General Fiction posted January 31, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I believe there are angels among us.

Until We Meet Again

by moonsunrise


As my mother rested quietly in her hospital bed at home her words resonated in my mind, "I've had my day in the sun, now it's your turn to have yours". Knowing what she meant I just smiled at her while I gently grasped her very fragile hand. It was very hard for me to watch her declining health over the last few years and now she was nearing her demise. I was not looking forward to losing this special woman but as life dictates it was now her time. She was always so energetic and possessed "La Joie de Vivre". Over the years she ran many bus trips, through her beauty salon, for the elderly to various places. The trips to dinner shows, outdoor events and overnight excursions brought so much joy and meaning to their lives. Everyone loved her. Her health started to slowly decline a few years ago. She had undergone a coronary artery bypass graft, had congestive heart failure and renal issues due to diabetes. It was hard to watch this vibrant, faith filled woman become so frail and helpless. I could cry as I write this reflecting back on the day she passed. It was her birthday and the family decided that even though she was bedridden and her eyes closed most of the time, we needed to acknowledge her day. There was not a dry eye in the room. We bought a cake and sang "Happy Birthday" to her. When everyone left I gently whispered in her ear "Mom, did you hear us singing to you?" to which she responded softly "I did". She passed quietly a few hours later.

Today, I miss her more and more. I find myself sitting in her Dutallier glider and saying "Mom, what would you be saying to me now?" I feel her presence daily and spiritually but I know she is very close to me saying "I had my day in the sun, now it's your turn". This void will stay with me until we meet again one day. Knowing this, I carry on and feel so blessed to have had the joy of having Gertrude as my mother. Until we meet again, mom, I love you!





Final Words writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Your character is going to die within moments. What are the final words? Describe the circumstances of the pending death.


It's never easy to bid a loved one adieu. I don't know where I would have been without my faith and trust that one day we will meet again.
Thank you helvi2 for your lovely artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. moonsunrise All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
moonsunrise has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.