Western Fiction posted March 3, 2019 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
John B. Looks for someone who can lead them to Bo Meadows

A chapter in the book The Convict Train

The Blackburn Ranch

by Mr. Green



Background
New leads will take Kyle, and John Barnabus into dangerous territory as they continue to look for the outlaw Bo Meadows. While Levi rides the train to Olympia, then on to Seatco Prison.
When Joseph Paterson noticed Sheriff Cooley and the two men in his company walking across the street, he took a drag off his cigar, then he stepped off the board walk and pressed the business end of the cigar against the hitching post. When it was extinguished, he placed it into his vest pocket

"Sheriff." Paterson said, as he held out his hand. The sheriff shook the man's hand, and noticed his eyes had shifted to Kyle, who was about as curious as a man could get. The expression on his face clearly exposed that fact. He was full of questions, but before anyone could say another word Paterson turned to face John Barnabus. Not knowing how much information John had already shared with the other two men, Paterson decided to keep the conversation to a minimum for now, and simply said.

"You must be John B. Sawyer. otherwise known as J. B.?"

"I am." John Barnabus said, "...and you, I am going to guess, must be Mr. Luke Miles"

"In a rather round-a-bout way, yes I am." Paterson said.

"Okay," the Sheriff commented, raising the palms of his hands and stopping all other conversation.

"Why don't we step inside where we can carry this on with a little more privacy. I have a feeling this is going to get mighty interesting."

"I would like that, Sheriff," Paterson said, "...but first I would like to talk to John alone, for a moment." They all stood there looking at one another, then Cooley said, "Alright, there's my office, Kyle and I can wait here till you're done."

Paterson looked over at J. B. who was anxious to hear what Paterson had to say in private, that he couldn't say in the company of his brother, and Sheriff Cooley. So he stepped to the door and walked inside. Paterson followed, closing the door behind him.

When it opened again, Paterson looked a lot more comfortable with the idea of sharing what information he had on Bo Meadows. He invited Sheriff Cooley and Kyle into the office and began to introduce himself all over again.

Looking from Kyle to the Sheriff, Paterson brought out what was left of his cigar and struck a match. Pausing to consider where to start the conversation, he took a drag from the cigar attempting to gather his thoughts, then he began.

"About three weeks ago I received a telegram from Mr. William Pinkerton, of the Pinkerton Detective Agency. This telegram informed me that another agent would soon be arriving in Olympia, to assist in an on-going investigation of an outlaw named Bo Meadows.

Mr. Pinkerton's telegram went on to tell me that I was to share whatever information I had with this agent once I confirmed his identity. The last part of his telegram said more information would follow once this new agent was informed of his assignment."

Paterson stopped to knock some ashes from his cigar into the spittoon sitting on the floor. "The first telegram failed to give me a name or a description of the new agent, except to say this information would be forthcoming."

Sheriff Cooley walked over to stoke up the wood stove and put on a pot of coffee, as Paterson continued.

"Yesterday, when I saw the two of you standing on the street talking to the Sheriff, I recognized you both as being new in town, but I was expecting only one man. Not two of you."

Paterson looked at John Barnabus, and then he glanced over at Kyle. "So not knowing any more than I did, I followed you until I found out where you were staying, then I went to the telegraph office and sent another telegram to Mr. Pinkerton asking for more details regarding the new agent I was expecting to meet."

"Wait a minute." Kyle began, "What about this, Luke Miles?"

"I'll get to that in a moment Kyle."

"This morning Mr. Wimberly, the town's telegrapher came to my room with a telegram. It seems that Mr. Pinkerton sent a second telegram, and not knowing that it did not reach me, he did not send a third, until he got my request for more information."

Sheriff Cooley checked the water on the stove and tossed in some coffee grounds as Paterson paused once again, to tap his cigar over the spittoon.

"The telegram I received this morning, gave me a name, and a description of John Barnabus. Thinking that I had missed you leaving the hotel, I went looking for you both, and that's when I saw the crowd forming outside the saloon, and heard the loud voices. I walked through the people who were standing around, and I saw Kyle engaged in a conversation with a large man who obviously had way too much to drink. Believing Kyle had control of the situation I waited and watched with everyone else.

That is until that tangle-footed cowboy brought out a large knife. When I saw that Kyle was not packing a side arm, Well, no matter how drunk that man was, it's not likely he would have missed from that distance." Paterson turned and looked at Cooley.

"Sheriff, I didn't see much of a choice, not at that point, not if Kyle was going to continue living."

The sheriff nodded his head in agreement, then he said, "That pretty much fills in the gaps, everything else falls into place with what I've been told so far."

"Mister, when I saw that knife," Kyle said, "I knew I couldn't charge that man quick enough, or dodge the thrown blade fast enough."

Kyle took a step closer, "If it weren't for you, I'd surely be shaking hands with ole St. Peter right now." He extended his hand, "Thank you Mr. Paterson, or Miles, or whatever your real name happens to be."

Paterson shook Kyle's hand and smiled. "Oh yeh, that!"

"...When I first began my investigation into Bo Meadows, it was farther south, along the Colombia River. I was working with a partner at that time. He got in with some of the men working for Meadows. That is, after he and I staged a situation where I began harassing one of Meadows men in a bar.

My partner came to his rescue, and I backed down, and walked away. The gang member appreciated my partners interference and began buying him drinks. Next thing you know, he was in with Bo Meadows gang. After that, he began to forward me whatever information he could, about their activity."

Sheriff Cooley walked across the room and set down three cups, filling them with coffee. Paterson dropped what was left of his cigar into the spittoon and took the cup of coffee when it was offered. After wetting his throat he continued.

"I was using the name Luke Emerson Miles at that time. Then about, two weeks ago I stopped receiving information from my partner, and word got back to me that Meadows had discovered someone named Miles was asking questions about him, and the men he was riding with.

Shortly after that, Meadows took his gang and they began moving farther up the Columbia River. That's when I stopped using my alias of Luke Miles, and started using my real name, Joseph Zachariah Paterson."

Taking a drink of his coffee, Paterson looked around the room. "I've never taken to the name, Joseph, and I rather liked the name, Luke Miles." He took a sip of his coffee, " It's a shame I had to give that up."

"...Anyway." Paterson stated.

" One of the last bits of information I received from my partner, was that Meadows had taken in some new kid whose family has a ranch in the area with several out buildings on the property. Word is, they are using one of those out-buildings as a hide-out.

Just before they began moving up the Columbia River, Meadows told my partner, someone would be joining their gang real soon."

Paterson paused, to reflect, then he said, "That's the last I heard from him. I've been trying to get close enough to observe the gangs hide-out. To see if I can spot my partner."

He looked at John Barnabus. "John, I don't know if he is still alive or if they have killed him. I recently discovered the kids name, but I still don't know the location of this farm. I believe I'm getting closer. I know the kid is in this area."

"What's his name?" Sheriff Cooley asked.

"A few days ago, I saw one of Meadows men riding with a new kid I'd never seen before. I began asking around, offering a description of this kid, and sending a description to the Pinkerton Office. I believe the kids name is, Samuel Blackburn."

There was a long moment of silence in the office as Paterson tried to interpret the look on Sheriff Cooley's face.

"John, show him the poster." Kyle said as he glanced over at Sheriff Cooley. John took the wanted poster from his pocket. "It looks like your inquiry sparked a background check on this Samuel Blackburn."

Paterson unfolded the paper and began to read. As he did, Kyle said, "It seems, this Samuel Blackburn has attempted to rob trains before, and he has killed men in the process. It's little wonder he's hooked up with the Meadows gang."

"What do you know about the family? Sheriff." Paterson asked.

"Well, I know where the Blackburn Ranch is, but it's on a piece of isolated property not much around it but Blackburn land. The nearest neighbor is maybe three or so miles in any direction." Cooley paused for a moment, "I've already told John and Kyle about the ranch, soon after the wanted poster showed up."

"Kyle and I were going to ride out there today." John said, "We were hoping to find the kid. From there we were going to follow him for a while, see who he rides with. But now, with the information you've given us, we know he's part of the Meadows gang."

"But we don't have any idea what they're up to." Kyle said.

"If you're going to stake out the Blackburn Ranch, Would you mind if I rode along?" Paterson asked. "Three of us would be able to cover more territory."

"That's true." Kyle said, looking at John. "And besides, we have never seen Bo Meadows, except for an old picture provided by the Seatco Prison where he did time."

"He won't be hard to spot." Paterson said, "He carries an ugly scar on the left side of this jaw. Runs from his ear to about mid-way down his jawline."

"How'd that happen?" J. B. asked.

"From what I hear, that scar took off most of his earlobe too." Paterson reflected.

"I've heard several stories telling of how that scar come to be. One being that he got it while doing time in prison. Another is that he got that scar during a fight with some Indian, years ago. Another story tells of him getting that scar fighting over some woman. No one knows for sure which story is true, if any of them."

Kyle looked over at John Barnabus, "I think he should come along with us, J. B."

"I got no objections Kyle." John said.

"Why don't we meet back here in about an hour. That should give us time to put some grub together." Turning, John looked at Cooley, "Sheriff do you think you could sketch out some kind of map regarding the Blackburn property?"

"I've only been in the area a few times, but my deputy has been through there many times. As a young man he knew the Blackburn daughter for a while, until she moved back east. I'll get with him and we will see what we can come up with."

"Thanks Sheriff."




This book has been professionally edited. Writing chapters on FanStory allowed me to get valuable feedback in order to work out the details. So what is read here may not be exactly the same as what ended up in the book. This book was published on Oct. 4th, 2020.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.