Romance Fiction posted January 20, 2019 Chapters:  ...111 112 -113- 114... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Benjamin wants Shana to come home, NOW!

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Funfunddreissig part eins

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Taking Shana's hand, Susan said, "If you're worried because you're not in the same economic class as we are, we're not at all concerned about that. No, you're not interested in Drew's money. That's obvious. Anybody who thinks differently is crazy." She paused a few moments. "Your dad is a university professor. My parents barely went from paycheck to paycheck. Some months they didn't make that. You have an education, I do not. I'm telling you this because I want you to understand there are always differences but if there's love and commitment everything will work out."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 35 part 1

A few hours later, Anderson and Jeff entered the bedroom.

Michael nodded to his son. "Is everybody safe?"

"Yes, Agent Ryan sent help." Anderson walked to Shana and offered his hand. After she took it, he glanced at Jeff. "Will you fill Mom and Dad in?" He led her from that room to her bedroom with the entourage of pets following.

Anderson shut the door and took her in his arms. "I'm glad you're safe." He silently held her. Moments later he stepped back. "I'm sure you have questions."

The dogs and kitten settled in beside them.

"Are you sure nobody was hurt and everybody's safe?"

"Nobody we care about is hurt. A few of Kuznetsov's men have been better, but I'm not worried about them. Most of them are on their way to jail." Anderson took her hands in his. "There may be some repercussions from this. Kuznetsov is sitting in jail, refusing to answer questions. What we don't know is if someone from his organization will take over and continue business as usual. There are no guarantees."

Shana put her arms around Anderson's neck and held tightly.

Anderson could feel her tears drip onto his neck. He closed his eyes and waited. When nothing was said, he asked, "Sweetheart, I hope those are happy tears. This whole thing is mostly over." He removed her hands from the back of his neck and held them. "You need to tell me what's going on in that beautiful head of yours. I can't read your mind."

He stepped away to answer a knock on the door.

Jeff's eyes focused on Shana as she turned her back to them. "Drew, you're needed. Philip needs to talk with you, and it's not about Kuznetsov. I'll stay here."

When Anderson left, Jeff walked around and stood in front of Shana. "I don't understand the tears. It's over and you'll eventually get your painting back. It's evidence, but once the trial is over you'll get it as its rightful owner."

"I don't want the painting." Shana's tears flowed heavier.

He put his arms around her. "This isn't in my skill set. You're really messing with my tough guy image. Let's sit, and you tell me what's bothering you."

"Since all this is over, I'll be able to go back to Peoria." Shana reached for a tissue and wiped her nose.

"I'm really confused. I thought that's what you wanted."

"But..." Her tears rolled down her cheeks. Moments later, she continued, "I won't see Drew anymore."

"I'm sure he'll make sure you'll be in his life. You're important to him. He's persistent to a fault."

"But he'll get busy with business. Life will stop us from visiting."

Jeff laughed. "You don't know Drew as well as I thought you did. Drew wants more than to visit with you. He loves you. He wants you to be a permanent part of his life." He paused. "To be blunt, he wants to marry you."

"That can't happen."

"Do you think he'd let a little thing like religious differences stop him from the lady of his dreams?" Jeff picked up Malachi. "I think he's hungry." He rubbed his stomach. "I heard something about dessert." He held out his free hand. "Let's find food."

Shana hugged and kissed Jeff's cheek. "Thank you, again."

"Little lady, you're going to get my butt fired." He grinned.

*****
As everyone ate dessert, Anderson walked in and sat. "I see nobody waited for me."

Shana stood and dished him some berry cobbler. "It's really good. Thank you for making this Sabbath possible."

Michael set down his fork. "What's going on with Philip?"

"Maxwell Gaines, the lawyer we hired to get the painting back, noticed my grandfather clock in the penthouse. It seems it's a stolen artifact. I told him to find its rightful owner and give it back. I'm curious about some of our other family antiques." Anderson took a bite of dessert.

"Is there a list or something he could search?" asked Susan.

"There is. I asked him to do that." Anderson's eyes met Shana's. "To change the subject. We shouldn't have any problems getting painters in. Can you talk with them tomorrow and set a date? We'll go from there and set the date for furniture delivery." He glanced at Jeff. "The present security should be good, right?"

"I'd feel more comfortable if we have everything delivered at the outside gate and have the team bring it up to the house. As for the painting, my guys would enjoy doing it. I don't want to get too complacent. I don't trust these people." Jeff faced Shana. "When you go back to Peoria, I want a detail attached to you until I'm sure you're safe."

Anderson placed his napkin next to the plate, and his eyebrows crunched together. "You've already discussed going home?" He released a deep breath. "I wasn't expecting that talk so soon."

"I haven't decided on a date, yet. I'm sure it won't be immediately."

"Good. I need more time to woo you." As Shana's cheeks turned crimson, Anderson winked. "I know I'm incorrigible."

Shana glanced at her ringing cell. "Sorry, it's Papa. I need to take this." She went into the living room.

Anderson watched her leave.

Jeff's eyes met his buddy's. "If that were my gal and she was talking to her dad, who stood in the way of us being together, I wouldn't let that call continue without my supervision."

"I can't eavesdrop on a private conversation, can I?"

Michael motioned his son to go.

Anderson stood behind Shana and listened.

"Yes, Papa, I know most of the threat is over. I still have a few projects to finish that I've been working on." Silence. "I'm decorating the house Drew's moving into." Shana released a slow breath. "I know I have a job waiting and school starts in a little over a month. But Papa..." Again silence. "Yes, I know their ways aren't our ways. I'm not forgetting my upbringing. I know what my priorities are." She used the back of her hand and dried tears from her cheeks. "I haven't forgotten my Jewish heritage and my role as a Jewish female. I understand what is expected of me." Shana backed up until she felt a chair and sat. "I love you too and I'm anxious to see you too. It won't be much longer." The phone remained in her hand as her shoulders slumped and the tears flowed.

"Shana."

She stood and went into Anderson's open arms. He guided her head to his chest and allowed her to cry until there were no more tears.

As Anderson dried the remaining tears, he said, "Sweetheart, we need to talk. Let's go someplace private."

Shana turned her head as she heard the kitten meowing. "Malachi's hungry."

"I got the cat. You do what you need to do," called Jeff.

"How...?"

"I don't understand either," interrupted Anderson. "Jeff just knows." After she nodded, he put his hand in the small of her back and led her to her room.

Inside, Anderson motioned for her to sit on the bed and he pulled up a chair in front of her. "I overheard part of the conversation you had with Benjamin." He swallowed. "I'm beginning to understand why this has been so hard for you. You feel you must make a choice between your father and me. It's a one or the other. No way can you keep both of us in your life, is there?"

"I don't see any way..." Tears welled in her eyes and spilled over to her cheeks.

"I'm sorry," interrupted Anderson. "I never meant to put you in that situation. It never dawned on me that you were going to have to make a decision like that. It's tearing you up inside. With my constant questions and talking, I'm only making it worse. I never meant to hurt you."

"I know." Shana wiped her eyes. "None of this is your fault."

"I'll get the jet ready, and you can be home in time to attend the synagogue with your family tomorrow morning. I'll contact your dad. Jeff will attach a detail to you. You can take Romeo. I'll help with his extra cost." Anderson turned to leave.

"Drew?" After he turned, she paused before she continued, "My apartment doesn't allow pets. Can Emily have Malachi? What about the decorating plans?"

"Give the notes to Mom, she'll finish up. Emily will love owning a cat." He stood at the door. "I need to make sure you're safe. You trust Jeff, right?" After she nodded, he continued, "Jeff will remain with you. I'll set it up."





Thank you YOUTUBE for George Strait's 'This is Where the Cowboy Rides Away' He's my favorite.



Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Oscar - - Team Leader of the security detail
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective
Agent Allan Ryan - - FBI agent



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an photo of Star of David. Again, I made numerous changes as I posted. I hope I didn't leave in an extra word or forget one. I hope you don't mind the length. The final post is next week and we'll finally find out if Shana will follow her heart or her Jewish religion. Thank you for all the support and patience you give my writing. I appreciate your comments.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.