Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 8, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Poliltical motivation misunderstands

Imagination, a Learning Tool

by HarryT


Shame on Democrat Delegate, Marcia Price of Virginia who apparently misunderstood the use of imagination as time honored, and effective educational tool.  It is sad that she took one mother’s misunderstanding of the intention of Mrs. Northam, wife of the embattled governor of Virginia and used it to further her own political agenda.  

There should have been no problem when Mrs. Northam placed cotton puffs in the palms of both black and white children and ask them to imagine what the life of a slave was like. This exercise was meant to enhance insight into the terrible life endured by those held in bondage in their own state of Virginia. The rise from slavery should be a fact of pride for black people, not one of embarrassment as claimed by Ms. Price. Blacks truly, by their tremendous, bootstrapping efforts, have made great progress in spite of Jim Crow and other discriminations still taking place today.  

Facts plus student imagination and personal expression are major implements in the educational toolbox. Activities that stimulate critical thinking are crucial. “We must learn from the past,” as George Santayana famously said, “or we will be condemned to repeat it.”

 



Getting To The Bottom Of It writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Politicians' speeches or comments often are not accurate reflections of what is on their minds.
Exemplify that observation in fewer than 200 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.