Romance Poetry posted February 19, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
V-J Day in Times Square, August 1945

5-7-5 iconic sailor kiss - see notes

by Mark D. R.

V-J Day, New York
two strangers meet in the square -
kiss shown 'round the world



Recognized


A notable photographer snapped a series of pictures on August 14, 1945 in New York City's Times Square. The sailor, George Mendonsa, depicted in this picture died on February 17, 2019 at age 95. The media stories about his death and the moment that the world heard about the end of World War 2 disclosed that the sailor was on leave and in town with his girlfriend. Thousands of people danced on the streets in celebration of this victory. The white dressed woman was actually a dental assistant, but George in that moment was kissing a 'nurse' as a 'thank you' for her service and care to his fellow soldiers.

From a CBS report:

The nurse, in her white uniform, was dental assistant Greta Friedman on a break. "I did not see him approaching, and before I know it, I was in this vice grip!" Friedman said.

As the perfect strangers embraced in a moment of spontaneous euphoria, photographers snapped pictures. Life magazine's Alfred Eisenstaedt would see his photo became one of the most famous of the 20th century.

It wasn't a long kiss, and the two soon parted ways. But when Friedman saw the photo in Life magazine, she recognized herself. "You don't forget this guy grabbing you!" she remarked. Mendonsa, on the other hand, said he didn't see the photo until many years later, and didn't see Friedman again until the pair was reunited in 1980.

Other couples claimed to be the kissers. A 2012 book, "The Kissing Sailor: The Mystery Behind the Photo That Ended World War II," said evidence ruled out everyone but Friedman and Mendonsa, whose date that day, Rita Petrie, was present behind him in one picture, grinning ear to ear. Petrie didn't seem to have minded him kissing another woman the first week they were dating; she married Mendonsa, and the couple were together for more than 70 years.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mark D. R. All rights reserved.
Mark D. R. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.