Romance Flash Fiction posted February 17, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Do you recall a magical night?

Black Cadillac

by RodG


Meg and I were celebrating our 40th anniversary at our favorite restaurant in Oakdale.  It was early evening and we had window seating.

Between bites of my perfectly-cooked rib-eye, I cast appreciative glances at the 1956 black Cadillac Eldorado convertible parked outside.

Meg tapped my foot with hers.  “Hey, Handsome, you’re ignoring me.”

“Not really, Honey.  Just wishing we could take a spin in that beauty tonight.  Know where I’d take you?”

She laughed.  “Hideaway Woods, our old necking spot.”

I nodded.  “Old is right.  Haven’t been there since—“

“That magical night before our wedding day.”

“Magical, yes!”  Then I laughed.  “Hey, you blushing?”

I reached across the table and took her hand, the one with the dull gold wedding band.  I caressed her fingers.  Still soft.  

“Forty years you’ve been mine, Meg.  Any regrets?  Tell me true.”

Her hazel eyes misted.  “Only that I—I could not give you more children.”

Now I had tears about to spill.  “God’s plan, not ours.  And He gave us Steph who gave us Billy.  We’re blessed.”

She smiled and squeezed my fingers.  “Our car’s not that Cadillac, but are you game to—?”

“Another magical night in Hideaway Woods?  Most definitely!”




Pick a title from the list provided writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Choose one of the following titles.

Asking For It
Cut the Cord
State of My Head
Outcast
How Did You Love
It All Adds Up
Oblivion
Dangerous
Thick as Thieves
Black Cadillac
Misfits

Where does the title take you?

Get writing: poem, fiction, essay, whatever you like!
200 words maximum word count.

The title of your work MUST be the title you chose from the list. (There shouldn't be any confusion in the booth for duplicate entries of title, as your name will be displayed alongside your entry.)

Artwork and author notes welcome.


Artwork is courtesy of Google images.

WORD COUNT: 200 Apple Pages
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.