Romance Fiction posted March 10, 2019 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The next morning, McKenzie is still struggling.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 2 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anybody wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.
Ending of Previous Post:

McKenzie managed to open an eye. "Did he say I'm stuck with you in this room for hours?"

Glancing at his watch, Logan replied, "I don't know when you ingested the drugs. To be safe I'd say you're stuck with me for another eight hours."

She attempted to sit. "I could really use a drink," she slid down, "of water."

Logan unwrapped a hotel glass and filled it with water. "I'll get you one." She held out her hand, and he grinned. "There's no way I'm giving you this without help. You'll spill it. Then I'd have to give up the dry bed. I doubt you want us sharing a bed." He used his free arm to raise her so she could drink. "Go slowly until we know if you're going to keep it down."

After she took a few sips, she closed her eyes. "Thank you. You're a little bit nice."

"Yeah, right." Logan chuckled as he grabbed the remote control. "I hope there's a game on. I'm sure the Cards are blocked. Wait, they're playing in Atlanta." He turned his head to check on McKenzie. Good, she's asleep. I wonder what mess she's gotten into. Since Dad hired her yesterday, I doubt it has anything to do with Whitney. What else is she working on? I'll never find out tonight. She probably wouldn't tell me anyway.

A few hours later, Logan heard a commotion in the hotel hallway. He glanced through the peephole. It's only people checking-in. I guess I'm a little jumpy. He returned to his chair. Nobody would expect her to be here anyway. "Good, Yadi's up." He watched the first pitch. "Come on, we need a hit." Again, he glanced at the door. We could've been followed. I got careless. I never checked to see what those two jerks did. Tomorrow I'll visit the bartender and see what he knows about them.


TODAY'S POST:

As the sun rose the following morning, McKenzie began to stir. "Argh, I have a massive headache."

From his bed, Logan rolled toward her. "Do you remember anything about last night?"

She studied him. "What are you doing in that bed?"

"It was either this bed or the one you're in. I figured you didn't want me in your bed. So I slept over here. It seemed the right thing to do." Logan stood. "Besides the headache, how are you feeling? What do you remember about last night?"

"One question at a time, and what's your name again?" She squinted. "You're...wait. I know this...you're Nelson, but what's your first name?"

He sat on the edge of the bed. "Logan. You're still a mess. I'll shower while you get yourself together." He pointed at the door. "Don't open it. You could be in danger."

"None of this makes sense."

"You're right about that. After I finish in here, you can get in. Over breakfast, we can try to sort it out. Just rest for now."

After Logan finished his bathroom routine, McKenzie watched him for a few moments. "I want to go home. It won't do me any good to shower. I need clean clothes."

"Can you walk?"

"What do you mean?"

"Try standing."

McKenzie sat on the edge of the bed and attempted to stand. "I'm up." She took a wobbly step and plopped down on the bed. "What happened?"

"Do you remember going to the Irish Pub last night?"

"Yes, one of the police detectives working on the case said George Whitney frequented that place. I thought I could observe him."

"Was he there?"

She thought and then shook her head. "I don't think so."

"Do you remember talking to any men there?"

"No." McKenzie released a deep breath, before she added, "Wait, there was a man who kept coming to the bar. He never really said anything but he gawked at me. I have no idea why."

"Did you know him?" After she shook her head, Logan asked, "What did he look like?"

She studied Logan. "Could you stand for a second?" He did, and she said, "Tall, but a little shorter than you. How tall are you?"

"Six-two. So maybe six foot." She nodded, and he asked, "How much did he weigh?"

"I didn't put him on a scale or really pay that much attention." McKenzie scanned Logan. "Less than you. He was skinnier. Not as muscular."

Logan grinned. "I just felt I was in a meat market. Remind me not to do that to women." He rubbed his chin. "I'm about two hundred pounds, so maybe a hundred seventy-five." He waited a few moments before he asked, "Can you describe him? Hair color, eye color? Maybe you can give the police sketch artist a description."

"He had blondish light brown hair. I'm not sure of his eye color, I didn't look that close." McKenzie held up her left arm and pointed to the inside of it. "He had a tatt here. I remember because it was a snake coiled and a scorpion next to it. I thought that was strange."

He tossed some blankets further onto his bed. "You have a good start on a sketch." After pausing a moment he asked, "Could you draw the tatt?"

"I'm not a good artist but I could try." McKenzie accepted a small pad of paper and a pen from Logan and grinned. "I guess it doesn't matter if it has the hotel's logo on it."

A few minutes later, Logan studied the drawing. "Not bad. I'll hang on to this in case we need it for identification. Since you don't want to shower now, how about some breakfast?"

"No way! My stomach's jumpy. I do want a shower." She studied the Band-Aid on her arm. "What's this from?"

"You don't remember much, do you? A buddy of mine came by. He's a lab tech. He took some blood to see what drug you were given."

McKenzie closed her eyes and thought. "I do remember that. His name started with an 's'."

"Yes, Simon Knight." Logan scanned the room. "Let's get you home. Think you can walk?" He shook his head. "Never mind. I'll help." He stood beside her. "Use my arm to steady yourself."

She studied her feet. "My shoes. Do you know where they are?"

Logan walked over to the dresser. "I put them over here last night." He noticed her eyes widen. "They're the only thing I touched." He brought them to her. "Let me help."

"I think I can." She bent over to try but closed her eyes. "I'm dizzy."

"Not surprised. Simon said it'd stay in your system for at least twelve hours."

"What time is it?"

Glancing at his watch, Logan said, "Eight-thirty."

"It's got to be over twelve hours, doesn't it?"

He fastened the last heeled sandal. "One would think so. Ready? Here's my arm." He held it out for her to take. "Those heels are pretty high. You sure you can walk in them? I don't want you hurting an ankle."

After a few wobbly steps, McKenzie released a deep sigh. "I guess it's bare feet for me."

Logan handed her the car keys. "Hold these." He put his arms under her. "I carried you in, I'll carry you out."

"How'd you get my keys?"

"You couldn't drive, so I helped myself. You have a nice ride by the way. Matter-of-fact, I'm driving you home. You're in no shape to drive."

"I don't like the idea of you taking over my life."

He set her in the parking lot. "Last night I rescued your butt from probably being raped or worse. Now, I'm keeping you safe until the drug wears off. If you don't want my help, I'll leave." He started to walk away.

McKenzie took a step and stumbled a little. "Logan, please stay." She held up the car keys. "I guess I've been ungrateful. Will you accept my apology?"




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardindal's all-star catcher.



Recognized


Thank you google images of a snake tattoo. This post is a little over 1000 words. I am also still working on the book summary. I'm on spring break!!!! Yeah!!! Maybe I can get the summary under control then. I don't have it the way I want it yet. Thank you for the encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.