Romance Fiction posted February 10, 2019 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan's first impression of McKenzie

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 1 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
QUESTIONS
1) Can McKenzie solve Megan Nelson's murder?
2) Can Logan protect McKenzie from the person/people threatening her life and discover who and why?
3) Will McKenzie learn to trust?
CHAPTER 1 PART

Logan Nelson rang the doorbell of Morgan's P.I. office. Whoever heard of a P.I. working from home? Why doesn't he have a real office? Why'd Dad hire this guy? Between him and the police we'll never prove Whitney murdered Megan. Hurry up! I don't have all day! I need to get this guy in jail before he murders somebody else's baby sister. He paused and listened to a dog barking. Figures there's a yapping dog. Why do people have yapping dogs? They're a nuisance. He rang the doorbell, again.

Next, he heard a female voice yell, "Arlo, be quiet. It's all right."

Great, a little old lady receptionist. Just what I need. This isn't going very well. I'm too busy for this.

McKenzie Morgan answered the door, holding a miniature black and tan dachshund. "Hello, how can I help you?" She put her hand over the dog's muzzle. "Shhh. It's all right."

"I want to speak to Mack Morgan about a case he's working on."

"Come in. Sorry it took so long. I was in the back yard." McKenzie pointed to a traditional black office chair. "Please, have a seat." She walked around the small wooden desk and sat, holding the dog. "Exactly what case would you like to discuss?"

Logan scanned the tiny office area. "If Mack Morgan's here, I'll wait for him. There's no sense repeating myself."

"I'm Mac Morgan. How can I help you?"

With eyebrows raised, Logan said, "My dad said he hired an old friend's firm to bring my sister's murderer to justice. I'm pretty sure you're not Dad's old high school buddy."

McKenzie brushed a brown strand of hair from her cheek. "You're correct. I'm his daughter. Let's start with what's your name?"

"No disrespect, I understand having your daughter as a receptionist, but I really need to speak with your dad."

"That's impossible, he's--"

"When will he return?" interrupted Logan as he stood. "I'll come back later."

"You're welcome to come back later, but it'll still be impossible to speak with Dad. He died a year ago."

Logan sat. "What? I don't understand."

"Let's start over and maybe I can help you understand. I'm guessing you must be Megan Nelson's brother. Your parents mentioned you might be coming by. Could I please have your name?"

"Yeah, Logan Nelson. You're?"

"McKenzie Morgan. People usually call me Mac. I was named after my dad. Dad trained me, we worked together, and I'm more than capable of doing the job. Your parents hired me yesterday."

"You're a P.I.?"

"I am. I'm licensed and everything." McKenzie pointed to the framed license hanging on the wall behind her.

"But how? Why? I wasn't expecting..."

"A female?"

"You could say that." The tips of Logan's ears tinged pink. "I've really made an ass of myself, haven't I?"

"I'm used to it." She grabbed a pencil. "What can I do for you?"

"I'm wondering if you've made any progress finding my sister's murderer."

"Since I was hired yesterday afternoon about four o'clock, I've barely had time to get a good start. This morning, I did meet with the police department and got what information I could. But to be honest, right now I have nothing new to report. Do you have any information you'd like to share?"

"I believe her on-again-off-again boyfriend, George Whitney, murdered her."

"Why do you think that?"

"He used to knock her around. It's a small step from assault to murder. I believe the stats show a lot of abused women end up getting killed by their abusers."

"Did you ever see him hit her?"

Logan frowned. "Do you think he's dumb enough to beat up my sister in front of me? Hell no! There's no way that loser would live to tell about it."

McKenzie tapped her pencil. "Then why do you think he abused your sister?"

"Because when I'd come home for holidays I'd see healing bruises and black eyes. When I'd ask what happened, she'd make up some excuse about falling or bumping into something. Nobody's that clumsy. Some bruises looked like hand imprints, but she'd never admit to it."

"So you don't live around here?"

"No. I'm in the Army. I'm stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. I've taken thirty days leave to help solve Megan's murder. I'm not going back until there's justice for my baby sister." A small amount of moisture welled in Logan's eyes.

Glancing at her watch, McKenzie set the pencil by the pad of paper. "I have somewhere I need to be. When I have information, I'll call your dad." She stood.

"How about if I come by tomorrow after lunch, then you can fill me in on the new information you have?" Logan turned toward the door.

*****
Outside Logan found a shade tree to stand under while he called for a taxi. There's no way that petite female's going to get enough evidence on Whitney to prove he murdered my sister. I'm going to have to do it myself. He grinned. She was a looker though. Maybe we can work together.


About forty-five minutes later, the taxi parked and waited for Logan to enter, he stood with one foot in the car and the other remained on the curb. He watched McKenzie open the door, chase the little dog around the yard, before putting it back inside and locking the townhouse door. I wonder where she's going. He sat and said, "Follow that purple Dodge coupe."

"You sure, sir?" asked the taxi driver.

"I'm positive."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered











Recognized

#147
2019


Thank you google images of a black and tan Dachshund, mine is red. I am so happy about the reviews I received on the prologue. Many of you can't wait to see what part the dogs play in this. They often take over the scene. Thank you for the encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.