General Poetry posted March 5, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Back to front haiku for a mobius strip

Magical Mobius

by Lordinajamjar

waltzing together
 
you to me dear me to you

together waltzing
 



5-7-5 Poem contest entry

Recognized


I pondered how I might make a Mobius poetical. So I crafted a haiku poem designed for a Mobius strip. It reads the same backwards as forwards.

To create your very own mobius
write the first five words of the haiku, "waltzing together you to me" onto a strip of paper about the width of a tape. Turn the paper over and write the next five words "dear me to you together". The second occurrence of "waltzing" is omitted. Finally take one end of the strip and apply a half twist then tape the two ends together.

You have just created a Mobius strip with a poem that never ends.

The Mobius strip is a surface with only one side and only one boundary component. The Mobius strip has the mathematical property of being non-orientable. Its shape is the symbol used for infinity.

I love the concept of the Mobius strip. I only learned of it a few years ago and wondered how I had missed it all those years. Then I discovered most people I spoke to had never heard of it either. So every once in a while I demonstrate it to new folk like yourself. It has truly magical properties.

Want to be enthralled by more of its magic?

Create another Mobius but just draw a line in its centre and your pen will never leave the paper. Cut it in half along the same line. What you produce will delight you.

Now create another one, but this time when beginning the cut start about one third of the way from the edge. The result will astound you.

Have fun. Oh, and spread the word. ;)

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lordinajamjar All rights reserved.
Lordinajamjar has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.