General Fiction posted February 14, 2019 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jen's grave situation takes a turn for the worse.

A chapter in the book Eyes on You

From Bad to Worse

by Mistydawn


Finding out his pregnant wife Jen needs a costly operation, Tommy turns to a life of crime. They're in the middle of one of their jobs when the owners come home. Tommy is taken to the station for questioning then released. He's trying to rob a house on his own when a dog attacks him. He escapes from that but ends up facing down Hernandez's goons. He ends up working or Henandez and his gang

That was too close, Tommy thinks as he anxiously pulls away from the police station. He's been questioned numerous times throughout his life, but he's never been accused of murder.

The totality of his situation hits him, his hands begin to shake, his stomach churns with fury. Beads of sweat pop out across his forehead. I could've been thrown in jail for a murder I didn't commit. He imagines himself behind bars. What'll happen to Jen and the boys if I'm thrown in jail? Maybe this is a warning, a glimpse of my future if I continue my life of crime. I can't quit now, I just can't, not until I come up with enough money for Jen's operation. The last robbery didn't bring in as much as he'd hoped. I know, I'll steal just enough to pay for her surgery. If my suspension isn't lifted by then I'll find work somewhere else. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

He notices his friend Jimmy hobbling across his yard as he drives up to his house. I should probably check to see how he's holding out. He hasn't been able to work since he fell off a ladder a few weeks back.

Jimmy walks over to greet him when he pulls into his drive. "Long time no see."

"I've been meaning to stop by, honest, I have, but with Jen being in the hospital I haven't had the time."

"Jen is in the hospital?"

"Yeah, It seems her heart has gotten so bad that she needs an operation."

"They're going to do the surgery on her soon, right?"

"I have to come up with the money for her aftercare before they'll even consider it."

"You know I'd help out if I could but my workman's comp claim hasn't kicked in yet."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I'll be on the streets if it doesn't start soon."

"You can always stay with Jen and me."

"I appreciate the offer, but it sounds like you have enough on your plate as it is."

"I hope to have the money soon, now I'm back with Hernandez."

"You did make a lot of money working for him."

"I was making bank. Hey, I think I've found a solution to your problems. Let me talk to someone, see what I can do." He grabs his cell from his dash and quickly makes a call.

Jimmy is trying to picture what it'd be like to work for Hernandez when Tommy walks up beside him. "I just talked to the boss and he's agreed to hire you."

"What am I going to do exactly?"

"Everything I tell you from here on out has to be kept on the down low, alright?"

"I knew it, you are a gangster."

Tommy anxiously glances around. Discovering neighbors nearby, he pulls him to the porch. "No, no, it's not like that."

"What is it then?"

"I've been setting up cameras in homes I install satellites in."

"So you're a spy," he excitedly replies.

"Just listen, would you?" Jimmy plops down on the swing. Tommy sits down beside him.

"Once we know the homeowner's habits we pick a day and time to go in and take their stuff. The boss sells the merchandise then gives us a split of the profit."

"I don't know man. I mean I need the money and all, but stealing people's stuff isn't right."

"Their insurance company reimburses them for their loss."

"It's still theft, Tommy."

"You're stealing from the insurance company, not them and you know they can afford to pay."

"True, OK, I'm in."

"Now that's settled, I have a big favor to ask."

"What is it?"

"Can I borrow your car, mine overheated on the way over?"

"Use it as long as you like." Jimmy tosses him the keys.

"I sure appreciate this, man."

"You can keep your car in the barn until the fuzz is off your tail."

Seeing Tommy's expression he says: "I know how you gangsters work."

***

Rachel walks in to find James Cornell fidgeting around in the chair. She first notices sweat dripping off his forehead. She then discovers wet patches under his arms and around his collar. It's not that warm. He's coming off of drugs. "Would you like something to drink?"

"No."

"It'll make you feel better."

"I said I don't want anything."

"Suit yourself. So how long have you been using?"

"I don't use drugs," he replies, as he squirms around in his seat.

She grabs his arm and flips it over. "Why are there track marks in the crook of your arm?"

"I use to use, but I don't anymore."

"They look pretty fresh to me." She slams his arm on the table.

"What are we going to find at your apartment?"

"Nothing, I swear." The worry on his face tells a different story.

"Where were you between four and seven this morning?"

"I was at home asleep."

"Can anyone verify that?"

"No."

"Not even your neighbors?"

"They might, I don't know." He scratches his arms and then his legs.

You're going to wish you had something sweet real soon. "You better find someone to verify your whereabouts, otherwise, I'm going to charge you with murder."

"Murder, no I didn't kill anyone, I swear I didn't."

"Just like you swear you don't use drugs?" She slams her hands down on the table. Staring him square in the eye, she says: "Stop lying to me. I know you use and I know you killed the Harris's this morning."

"I didn't, I swear!" He tries to look away; Rachel turns his face around.

"Murder is an automatic death sentence, but if you confess we might take the death penalty off the table."
"I didn't do it."

"Sergeant." She turns towards the door. "You'll never believe what we found in his apartment." Kirk steps into the room.

"I love to play show and tell, don't you, James?"

"We found four baggies of meth and a large assortment of paraphernalia."

"So we can add drug possession with intent to sell on top of the murder rap."

"I didn't kill anyone."

"We'll just see about that," she says, storming out of the room.

"What do you think, captain?"

"Check with the neighbors and the security cams see if anyone can verify his whereabouts."

Hearing someone coming towards them, they turn around. "Captain, sergeant, the fingerprints on the pop can match the one found on the window." Jeff hands them the report.

"Pick Mr. Campbell back up."

***

Tommy decides to visit Jen before the big heist. He doesn't like going behind her back, lying to her the way he is, but he figures, one little lie is worth saving her life.

Jen is overjoyed when Tommy tells her the news. "Is this for real?" she gasps, grabbing Tommy's phone, she looks at it again. The go fund me account showed over eight thousand dollars. Hernandez suggested this type of account to make the money seem legit.

"It's for real baby, and it's all for you."

"I...I can't believe it, I'm going to live, I'm going to live. This is a dream come true, Tommy, a dream come true."

"I told you I'd get the money."

"Oh Tommy, you're the greatest." She wraps her arms around him and gives him a big hug. Her embrace is so warm, so comforting. Tommy knows he has to continue despite the pain, the anguish his excursion might cause. The precious moment in time made their love, their bond grow stronger. It was like they were falling in love all over again. The two talked for hours about their hopes and dreams for their bright future ahead.

They're laughing over silly stunts the boys have pulled when Jen's doctor steps into the room, a grim expression on his face.

"Jen, Tommy, we just got the latest test results back." He glances down at his paper.

Realizing Jen is shaking beside him, Tommy cups her hand in his.

"What is it doc?"

"I don't know any other way to put it so I'll just come right out with it. Your condition is declining. We need to do the surgery within the next few days, otherwise, you may be too weak to undergo the procedure."

"No!" Jen yells. Collapsing against Tommy, she begins to sob.

Tommy wraps his arms around her and pulls her in tight. "It'll be alright, baby."

"How, Tommy, how will it ever be alright again? Damn my stinking heart, damn it all to hell," she cries.

"I'll see what I can do about getting you higher on the list."

"We appreciate it doc, we really do." Tommy mewls, tears streaming down his face.

"I'll do what I can, but there are a lot of people on the list."

"We've gotten this far, we'll make it through the rest," Tommy states, trying to be positive.

"I hope so, son, I really do." Lowering his head, the doctor turns and leaves.

"Oh, Tommy, what are we going to do, what are we going to do?"

"It'll be alright, baby, I promise," Tommy snivels.

"I don't want to lose you and the boys. I don't, I don't," Jen sobs, falling deeper into his arms. I don't want to lose you either, he thinks, holding her as tight as he can.
 

Characters
Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife

Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.

Berryville PD

Kirk- detective.
Rachel sergeant
Joe captain
Jerry detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.