Romance Fiction posted February 17, 2019 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan comes to MacKenzie's aid.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 1 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anybody wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.
Ending of Previous Post:

Outside Logan found a shade tree to stand under while he called for a taxi. There's no way that petite female's going to get enough evidence on Whitney to prove he murdered my sister. I'm going to have to do it myself. He grinned. She was a looker though. Maybe we can work together.

About forty-five minutes later, the taxi parked and waited for Logan to enter, he stood with one foot in the car and the other remained on the curb. He watched McKenzie open the door, chase the little dog around the yard, before putting it back inside and locking the townhouse door. I wonder where she's going. He sat and said, "Follow that purple Dodge coupe."

"You sure, sir?" asked the taxi driver.

"I'm positive."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 1 PART 2

Logan watched McKenzie parallel park. Not bad for a female. I wonder where she got that classic muscle car. It's too much for her to handle. Total waste of machinery.

He stared as she went inside an Irish Pub. So she has a date or maybe she's a drinker. Logan paid the taxi driver, stood across the street, and watched. Now what? "DUH". I wait. He scanned the area. There's a food joint with outside tables. I'll grab something to eat. Maybe they'll have toasted ravioli.

Leisurely eating, Logan didn't move his stare from the pub's door. I wonder what she's doing in there. After paying the waiter, he walked back to his original spot and waited.

He glanced at his watch. She's been in there a couple of hours. Nope, exactly two hours and seventeen minutes. He ran his hand through his brown, military cut hair and muttered, "Why's my gut telling me she's gotten herself in trouble?" He released a deep breath. "I've only known this female P.I. maybe ten minutes. So I don't really know her, but she's affecting my gut. How can that be? Oh, all right. Damn, women anyway." He crossed the red brick street.

Inside the pub, Logan paused a few moments and allowed his green eyes to adjust to the dark, smoke-filled room. He scanned it for McKenzie. When he found her, her head was lying on the bar and two men were lifting her limp body from the bar stool. So she can't hold her liquor. I'd better rescue her before she gets herself in trouble. I'm sure those two are up to no good.

He walked up to them. "Excuse me. That's my date. What are you doing?"

The taller of the two faced Logan. "She's here by herself. She didn't say anything about waiting for anybody."

"I got hung up at work. She's probably pissed." Logan glanced down at her. "She never could hold her liquor. I'll take her home." His eyes met the taller one's eyes. "You can leave now."

Whispering to each other, they walked away.

When the bartender came over, Logan asked, "How much do I owe you and what's she drinking?" He put his arm under McKenzie's arm pits and tried to help her to her feet.

"Nothing, and water with lemon. I'm glad you got here. I think those two were up to no good. I don't think she knew them."

"Is she a regular?"

"Nope, I never saw her before."

Giving up on helping her stand, Logan reached inside her jean's pocket, retrieved the car keys, and picked her up. "It'll be easier this way." He glanced at the bartender. "Thanks for the information."

I'm glad I saw where you parked and in which pocket you put your keys. If I would've had to search for them, he wouldn't have believed I was helping. Logan unlocked the passenger door and helped McKenzie inside the car. "I'll take you home." After he sat behind the wheel, he said, "If I wouldn't have come along, how would you have gotten yourself out of this mess?"

At McKenzie's townhouse, Logan parked. "I'll unlock the door and come back for you." He shook his head. "Why am I talking to her? She's passed out." He hesitated on the first step. "I can already hear that yapper. Good thing he's not big enough to cause any trouble."

As Logan unlocked the door, he jumped back. "Whoa!" He shook his head and re-locked it. "I know that yapper didn't grow. How'd I miss him this afternoon?" He walked back to the car and crawled in. "I'm taking you to my hotel. There's no way I'm going inside your house."

In the hotel room, Logan laid McKenzie on one of the queen size beds, removed her shoes, and put a blanket over her. "I'm glad this room comes with two beds." He watched her lifeless body. "Can't wait to hear your story."





Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered



Recognized

#100
2019


Thank you google images of a 1970 plum crazy Dodge Coronet Super Bee 2. I struggled deciding on dividing this next part. I went ahead and did it. So you get about 650 words instead of about 1350 words. Please let me know if you want the longer posts. I am also still working on the book summary. I don't have it the way I want it yet. Thank you for the encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.