General Flash Fiction posted February 14, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A LOST contest entry

Finding Our Way

by RodG


Grayson's Grocery has been an Oakdale landmark since WWII. It has everything I crave, and the lay-out of items in aisles hasn't changed in decades.

It was late Saturday afternoon, and my daughter and I were doing some last-minute shopping. I'd sent her for fresh vegetables and canned goods while I went to the Deli counter for potato salad and my favorite cheeses. We'd just reunited in Aisle 2 by the breads when he burst upon us.

"Stephanie Berke? That's you, isn't it?" shouted a man about her age, thirty-five. I recognized him, but she just gawked.

For a moment he looked abashed until I said, "Tim Rutherford, hello."

When he noticed me for the first time, his face flushed. "Mr. Berke, I--I didn't see you."

"I know. She's prettier."

I've always enjoyed embarrassing old students, especially ones like Tim who had behaved inappropriately in class.

I turned slightly so I could see both their expressions. Steph has her mother's best features, especially the eyes, and they were gleaming. Tim, a trim six-footer, was smiling.

"You still teaching, Mr. Berke?" he asked.

"Nope. Retired a decade ago. You done anything worthy since I saw you last?"

His eyes dropped, but only momentarily. "Knew you didn't like me much, but the only 'A' I ever got in English was that last paper I did for you. Spent hours writing it. Wanted to show you I did have a brain. Your remarks on it made my year. Remember what they were?"

I grinned. "Yep. I said. 'While goofing off in here, you got lost,Tim, but now you've found your way."

Stephanie's grin matched mine. "Now I remember you. Timmy Rutherford, the little snot who chased me all around Locust School in fourth grade."

"Guilty! But my family moved to the east side of town and I didn't see you again till high school. Knowing you were his daughter, I kept my distance."

"Until now," I said. "Done anything these past . . . uh . . . eighteen years to brag about?"

He gave me a sheepish look. "I managed to get lost again in college. But I found my way again by senior year. Graduated and went to law school. I'm now a judge in Indiana. Came home for Mom's birthday this weekend."

I reached out and shook his hand. "Terrific, Tim. I'm proud of you."

I also observed Steph peering at his other hand. No ring. Then I noticed her special signal to leave her (them) alone--raising her left eyebrow. She hadn't used it once in the year since her divorce.

Smiling, I said, "I think my daughter would like me to get lost,Tim. Great seeing you."

I grabbed the grocery cart from her. "See you at home, Steph."

She smirked, then grabbed his arm. "You have time for coffee, Tim? A new restaurant opened two doors down."

"Absolutely!" Tim winked at me. "We'll find our way."



Lost - Flash Fiction writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story under 500 words about being lost


Artwork is courtesy of Google images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.