Fantasy Fiction posted March 21, 2019 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Maggie talks with Stephen and Geoffrey

A chapter in the book Renaissance of Enchantment

Chapter Five, Part 1

by Y. M. Roger




Background
They now have Memphis as their house nymph back at The Refuge, and they are preparing for Maggie and Addy's arrival. Demetrius got the phone number he asked for from Geoffrey earlier today.
Maggie stared at the paper in front of her in disbelief.
 
…..twenty-seven room residence/boarding house legally titled The Refuge and accompanying thirty-seven acres with two out-buildings; five-stall barn with tack room and loft; and four acre lake (see attached deed and notarized survey). Four horses (see specifications paragraph 4c) and …..
 
She lifted her wide eyes to Stephen and Geoffrey and immediately narrowed them.
 
“But why are you showing this to me, gentlemen?”
 
Maggie was determined to keep a handle on the excitement that tried to build inside of her as she let her gaze drift momentarily to Eduardo and then back again. Because she knew there was no way this was real – best she could figure, it was the State’s way of getting her to reveal who she was so that they could take Addison from her.
 
“I wish I knew who this Marguerite Atkinson was so that–”
 
The larger of the two gentlemen cut her off, his voice firm if not commanding although she felt no malice flow from him.
 
“We understand, Ms. Bee, that you know exactly who she is.” His eyes were as kind as his voice was firm. “Just as you knew Ms. Son in the interim between her and yourself.”
 
Before Maggie had time to completely process that, the smaller and much gentler in appearance of the two spoke up.
 
“And Mar-…..er, Rita, we are simply the attorneys for Ms. Rosemary Fenna, Marguerite’s aunt on her mother’s side. And all we wish to do is to bring you and Addison home to the property she left for her niece. Nothing more.”
 
Maggie felt the excitement dim and the panic rise at his mention of Addison. She flashed her eyes to Eduardo who had now been joined by Scully only to find the two of them giving her reassuring nods and two thumbs up.
 
“You believe them then?”
 
Stephen and Geoffrey both looked behind them and then back at Maggie, their facial expressions awash with questions.
 
“You been lookin’ for a ticket out, Miss Maggie.” Eduardo was always so solid and even Scully looked settled with the situation. “I’d say you’d found it, heh?”
 
Scully’s face was just as excited as his inability to sit still would lead you to believe.
 
Maggie huffed and nodded at them as she let her gaze fall back to the two men in suits, a slight frown of confusion having appeared on each of their countenances. And, in the window behind the men, the kittens and a few more neighborhood felines that had gathered sat perched in the front window as if they had a front row seat to some important show. She couldn’t help but smile at that.
 
“Sorry.” She chuckled as she tried to reassure the two men seated at the table with her. “I trust their opinion.”
 
Geoffrey’s face shown in a caricaturist manner, his eyebrows raised quite high as he glanced along her line of sight over his shoulder and back to her. “The cats?”
 
Maggie snorted at his joke. At least it seemed one of them had a sense of humor – the jury was still out on the larger one.
 
Geoffrey fidgeted somewhat and looked as though he wanted to say something more, but Stephen reached over and quieted him with a firm grip on his forearm.
 
“Then we can pick up you and Addison about seven in the morning at this” – Stephen slid a piece of paper with her correct address on it across the table – “building then?”
 
Maggie felt her panic rise again.
 
Tomorrow morning?” She asked, her voice sounding a bit incredulous. She glanced at her watch and shot another questioning look Eduardo’s way, “As in, just over twelve hours from now?”
 
Geoffrey tried to smile in reassurance, although it still seemed some question remained in his eyes.
 
“Don’t worry, Rita, our flight is out of LaGuardia at noon.” He began gathering the paperwork they had gone through – Maggie tried to hand him the one she still held. “Oh, no, ma’am. You keep that copy for your records.” Geoffrey continued as he leaned across the small table and indicated the letterhead. “And this is my cell if you have any questions at all. Call me any time, okay?”
 
Maggie began to nod in compliance, but then did get a bit incredulous.
 
“But what about our furniture and stuff? I can’t just le–”
 
Stephen cut her off as he stood to pull Geoffrey’s chair for him – how very polite of the larger gentleman, Maggie thought.
 
“We can have a moving company take care of all of your larger belongings, young lady.” Once again, commanding yet gentle; how did he do that? “Just be sure to take a few pics of the place so that you can inform Mr. Staltson here of exactly what items will need to be shipped. Everything you will need in the meantime is at The Refuge.”
 
Before she had time to respond to that, Geoffrey continued as he stood with the larger man protectively at his back.
 
“Believe me, Ms. Bee, you will be much more comfortable there, and it is all yours.” He glanced around the diner and then smiled his gentle smile of reassurance again before adding with a bit more finality. “No one can take it away from you.”
 
He winked as Stephen began to escort him toward the door, a large hand gentle in the small of his back.
 
They paused as Stephen opened the door for Geoffrey and called back to Maggie as she still sat at the table in disbelief.
 
“Seven ay-em, young lady, no later.”
 
Maggie nodded as she refocused on the paper this ‘Mr. Geoffrey Staltson, Esquire’ had left for her records – another snort at that thought. The most records she had were her carefully documented records for Addy’s education.
 
She felt as though her carefully constructed life had just been upended and some weird-ass dream state had set in. She glanced up at Eduardo and Scully again.
 
“Looks like you’ll be leaving work early tonight, Miss Maggie.” Eduardo’s deep, rumbly voice was followed by Scully’s as they both stood.
 
“Yeah,” Scully added, looking around as if expecting trouble just as he always did, “You and the Addi-man will be home before dark tonight.”
 
Oh, for criminey’s sake, they were right! She had to pack for them both and get Addy to bed at a decent hour and….aack! Addy had no idea about…
 
Rachal’s hand landing on her shoulder startled her mask of calm, and she let out a slight eeep at the contact.
 
“Everything okay, Rita?” Rachal came around the table in front of her, and, when Maggie looked up, Eduardo and Scully had moved to the window just beside the door – Scully busying himself with teasing the cats through the glass.
 
Maggie snorted at the two of them as she looked up at Rachal and her gum-smackiness.
 
“I didn’t interrupt ‘cuz everything looked civil and the like, but you look a little dazed, hunny.”
 
Maggie shook her head and began to stand.
 
“Dazed?” Maggie took a deep breath – the cats outside were having a field day with Scully annoying them through the window – as a big smile began to pull across her face. “Dazed is a word, Rachal.”
 
Rachal’s gum smacking slowed as a small frown pinched her brow, but before she could inquire further, Maggie continued.
 
“But you know what a better word or, I should say, words would be?”
 
Rachal smiled and shook her head in the negative. It was obvious the older woman had no idea what kind of a response their Rita was looking for right now.
 
An inner glow lit up Rita’s face – Maggie could feel it explode on the inside as her happiness bubbled over with her words.
 
“The best words would be, ‘I quit’, Rachal.”
 
Rachal laughed and patted Maggie’s shoulder as she began to walk away. “Don’t we all wish we could, Ri–”
 
Maggie calmly pushed her chair in as she interrupted the older woman.
 
“Seriously, Rach.” Maggie felt the ‘rightness’ of the situation settle deep inside of her. “I quit!”
 
Rachal paused and glanced at her in question as Maggie turned to Lars in the small crowded café that had suddenly gone very quiet. She felt a thrill rush through her insides and manifest itself as a cross between a squeal and a childish giggle rolled out of her.
 
And, man! Did it feel good!!
 
“I quit, Lars!” She beamed as she folded her apron neatly and placed it on the service counter on her way to the office to retrieve Addy. “It’s been real and all that, but I’m moving to Alabama in the morning!”
 
Lars scoffed out loud as he shook his head in disbelief and indignation.
 
“Alabama?” His eyebrows disappeared in the hair that peeked out from the deli cap that he wore. “Alabama?!! Rita Bee you really are nuts, girl!”
 
“Lars!” Rachal hollered at him as she made to follow Maggie who had ducked into the backroom to get Addison.
 
“No, Rachal, I will not be quiet this time! That girl is certifiable!” He was ranting only to the remaining customers as both waitresses had left the main café area. He looked at one of the unsuspecting customers seated at the counter. “Does she even know what kind of crazies live in the South?”

To be continued...

*****************************


Maggie - Marguerite B. Atkinson. Maggie is Rosemary’s great-niece.
Maggie A. Son - Maggie’s alias when she lived with Dorothy
Rita Bee - Maggie’s current alias & the name she is known by at the Courtside
Addison (Addy) Westmorland - little boy with Maggie, being raised by her
Dorothy Westmorland - Addy's mother (deceased)
Larson ‘Lars’ Carney – owner of the Courtside Coffee-N-Cola, the diner where Maggie works
Rachal - other waitress at the Courtside Coffee-N-Cola
Eduardo - waits to walk Maggie home when she works late
Scully - with Eduardo to walk Maggie home
Julio DeJesus - apparent maintenance man in Maggie and Addy’s building  
Bongo - Maggie & Addy's large, black cat
Twilight - Great Gray Owl seen outside the diner and at Maggie's apartment
 
Rosemary - (deceased) Rosemary Fenna, Sister of the World Wide Hecate Order (WWHO) and Guardian Protectress of The Refuge
Demetrius - tall, mysterious male resident of The Refuge, marked for death (perhaps more) by the WWHO
Peadar - Irish male resident of The Refuge, helped Rosemary with upkeep
Lycaois - (aka Lyca) Goth, warrior-looking female resident of The Refuge
Freki - Lyca's over-sized pet 'dog'
Koko - Native American male resident of The Refuge, has unending optimism and warmth about him...most of the time
Kato - large male Refuge resident who wears the clothes of a teenager. Kato is a young lion-shifter.
Memphis - nymph from Demetrius' original homeland, now auberge factotum to The Refuge
 
Geoffrey Staltson - Rosemary's lawyer and friend to the residents at The Refuge
Charlise Staltson - Geoffrey's wife (they have a three-way marriage - Geoffrey, Gary, and Charlie)
Gary Staltson - Geoffrey's husband
Stephen - private investigator employed by Geoffrey
Jinx - computer hack/whiz working with Stephen, handles all the tech-forensics for investigations. Jinx is Stephen’s partner.


 



Recognized


Don't worry, folks....the author was born, raised, and lives in the South. And Lars is just...well, he's Lars. :) :)

Thank you for keeping up with Maggie's saga -- you are welcome to pop into my portfolio and bring yourself up to speed. It is a fantasy story so, with all the nuances and clues included as the story unfolds, trying to do anything along the lines of 'summarizing' is close to impossible. Just get yourself a pitcher of tea and relax and enjoy -- You won't regret it! ;) :)


Image 'Pauli's Diner Ambiance (rain, city noises,...)' from Google images via YouTube


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.