General Fiction posted January 31, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Final Words

Maybe ?

by zanya


Edward's bony right hand held the magnifying glass. He knew every bird in his seaside garden.

His nurse, Simone, moved quietly in the kitchen.

There was a loud knock on the door.

Simone opened it. "Good morning, Ma'am," the middle-aged man called out. "My name's Harold and I've come to visit my father before he expires."

"Don't know any Harold, Simone, tell him to go away," Edward said.

"Father," Harold said, as he walked to where Edward sat.

Edward continued bird watching.

Harold attempted to throw his arms around him.

Edward flinched.

"Father," Harold insisted, "You are indeed my father, issue from a brief fling with my late mother, Dominique."

"Simone," Edward called out," this man is an imposter. I have no issue, no heirs."

Simone glanced furtively at Harold.

Removing a black and white photo from his pocket, he asked Edward," Do you remember her with her sultry dark looks?"

Edward stared at the old photo, trembling a little.

"Such sweet lips," Edward muttered.
"Simone, call my attorney," Edward insisted.

Within minutes Attorney Lewis walked in.

Harold smiled broadly, "Father, Dominique always said you had a heart of gold, to complement your stash of gold nuggets."

Edward 's eyes blinked rapidly. The magnifying glass slipped from his hand, as he muttered, " Lewis, arrange the gold nuggets in my coffin at once. The vultures are gathering."
His ninety- year- old heart stopped beating.

With that, Harold hurried into the street, muttering to himself, " the old codger nearly fell for it. Simone's losing her touch."








 



Final Words writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Your character is going to die within moments. What are the final words? Describe the circumstances of the pending death.


Image from Google Images
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.