue to the train or cross to her side of the street. He was tired...well maybe not too tired. He was cold...well maybe a drink with an attractive woman would cure that. The light changed and he bounded across the street in her direction.

As he closed the distance, he took careful note to confirm she was alone. At least there was no one else talking to her, and she didn't seem to have eyes on anyone. His spirits were lifting. His energy was growing. The cold feeling faded as well.

He realized he was staring at her, but he didn't care. He hoped to make eye contact. As he approached her, he suddenly realized he didn't know what to say; no cute ice breaker came to mind. After all, he didn't usually chase women on the street. His mind raced back and forth; this venture suddenly seemed like a bad idea but only for a moment. Oh damn, he didn't want to fumble this meeting. He was suddenly chilled to the bone.

He walked up to her and stopped. Before he could say a word, she spoke. "Hello stranger. You didn't waste a moment beating a path over to me." She was smiling.
"I didn't realize I was that obvious."

Silently, they looked each other over, then made eye contact.

"I'm Dan Harris."
"I'm Shirley."
Seizing the opportunity to be clever he punned, "Surely you have a last name?"
She smiled again and said, "Yes."

Hmm, no last name given. Dan decided to move on and asked what a beautiful woman was doing standing on a street corner on such a cold evening.
She replied sarcastically, "Perhaps I'm a street walker just trying to make a buck."
To his startled look, she laughed out loud. "Got you with that one."

His expression relaxed and she continued, "I enjoy the cold weather. It makes warming up all the better."

Dan thought to himself, I hit myself on the head with a hammer because it felt so good when I stopped. But he didn't go there. Instead he pursued her with, "Any suggestion how two cold people could warm up now?"

Shirley batted her eyelashes. "A glass of wine would be a good start."

They jumped into a cab, and she gave an address for a nearby wine tasting pub. Dan was feeling good about this mysterious woman. He was enjoying her flirty personality and loved her easygoing smile. It didn't hurt that she was gorgeous.

As the taxi came to a stop Shirley said, "I'll get the cab fare...you can pay for the wine. I don't want you to get the wrong idea...at least not yet."

Once inside, they found a table for two near a roaring fireplace. Not too close, but enough to feel some warmth. They shed their coats and Shirley was more beautiful than Dan had imagined. He looked her over slowly like a fox looking at chickens in the coop. "Down boy", she ordered, "at least wait for the wine."

For two hours their talk was about life in general but nothing personal; Shirley cleverly managed to avoid such questions and topics. After two hours, Dan suggested going someplace else.
"Wherever would we go?" she asked. "My place?"

"That sounds great", Dan quickly replied. "Assuming you live nearby and have wine."
Shirley said, "You pay the check and I'll hail a taxi."

Dan handed the waiter cash which was faster. Then he grabbed his coat and headed to the front door.

Once outside, Shirley was nowhere in sight.

He had also missed the last train.



Recognized


This is a bit more than a grab. The options for more chapters are alive and well.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lance S. Loria All rights reserved.
Lance S. Loria has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.