General Fiction posted February 9, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Different is good.

Oscar & Olivia

by Heather Knight


Oscar Octopus was born different.

His parents and his sisters were grey and slippery.

He was pink, covered in polka dots, had huge eyes and a velvety body.

Some of the folk in their part of the world thought he was cute, others said he looked weird.

Oscar, however, didn't mind.

He had more important things to think of. He spent his days writing poems and drawing pictures. He wanted to be a famous author when he grew up.

Wanda Whale said he was crazy.

'A writer? What kind of job is that?'

Sam Swordfish agreed with her.

'My children are much more intelligent and practical. They want to be coral engineers.'

Oscar heard them talk, but didn't pay any attention to what they were saying.

The years passed under the sea. The ocean kept on being wet and greenish. And Oscar grew...

When he was eighteen, he published a book for children called The Spotted Octopus. It became an instant hit.

Journalists came from the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and even the Dead Sea to ask him questions about his story.

Oscar answered them all, enjoyed the interviews and then went back to writing.

When he was twenty-five, he met Olivia. Olivia was a shiny shade of blue and liked painting pictures of jellyfish.

They both loved talking about their artistic pursuits.

One summer day, Oscar proposed and Olivia said yes. They got married five months later.

Time passed and Olivia gave birth to beautiful twins. They were both mauve, but that didn't stop their parents from calling them Onyx and Orange.

Onyx and Orange were considered the weirdest babies in that part of the ocean, but as their parents had taught them not to listen to mean people's comments, they lived their lives happily. They were creative and clever. And one day, when they grew up, they became King and Queen of their kingdom under the water.

And if you are wondering what the moral of this story is, I'll tell you: being different is not a curse if you know how to play your cards close to your chest.



Recognized


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.