Writing Non-Fiction posted March 17, 2019 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Being a Hospice Nurse Is a Calling

A chapter in the book Hospice Heart

The Call To Be a Hospice Nurse

by SLMorrical




Background
Being a Hospice Nurse is not for everyone. It is a calling like being a nun is a calling.

The calling for a Hospice Nurse can come at any time. When I received the call,  I didn’t know it. I had only been a nurse for six months. I was working in a nursing facility and had a patient that was in distress. The patient’s noisy breathing sounded very wet. The patient was filling up with fluid and of course, was uncomfortable. I had called the doctor and the family and was told nothing was going to be done and the family would be in the next day.

I went to the employee break room sat down and cried. I had to let this patient drown in their fluids, and there was nothing I could do. This was not why I went into the nursing field. Since I was upset because I could not make that patient comfortable, that was the start of the calling to a Hospice Heart. Hospice Nurses try every, and anything to make a patient comfortable.

I left that facility six months after that because I was just pushing pills and doing paperwork, also not why I wanted to be a nurse. Some nurses like the hustle and bustle of the emergency room. Others like trauma, surgery, and even just working in a facility.  Nurses like doctors can have specialties. I have worked in many different specialties. From a long-term, rehabilitation facility, to assisted living with memory care.

I also worked as a nurse in our county jail. None of these fulfilled why I became a nurse. Unhappy nurses become burnt-out nurses. A burnt-out nurse is a dangerous nurse. A burnt-out nurse can make mistakes that can be life-threatening.  I was becoming a burnt-out nurse and wanted out of nursing. I didn't want to be a danger to my patients or myself.

Many nurses get burnt out working in long-term care facilities. Many of these nurses keep working in them burnt out. I was not one of those nurses. I went back to school to get out of nursing. While working on my Ph.D. online, I started working for hospice on an as-needed status. My first case was following another hospice nurse. I saw how much of a difference she made for the patient and their family that I was instantly hooked.

Working as a Hospice Nurse is nursing for me. This is why I became a Nurse. Nursing can mean so much to each nurse. Finding where you fit as a nurse makes all the difference. I make a difference to the patients and their families. I also get to see the difference I make. I don’t do this for any recognition or praise. Most nurses don’t get either anyway.

I enjoy being a Hospice Nurse and I am rewarded by knowing the patient is comfortable, peaceful, and out of pain. I am also rewarded by the comfort I can give to the patient’s family. Being a Hospice Nurse is not for everyone. I hear every day from different people, “I couldn’t do what you do.”  I have always been an emotional and spiritual individual, and I can always tell when someone needs comfort.

I just do my job without thought or hesitation. It just comes naturally. I don’t get scared or freaked out by the strange occurrences that come with the job. I will go over those in a later chapter.  I believe I was destined to be a Hospice Nurse because it does come so naturally. I love my job and wouldn’t stop doing it unless I couldn’t do it anymore. I am a Hospice Nurse and I have a Hospice Heart. I was called to be a Hospice Nurse and wouldn’t change anything, except to have found my calling earlier. I believe in fate and destiny, and being a Hospice Nurse is my fate and destiny. Unfortunately, I had to stop working as a Hospice Nurse, due to an injury that prevented me from working as a Hospice Nurse anymore.





Thank you for all and any feedback. I am writing this book on being a Hospice Nurse, because a friend suggested I do it. I was a Hospice Nurse for 13 years until an injury prevented me from preforming my job as a Hospice Nurse. I enjoyed working as a Hospice Nurse. Thank you Google images for the picture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. SLMorrical All rights reserved.
SLMorrical has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.