General Fiction posted March 21, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Anyone can do it.

Easy-Peasy

by Heather Knight


Jill wanted to have some money to buy clothes. Her mother had told her she was old enough to start working and would stop her allowance in two months.

As she didn't want to slave away in a shop, she came up with the idea of becoming a babysitter.

'How difficult can it be? Children are cute and looking after them is easy-peasy.'

Her mother stopped washing the dishes for a moment and smiled.

'Easy-peasy indeed,' she said, her tone mischievous.

Jill had a little advert printed and stuck it on various trees around her neighbourhood.

Two days later, she got a call. Mrs Winslet wanted her to look after her baby while she went to a friend's house for tea.

'Do you have any experience?' she asked Jill.

'Yes... I have looked after Billy...'

Mrs Winslet interrupted and gave her the details of the job before she had time to explain Billy was her goat.

That evening, as soon as Mrs Winslet left, Jill took a Dr Spock book out of her rucksack. She was eager to learn more about children.

Little Joe Winslet slept peacefully for an hour or so, but then suddenly started crying so loud that it seemed somebody was burning his toes.

Jill checked his nappy, it was clean. Then she gave him his dummy, but he didn't seem to want it.

'Maybe you are hungry,' Jill said.

She remembered she had seen some vegetables in the kitchen and decided to make some soup. Not for a single moment did she consider some milk would have been more appropriate.

Jill knew as much about cooking as she knew about babies, so she decided to look for a recipe online.

Eventually Little Joe cried himself to sleep and Jill abandoned her culinary project half-way.

At nine thirty, Mrs Winslet came back.

'Has my little angel behaved?' she asked from the hall.

'Yes, perfectly,' Jill said walking towards her. 'See how quiet he is.'

Mrs Winslet looked mystified.

'Why are you hugging a cabbage? Where is my son?'

They both ran towards the living room and then the kitchen. There, gurgling happily inside a big pot, they found Little Joe.

It seems the stress had got to Jill...



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.