General Fiction posted February 14, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Making the days count.

Heather

by Heather Knight


When Heather Hedgehog was born, her mother thought she was perfect. Her quills were soft, her eyes honey-coloured and her cheeks pink as a rose.

Unfortunately, the doctor didn't agree.

'There's something seriously wrong with her heart,' he said.

Heather's parents held hands and cried in shock. The doctor, who was compassionate and empathetic, left the room thinking of a possible solution.

That night, he went to the lake near the hospital and told Freddie the Frog about Heather.
Freddie said he had an idea.

'Maybe you could use the pink diamond at the bottom of the pond as a replacement heart. It's said to have magic powers.'

'But I cannot reach,' the doctor said sadly.

'Don't worry, I'll tell Grace Goldfish to get it for you.'

Grace spent almost an hour trying to get the diamond. It was too big and heavy for her. Luckily, in the end, she succeeded.

The doctor thanked Freddie and Grace and went back to the hospital. He went directly to Heather's room and told her parents the good news.

The operation was scheduled for the next day and it was a complete success.

'This is a first,' the surgeon told the worried parents. 'But the diamond should buy us a few years.'

Time passed and Heather grew into a beautiful young 'lady'. Her quills got harder, but her heart remained soft and loving. She was famous everywhere because of the pink light that shone through her chest.

A few days before her fifteenth birthday, however, the pink light started fading.

Heather's parents tried to hide their panic and took her to the hospital in the forest.

'It's time to say goodbye,' the doctor said.

Heather was lying down on her bed and told her parents not to cry.

'I've had a wonderful life. Try to remember that. And please, do think of me whenever you see something pink.'

Then she closed her eyes and was gone. With a smile.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.