Mystery and Crime Fiction posted February 5, 2019 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Tommy begs for his life.

A chapter in the book Eyes on You

Final Plea

by Mistydawn


Summary
Finding out his pregnant wife Jen needs a costly operation, Tommy turns to a life of crime
. They're in the middle of one of their jobs when the owners come home. Tommy is taken to the station for questioning then released. He's trying to rob a house on his own when a dog attacks him. He escapes from that but ends up facing down Hernandez's goons.

Seeing everyone is busy at their desk, the sergeant walks towards them. She's been wanting to get everyone together to compare notes, find a lead, something that'll connect the victims. So far, the detectives have learned that all the victims have volunteered at the local shelters, they're from old money, and they live in Victorian style homes in an older, established neighborhood.

Kirk hangs up his phone as Rachel steps in front of his desk. "Sergeant, I just heard from forensics. The bullets Sharon removed from the victims match the gun found at our crime scene. It's registered to John Harris and the only set of prints found on the weapon belongs to him."

"Maybe our robber wore gloves."

"He didn't have any on when we found him, and forensics didn't find any on his person or at our crime scene."

Rachel glances towards him, a perplexed look on his face. "So, you think John killed his grandparents and the perp?"

"It seems that way, Sergeant."

"What did you find out about Mr. and Mrs. Harris, Jerry?"

"They're retired school teachers, living on a small pension. They've been married for over sixty years and have one child. He and his wife died ten years ago in an automobile accident leaving them to care for John."

"What about their finances?"

"Their bank account is overdrawn, and their house is in forfeiture for back taxes."

"Do they have a life insurance policy?"

"No, and they don't have a will."

"So, money isn't the reason for their death. What about phone records?"

"It was disconnected months ago for nonpayment. Everyone I've talked to say the Harris's are very sweet people. They used to help in the community until they both became ill. They still go to church every week and attend some of the functions."

"Wait, you said they use to help the community, Jerry?" The sergeant questions.

"They helped with the food pantry and the soup kitchen years ago."

"Just like our other victims."

"Yeah, but their charity stopped 10 years ago when Mr. Harris had a stroke."

"It's still a connection. Did this Charles guy work for any of the shelters?"

"No, besides, this robbery isn't like the others, sergeant. Other than the type of house," Jerry argues.

"True, maybe this was an opportunistic burglary. The robber saw the house, thought it was abandoned and broke in." 

"He was searching upstairs when he discovers the Harris' in their bed. He panics and tries to run. John shoots him too," Kirk concludes.

"That's plausible, I suppose."

"Not according to their neighbors. They said the Harris' grandson left late last night and hasn't returned. John told them he was headed back to school earlier in the day. So, either Sharon has the time of death wrong or John didn't shoot them." Jerry reaches for his ringing phone.

The neighbors I talked to claim there was a Honda parked at their house early this morning. Said he was there for about an hour, left when the sirens began." 

"Could they describe him or the car, Kirk?"

"They didn't get a real good look, but they believe he's in his early thirties, he has a tan face and sandy blond hair. The car is a black Honda Accord, they think it's a late nineties model. I ran it through the system, but haven't come up with anything so far."

"I just finished talking to one of the managers at the local shelter. He said they have several male volunteers in their thirties. I asked if any of them worked alongside the other victims and he said it's very possible, but they don't keep a record of who works when since it's all volunteer. I asked if any of the male workers seem in desperate need of money. He said he can't think of anyone off the top of his head but says he'll give us a list of volunteers."

"Stay on top of it, Jerry."

"I will, Sergeant and I'll ask if any of the volunteers on the list worked when the Harris's did when I talk to him again. Oh, and the fingerprints they found on the window doesn't match Charles or anyone in the system."

"That figures. What did you find out about the material?"

"I took a sample to the uniform shop in Harrison. They said they'll look into it."

"Hopefully, they can tell us something."

***

The goon grabs Tommy's throat tighter as he pushes the gun into the side of his head.
"I have orders to kill you," he says.

"Why... Why does Hernandez want to kill... Kill me?" Tommy anxiously questions.

"He said you turned state's evidence against him and the crew to save your own cowardly ass."

"I... I'd never do that to him."

"The boss believes you did. He says you got jammed up unloading hot merchandise to an undercover."

"That was the crew, not me. They're the ones who got caught up in the mess. I told the cops everything I knew about Lopez to save their asses, Hernandez's too. I even agreed to wear a wire."

Hernandez thinks the crew gave the pigs Lopez and you gave them him."

Tommy is nervously glancing back and forth between his attackers when he notices a security camera mounted on the corner of the building. I bet Hernandez is watching this all play out. Well, I'm going to give him one hell of a show. Make him think twice about offing me. "He should know I wouldn't do that. Not after everything he's done for me. Rescuing me from an abusive home, giving me a better life, showing me the ropes. I hope that I'm as great as a father to my boys as he was to me."

"How sweet, but your heartfelt sentiment doesn't change the fact that he wants you dead."

"I guess Hernandez has forgotten about the little stint I did for him. How I took the heat to cover his ass."

"He hasn't forgotten, but he does find it a bit odd that you happened to stop working for him after that, right before he was taken in."

"I didn't want to quit, I really didn't, but Jen said she wouldn't marry me as long as I work for him. I told Hernandez that, even invited him to the wedding. He wished me well and said I'll always have a job as long as he's in business. That's why I thought of him when I stumbled across the two bricks of blow."

"I'm sure he'll appreciate your generous gift." The thug cocks his gun.

The door flies open, a tall rounded man runs outside. "No, stop, I was wrong, I was wrong. Tommy didn't do it. He didn't rat me out," he breathlessly replies.

***

I thought the goon was going to kill me, Tommy thinks as he pulls up to his first satellite installation of the day. Grabbing a clean shirt from the back he exchanges it for the one he was wearing. I probably should get rid of that, he thinks, stuffing the torn garment under the seat. The twenty thousand I got from the drug sale plus all the cash will cover her aftercare and be enough to get us out of our small attic apartment. I'm glad he agreed to help me clean up the money. He recalls Hernandez's generous proposal. Maybe I should work for him on the down low. God knows we can use the extra money, especially now with Jen's health being the way it is. It would be nice to work with an experienced crew, and not two dim wits. Nearly getting caught for costume jewelry, how pathetic is that? 

A small annoying canine starts nipping at his ankles the moment he steps out of his truck. "Get out of here, you flea infested mutt," he warns, lunging towards him. The frightened canine yelps as he scampers away.

Tommy starts to unload equipment when he spots a second dog identical to the first."I said get, you stupid ankle biter." The tiny beast continues to growl at the stranger. Confused by the sudden aggression, Tommy stomps the ground, hoping to scare the mongrel away. Feeling threatened, the pint-sized beast plunges his teeth into Tommy's leg. "Let go of me you stupid mutt." Grabbing the canine by the scruff of the neck, Tommy pries him lose; he feels his flesh rips open. "You fucking ankle biter," Tommy yells, tossing him across the lawn. The creature yelps as his small frail body bounces down the hill. "You're lucky to still be alive." Pulling the rest of his equipment from the van, Tommy limps towards the house.

He didn't notice the two large, dark brown eyes staring at him intently, nor does he realize this tall, burly stranger has been following him around for weeks, hoping for the perfect moment when he can carry out his plans.

Characters
Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife

Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.

Berryville PD

Kirk- detective.
Rachel sergeant
Joe captain
Jerry detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.