Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 10, 2019 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Tommy continues to run from the law.

A chapter in the book Eyes on You

Nowhere to Run

by Mistydawn


Summary

Tommy is told that his pregnant wife Jen’s condition is declining and that the only thing that’ll save her is a heart transplant. He’s then informed the hospital requires $10,000 for her aftercare. Being denied financial assistance, Tommy turns to a life of crime; robbing houses, and then selling the stolen goods for cash. He and his two friends are in the middle of a job when the owners return. The police question Tommy, releasing him soon after. Tommy is attacked by a dog trying to rob a house on his own. He discovers three dead bodies when he makes it inside. Tommy grabs the contents of the safe and flees. The neighbor informs the police of his escape. He's taken to the station for the second time. With an alibi for the time of the murders, he's released. The doctor informs him that Jen needs the operation within a week. In great desperation, he asks Hernandez for his job back. A job he supported himself with until he was old enough to get a legitimate job. Tommy managed to evade the law at a job site and then again at his friend's house.  He asks his friend to meet him at the park. The police show up with him. Tommy runs towards the woods, getting caught up in a vine.

The noise continues to get closer as Tommy struggles to free himself from the vine; the tips of his fingers are bloody from pricking himself with its thorns. Realizing he can't pry the greenery loose, he looks for something that'll cut through the plant. Seeing a sharp rock, Tommy anxiously reaches for it; he soon discovers it's too far away. Sliding towards the stone he tries again. The object is still out of reach. Just a little further, he thinks. The vine tightens around his leg as he stretches across the ground. He clenches his teeth and tries to grab the object again. The vine cuts deeper into his skin. I'm almost there, he thinks as the tips of his fingers graze the edge. Extending his arm out, Tommy tries to close his fingers around it. His palm taps the corner; it scoots further away. "Damn it."

He starts to try again when he notices a bush quivering in the near distance. He glances towards it and then the rock again. I have to hurry. Planting the tips of his shoes in the dirt, he lifts himself up with his left arm, his right arm extended out. I hope this works. He pushes himself forward with his feet as he lunges towards the rock. The cold object hit his hand, he quickly scoops it up.

Tommy returns to an upright position and begins to cut through the vine. The bushes rattle again. He moves the object faster across his restraint. "Come on, come on, please work, please work," he begs, nervously glancing ahead. The brush continues to shake in front of him. Tommy moves the rock back and forth. The vine starts to give way. I've almost got it. The brush rattles louder than before. Tommy glances up to see the disturbance is closer. I've got to escape, I just gotta. He saws through the vine even quicker than before.

The noise suddenly stops. He nervously looks over and discovers a little cotton tail in front of him. "I was scared of that?" Chuckling, he continues to work through the vine. The dogs start yapping a few feet away. "They brought the dogs?" He moves his arm back and forth as fast as he can. The last little strand breaks free; Tommy scrambles to his feet.

Reaching the warehouse, Tommy pounds on the old wooden door. "Please be here, please be here," he begs as he pounds again. The door slowly creaks open. "Mr. Hernandez, oh, thank god you're here." Stepping inside, Tommy secures the door behind him.

"What's the matter, son?"

"The cops are after me and I don't know what to do."

"The cops, you didn't bring them here, did you?" he asks. He anxiously glances through the peephole.

"I lost them in the woods a few miles back." Plopping down in a chair, Tommy examines his leg.

"You're bleeding like a sieve."

"I broke it open when I fell."

"Let's get you fixed up and then we'll figure out what to do." The two are heading towards the back when someone pounds on the front door.

"Police, open up."

"Run, Tommy, run," Hernandez orders as he darts towards the back.

***

Jimmy is sleeping on a church pew when he's woken by what sounds to be a dozen police sirens. He sees a horde of officers gathered around the old warehouse when he throws the door open. I hope they're not after Tommy, he thinks as he watches the scene unfold. Glancing around, he notices a canine barking frantically as he pulls on his leash.

"Go get him, boy," the officer orders as he releases the harness. The canine runs towards the woods, the officer is right behind him. The warehouse door flies open, two cops drag a tall, beefy man through the door.

They're not looking for Tommy after all. Relieved, he starts to head back inside. A greasy-haired young man steps up beside him. The man looks like a walking skeleton covered with a thin layer of skin, his teeth are mere rotten slivers protruding from his red, swollen gums.

"Hey man, did you hear what's going down?"

"No, what?"

"They've just arrested the town's biggest drug supplier."

"Really?"

"Him and his crew. Guess we'll have to go to Harrison to get our dope now."

"You don't need the stuff anyhow." 

"Yeah, whatever, man."

"Why do they have the canines?"

"One of his accomplices ran towards the woods. I don't think he'll get too far, not the way he's bleeding."

"He's bleeding?"

"Yeah, man, like really bad."

"What did this accomplice look like?"

"He was around six feet with sandy blond hair."

"It's Tommy," he shrieks.

"You know him, man?"

"Yeah, he's my bro, well like my bro. We're really tight."

"Gotcha."

"I've got to help him, but how?"

"I don't know what to tell you."

Jimmy glances towards the officers, and then the woods again. I could meet him on the other side. He then recalls leaving his car to ensure he wouldn't be followed. I knew they'd park a cop outside my place, glad Tommy did too. "Do you have a car?"

"All I got is this trike."

"Give me the keys," Jimmy orders, holding out his hand.

"Yeah, I don't know about that. I mean my dad bought it for me and if it gets torn up..."

"Take me then." Seeing him hesitate, Jimmy continues. "You don't want my friend mutilated, do you?"

"No, but..."

"Take me then." Jimmy jumps on the bike.

***

Linda's been having this feeling that something bad is about to happen all day long. No matter what she says or does this gut-wrenching feeling just wouldn't go away. The anxiety is so bad that it's making her sick. 

Maybe I should call Jimmy, find out if he's spoken to Tommy. She starts to dial his number when she hears the announcer's voice boom across the TV.

"This just came in: the police have captured two known criminals and are on a manhunt for the third." A picture flashes across the screen.

"It's Daddy, it's Daddy," Chris chants.

Linda glances at the TV. "Oh my God, it is," She runs across the room.

"This man is thought to be armed and dangerous. If you see him, do not try to approach him. You should seek safety immediately, and then call your local police department or sheriff's office," the announcer finishes.

"Armed and dangerous? Tommy doesn't have a gun. I have to call Jimmy, find out if he knows what's going on." The phone goes straight to voice mail. "Damn it." She slams her phone on the table.

Evelyn darts out of the kitchen. "What's wrong, Linda?"

"The police are after Tommy."

"Do you know where he might hide?"

"Yeah, but I can't get there without a car." The cop would probably follow me anyhow, she thinks, looking out the window. She was sure he'd been there all night long. She glances at her nephews. "Besides, I've got these rug rats to care for. Oh, what am I going to do?" She plops down at the table.

"Take my car." She tosses Linda her keys.

"What about the boys?"

"I'll stay here until you get back."

"Thanks, Evelyn, you're the greatest." Linda grabs her purse and heads towards the door. She'd just made it to the hallway when her phone vibrates in her hand. "Tommy?" she answers.

"Sorry, Linda it's just me returning your call."

"Oh, Jimmy, what's going on? Have you heard from him? Is he alright? Please,
Jimmy, please, you have to tell me something."

"Slow down."

Taking a deep breath, she tries again. "Have you talked to him?"

"Not since this morning, but someone saw him running towards the woods. "I'm trying to find him before the police do."

"The woods, near the park?"

"Yeah, why do you know where he might go?"

"I think..." Remembering the phones are tapped she stops.

"What, Linda, what?"

"Sorry, I didn't want little ears to hear. Go on Tommy, go play with your sister Jenny in the cave. I'll call you right back, once I get Tommy and Jenny settled in the cave, alright?"

"OK, but.."

I hope he understands, she thinks as she heads towards Evelyn's car.

Jimmy continues to search the woods when something Linda said makes him pause. "Wait a minute; Tommy doesn't have a little girl, does he? No, he has four boys. They don't have a boy named Tommy either. I don't think they do. I know they talked about it, but I thought they decided against it. Let's see, there's Chris, Adam, Gabe, and oh, what's the oldest one's name? Timmy, that's it. So why did she say what she did? Was she trying to tell me something? Jen and Tommy in the cave? What's that supposed to mean? What did she mean when she said little ears? Ears, was she talking about the phone being bugged? Yeah, that's what she meant, but what about Tommy playing with his sister in the cave? Tommy and Jenny in the cave, he repeats. I know what she means now," he says as he dashes through the woods.

Characters

 Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry, Jimmy, Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife
Linda, Tommy's older sister.
Evelyn, Jen and Linda's friend
Salois brothers, Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.

Berryville PD
Kirk- detective.
 Rachel sergeant
 Joe captain
Jerry detective


Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.

Berryville PD
Kirk- detective.
 Rachel sergeant
 Joe captain
Jerry detective

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.