Fantasy Fiction posted March 8, 2019 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Some revelations, perhaps, with Memphis' arrival...

A chapter in the book Renaissance of Enchantment

Chapter Four, Part 3

by Y. M. Roger

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Peadar grasped her long, elegant hand and tried to pull his focus from the voluptuous view – complete with a fresh yet dainty floral necklace accent – displayed in front of him as he whispered his lips across the back of it. “Peadar Kavanagh, blessed one.” He finally looked up into her ice blue eyes. “Your servant, I’m sure.”
 
Memphis almost glowed with her contentment.
 
“My sincerest gratitude, Peadar.” She turned their joined hands and whispered against the hairy back of Peadar’s hand. “And you all are secure in my being.”
 
Memphis rose to full height once again. She was not quite as tall as Lycaios – who stood in awe yet still frowning about the appearance of the glowing beauty’s ear. Memphis’ bright, colorful sundress and creamy skin without blemishes were certainly a contrast to the black leather tights and chained tunic and jewelry of the dangerous, tattooed Lyca. She turned her radiant gaze slightly upward to meet that dark, frowning expression as her voice took on a much less defensive and combative tone. A gentle smile engulfed her face.
 
“I did not mean to startle.” Memphis slightly dipped her head in acknowledgement to the seemingly shell-shocked Lycaios. As she spoke, she dug her fingers into the thick, rough fur of the large wolf, Freki, that had begun nuzzling the front of her torso. “But could I possible speak with the honorable Madam Fenna who must be the Guar—”
 
“She’s dead.” Kato rose from the table and began to move toward the three.
 
Memphis caught her breath in horror at that revelation? At Kato’s size? “But…”
 
There was a low growl emanating from within Kato’s chest, his eyes glowing a soft yet piercing amber, “And how did you get through her wards?”
 
As Kato advanced, both Freki and Peadar jumped in front of Memphis as if to defend the new arrival. Koko leapt up from the table as Memphis’ eyes hardened, but it was Lycaios who intercepted the large Kato.
 
“Down boy,” Lyca growled in warning, “the wards keep out the unwanted. We just had a house full of people yesterd—”
 
Her hand landed forcefully in the middle of his chest yet her voice remained gentle and firm. Kato made to push against her, his eyes still locked on Memphis in a predatoral display.
 
“Yeah, well, she’s not people.” Kato was undeterred, his eyes and face shimmering toward shift as he pushed forward, seeming to ignore Lyca’s presence completely.
 
Lyca pushed back harder as Koko appeared beside her.
 
“Kato!” The both of them said together, although it was not yelled nor growled.
 
Kato seemed to hear them this time as he blinked his eyes in recognition.
 
“Let him through, please,” Memphis stated firmly, her eyes becoming alight with wonder. “How long since Madam Fenna’s passing?”
 
Not turning from facing Kato nor lowering her hand from his broad chest, Lyca responded.
 
“Three days.” Her voice almost more forceful than it had been toward the advancing Kato. “Memphis?”
 
It seemed Lyca wanted assurance that Memphis realized what she was asking.
 
Kato’s vision still shown amber with his amped emotions, but Memphis would not be deterred.
 
“He is young, Mistress.” Memphis stepped around Peadar and to Lyca’s side, her arm brushing the dark female’s, resulting in a chill racing up through the cryptic tattoos thereon. Lyca caught her breath and momentarily shut her eyes at the contact as she purposefully separated herself from any more contact with Memphis.
 
Kato’s eyes never left the beautiful blonde female as she opened her arms in a welcoming stance.
 
“And he longs for your departed Protectress,” she paused and opened her arms wider, her face a complete picture of a nurturing mother, “Come, Kato. They are your friends and are here for you.” She raised her arms higher and wider as his eyes darted from the waiting beauty to the perplexed group and back again. “And I would hold you if you would let me.”
 
Kato only hesitated a moment longer before he allowed his large being to fall into her waiting arms, and his body almost immediately began to tremble with his sobs.
 
“Gods, I miss her so much!” He wept into her silken hair as he held her smaller frame so tight it might break, but Memphis simply rubbed his back up and down as she somehow managed to support his bulk. “When mom left me here, Miss Rosemary promised she’d always be here, and now she’s gone, too!”
 
Memphis held him tighter as the others stood in shocked silence, their mouths hanging open in disbelief. Kato was massive; how young could he be? Only Freki stepped forward to stand beside Memphis and whine up at Kato who continued to fall apart.
 
“And everyone here hates me! I want to leave, but I can’t! Oh, Gods, I’m so fucking scared!”
 
Finally, Koko stepped up beside them and placed a calming hand on Kato’s shoulder.
 
“Of course, we do not hate you, Kato.” The effects of Koko’s touch were almost immediate as the large male’s sobs lessened, and he didn’t grip Memphis quite so tightly. “We just did not realize…”
 
As Koko’s speech trailed off and his gaze fell to the others, they all shook and then nodded their heads, mumbling in agreement with the large Native American – they really had no idea Kato was truly a youth. Rosemary kept everyone’s secret so well that they really didn’t know much about each other’s history.
 
“And the cantankerous Lyca is only like that because she’s jealous of this.” Koko continued as he yanked on a handful of Kato’s mottled and always-mussed hair.
 
“Screw you, Chief Rainbows-n-Unicorns.” Lycaios added without heat as she stepped around to Kato’s other side facing Memphis. Although she still eyed the blonde suspiciously, she playfully punched Kato’s upper arm. “Mane or not, I can still kick your ass, cat.”
 
Kato chuckled warmly as he squeezed Memphis one last time and pulled back to stand to full height again. He continued wiping his eyes and nose with his wrists and finally lifted his shirt to do the same, but Memphis slapped it out of his hands and raised a handkerchief – from whence it came was not quite evident – and quickly wiped his arms and face.
 
“Manners, Kato,” she said.
 
“Yes, ma’am.” Kato responded, a bit stuffy-nosed.
 
“When was the last time you ate, young one?” Memphis was still as radiant as ever as she fell into a strong yet maternal role to the towering male.
 
“Uhhh…,” he looked around, warily.
 
Lycaios looked affronted. “We just ate, Kato!”
 
It was Peadar’s turn to chuckle from behind them as he picked up the parchment announcement that had fallen to the floor and walked to the table.
 
“Hees fed ever’thin’ you give ‘im te tha’ mutt o’ yours, ye clueless bee—”
 
Before Peadar and Lycaios could get into another verbal sparring match, Memphis intervened.
 
“How ‘bout I cook a big meal for everyone?” She shot Peadar a warning look for his language as she reached up and tussled Kato’s hair. “You bring some apples from the trees in the backyard and perhaps I could throw together a pie or cobbler for you as well, handsome. How’s that sound?”
 
Peadar shook his head good-naturedly as Kato nearly jumped out of his skin with enthusiasm.
 
“You got it, Miss Memphis!” he responded happily over his shoulder as he turned to bolt out the back door.
 
All six-plus feet of solid muscle that defined the young lion shifter.
 
Koko smiled and nodded to Memphis.
 
“Welcome, venerable one. We are honored to have you.” He smiled warmly and turned to leave the kitchen, but then stopped to address Peadar. “What can I do in preparations?”
 
Peadar sighed.
 
“Aye, why don’ we git a look at tha’ sittin’ room.” Peadar held the parchment up as it was slowly consumed by an unidentified flame that methodically ate away the material until he dropped the last bits, only to have them dissipate into nothingness.
 
He nodded toward Memphis. “Welcome to The Refuge, Factotum Memphis. I hope ye don’ regret yer ‘pointment.”
 
Memphis smiled and nodded at Peadar as he left with Koko, then she turned her attention to Lyca who regarded her with uncertainty and, perhaps, something more in those dark eyes. That ‘something more’ being indecipherable at this point.
 
“How did you know?”
 
Memphis smiled warmly at her in response and shrugged gracefully.
 
Lycaios had to wonder if there was anything the stunning female did that wasn’t graceful, but she let that thought go. No reason to travel down roads where she was most likely not wanted.
 
“I am not familiar with your kind, Mistress.” Memphis pivoted the conversation away from herself as she reached out to touch the intricate tattoos along Lycaios’ arm. “Although I see you are blessed amo—”
 
Lycaios flinched away from her touch.
 
“Cursed,” she shot back.
“But, Mistress, how can one so beau—”
 
Hurt and more flashed across Lyca’s gaze before she managed to school her features.
 
“Just stay the hell away from me, and we’ll get along fine,” Lycaios warned without much fervor. “I won’t be needing a hug, and I certainly don’t need your fuckin’ platitudes.”
 
Memphis appeared as though Lyca had physically slapped her. Lycaios brushed past the beautiful blonde as she walked to exit the kitchen.
 
“But Mis—”
 
Lyca halted but did not turn around; although, this time, she did raise her voice.
 
“And don’t fuckin’ call me that.” She stormed past Demetrius who had appeared in the doorway, arms crossed across his broad chest, as she finished “My name is Lycaios. Period!”
 
Demetrius raised an eyebrow in amusement as Lyca disappeared into the living areas. He kept his attention trained in that direction until they heard the front door slam. He grunted and turned his attention back to Memphis, raising his eyebrow this time in question.
 
Memphis simply shook her head at him in mock amusement and busied herself with finding pots and such.
 
“Blonde?”
 
Memphis huffed and turned briefly to shrug and flash a mischievous grin at him.
 
“I find that I like it better with all the sun here, Lord.” She continued with her food preparations. “I take it I have you to thank for that parchment just happening to make its way to me?”
 
Demetrius simply grunted again.
 
“Although, I must tell you, Father was not happy about my leaving.”
 
Demetrius dropped his arms and stepped into the kitchen. He was casual now, hair somewhat damp, but still stunning in his Dolce & Gabbana jeans and Ralph Lauren easy shirt. Memphis appeared to barely notice his over-powering presence as he chuckled to himself.
 
“I figured. And I knew it was, most assuredly, a long shot,” he stated as he crossed the kitchen to reach into an upper cabinet that Memphis had been trying to reach, “but I figured there are enough environmentalists and greenies looking out for things now that you could manage some time away.” One side of his mouth curled into a sarcastic grin as Memphis chuckled. “Although, I must admit, I had almost given up. It has been some time since I sent—”
 
Memphis stopped her actions and took a deep breath.
 
“You knew, then,” she whispered quietly as she took the pan from him and then turned her head toward him, “that this Rosemary was dying.”
 
Demetrius nodded solemnly before reaching up and closing the high cabinet.
 
“So, I was your plan for what?” Memphis had no animosity in her voice, “a stop-gap measure until a new Protectress coul—”
 
It was Demetrius’ turn to shrug as he turned away.
 
“In its time, yes.” He leaned back against the large countertop and crossed his arms again. “You could have claimed the premises as yours until a proper Witch could be —”
 
“But, Lord, are you not commissioned to hun—”
 
“I am, but Rosemary had renounced her vows.” Demetrius stared off into a distance before seemingly coming back to the present. “And, truth be known, she did not know everything. She granted me asylum here solely because her former Order wanted me dead. Thus, the advertisement parchment.”
 
Demetrius’ face took on that dark, threatening visage again before continuing.
 
“I could not exactly take out a classified ad for a powerful Witch not associated with any Order.” Demetrius huffed and smiled, but it was not a smile of amusement.
 
Memphis stopped in her preparations again and focused on Demetrius.
 
“And now that she’s gone?”
 
He uncrossed his arms and leaned his hands to either side on the countertop.
 
“Now.” Demetrius paused, took a deep breath, and looked down at Memphis’ questioning face. “Now, there’s an unknown twenty-year-old successor that Rosemary designated arriving tomorrow, and I have no idea if she’s even been trained.”
 
His frustration was evident and Memphis notably demurred from his ominous mood as she continued her preparations.
 
“How do you know she is even gifted?”
 
An evil, knowing smile crept across Demetrius’ lips.
 
“Because her father discarded her about the time those gifts would have begun to manifest.”
 
Memphis dropped her spoon into the bowl as she caught her breath in unfeigned horror.
 
“Discarded? A gift from Isis rejected?”
 
Demetrius pushed away from the counter to walk toward the door.
 
“The sire will pay Her reparation in blood.” Cold. Calculating. “Although I am surprised that the slight seemed to go unnoticed…”
 
Demetrius’ voice trailed off with the sound of Kato approaching from outside.
 
Memphis had to look to see if Demetrius was still in the room.
 
He stood, back to the room, hand gripping the door frame. Tension and something else obviously laced throughout his entire beautiful body encased in those perfectly-fitted clothes.
 
“And myself? Do you still need me here, Lord?”
 
It seemed Demetrius’ muscles that pulled across his back relaxed, if only in the slightest. “That choice is completely up to you, Memphis.” Demetrius turned only his head to the side to finish speaking. “This place. These residents. Even future seekers that will undoubtedly arrive. They all need you. They will need your ageless wisdom and your . . . expertise.”
 
Memphis huffed as she thought about the fascinating yet mysterious Lycaios. “I don’t know about all —”
 
Demetrius cut her off. “All of them, Memphis. No exceptions.”
 
Memphis hummed in thought as Demetrius exited the kitchen. “A house nymph, Lord? For a sanctuary?” she called after him, the grin on her face mischievous yet uncontainable, “Is that even a thing?”
 
It was at that exact moment that Kato barreled through the back door carrying a shirt full of beautiful red and golden apples. His face shown with all the interest and wonder of the child that he truly was.
 
“I got all the ones I could reach without breaking the branches, Miss Memphis! And I don’t care if you make pie or cobbler.” His voice was filled with excitement and anticipation. “Your choice will be the best choice, I just know it!”
 
That comment followed immediately by the unmistakable sound of Demetrius’ laughter echoing down the stairwell and into the kitchen. One had to admit that Kato’s comment was ironic given Demetrius’ parting words.
 
Memphis chuckled as she started taking the fruit from the now-stretched-out shirt Kato wore.
 
“I think you just made it for me, Kato.”
 
Kato’s smile engulfed his entire face as he dumped the last two apples in his ‘shirt-basket’ onto the countertop.
 
“Really?!” he asked enthusiastically.
 
Memphis reached up and tussled his hair.
 
“Really, Kato.” She smiled and turned to look for the cutting board muttering mostly to herself. “Let’s just say that it is definitely a thing now.”
 
To be continued…

 



Recognized


Thank you so very much for reading...it's getting interesting. :) :)

Rosemary - (deceased) Rosemary Fenna, Sister of the World Wide Hecate Order and Guardian Protectress of The Refuge
Geoffrey Staltson - Rosemary's lawyer and friend to the residents at The Refuge
Demetrius - tall, mysterious male resident of The Refuge, does not seem to socialize with the others
Peadar - Irish male resident of The Refuge, helped Rosemary with upkeep
Lycaois - (aka Lyca) Goth, warrior-looking female resident of The Refuge
Koko - Native American male resident of The Refuge, has unending optimism and warmth about him...most of the time
Kato - large male resident who wears the clothes of a teenager
Memphis - nymph from Demetrius' original homeland
Charlise Staltson - Geoffrey's wife (they have a three-way marriage - Geoffrey, Gary, and Charlie)
Gary Staltson - Geoffrey's husband
Freki - Lyca's over-sized pet 'dog'
Stephen - private investigator employed by Geoffrey
Jinx - computer hack/whiz working with Stephen, handles all the tech-forensics for investigations.
Maggie - Marguerite B. Atkinson
Addison (Addy) Westmorland - little boy with Maggie, being raised by her
Dorothy Westmorland - Addy's mother (deceased)


Image of 'Delightful Southern House Plans' at The Image Fixer [theimagefixer.com]
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.