Fantasy Fiction posted January 20, 2019 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The warriors move out to encounter the horde.

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

So It Begins

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A champion is born to save his people from distruction.
Long before the sun was up, the dragons began flying the Wahaland warriors to the tree line just outside the enemy encampment. Eighty five dragons flew them four to a dragon.

A regiment of one hundred men had started toward the enemy encampment on horseback a week before. They stayed along the cliff side to avoid being seen from above should the black dragons be out scouting. They were a hunting party, looking for deer to feed the vast army that would soon follow. Three wagons accompanied them to hold the deer and rabbit that were brought down. A large mountain bear became a prize when he tried to attack the horses. The army would be well fed.

Joshua waited for word that the last man had been taken to the tree line. Dyster, the magnificent blue dragon, stood beside him and brought his massive head down so it was level with Joshua's. Joshua brought a hand up and placed it on his long snout. Dyster snorted and flexed his wings.

"Soon, my friend. Be patient. We will be in the air soon enough," he spoke softly to soothe the huge beast. His keen senses told him something was about to happen and Joshua could feel his nervous energy.

Lyse came to stand beside her husband. Joshua looked into her eyes and took her hand. He was not pleased that she would be in the fight as a rider, he would rather have her safe at the fortress with her father, but he knew she would never stay behind. She was a warrior and would fight to the death to defend him and her people. She was an excellent marksman and could handle her dragon with just the pressure of her feet. Joshua's mother, Nyla, would ride with her as her archer. Together they would be a formidable team. He let his uneasiness pass and squeezed her hand.

"I know you are worried for me, but don't be. I am well trained and with your mother as my archer, I am confident we can bring down any foe." She smiled and kissed him.

A shout went up that the last warriors had been taken and Lyse turned to her father. Augdon stood back from the couple, waiting to wish them well. He embraced his daughter and took Joshua's outstretched hand. It was hard for him to find the word he wished to say, so nothing was said, just a nod, and they were to their dragons.

Joshua loaded the huge mountain cat that would fight the enemy dragon riders, if needed, and fight on the ground with the horseman. Joshua's chosen archer mounted, a Nubian archer with a keen eye and deadly aim, then Joshua pulled himself on to Dyster's back. Lyse and his mother were mounted and ready, so they took to the sky. Augdon lifted a hand in farewell and with regret that he would not be able to fight along side them. He comforted himself with the knowledge that he was needed at the fortress. Three hundred men and ten dragons were left in the fortress in the event that any of the horde got passed the army and attacked.

The sun was just coming up when they arrived at the tree line. Joshua looked to the west and saw smoke filling the sky over the Wahaland Valley.
******
Lucas and his warriors also took to the skies while it was still dark.

Lucas was excited and couldn't wait to rain his revenge on those he held responsible for much of his misery as a child. He hated Wahaland and the people who lived there. Though he brought his own misery, he blamed others for any misfortune that came his way.

"You will stay behind and keep watch over the camp while I am ridding the world of an ugly blight." He told Hamish with a laugh. "I cannot wait to see the looks on the men's faces as we run them through with a sword and take their women captive, or not. Maybe we will kill them in front of their husbands and sons. That would be more entertaining." He laughed again as he mounted his dragon. "I hate these filthy things," he said as he awkwardly seated himself on the back of the huge, ugly beast. "Wish me luck," he said to his brother as the dragon began to flex its wing.

Hamish took advantage of being there alone and went to see Lucas's wife. She had been removed from her husband's tent along with her daughter and told she was no longer his wife.

Hamish found the young woman much happier than he had ever seen her.

"Hello, Lydia. How are you feeling today?" he asked with his best smile.

"I am feeling very well," she replied with a lovely smile of her own. She found Hamish much more handsome than his brother, and kinder. She had been feeding the baby and now laid her down on the bed beside her.

Hamish gazed at the child. She was perfect, beautiful like her mother. He reached down and picked her up.

Hamish looked into her deep blue eyes and felt an overwhelming desire to possess this child. He'd had this feeling before, when Joshua was a child, but this was stronger.

He looked at her mother, "Lydia, come with me. We could leave here now, while Lucas is away. I will take care of you and raise your child as my own. I have loved you since the day I saw you. Come with me."

Hamish knew little about love, except the love of self. Covet was a better word for what he felt. He had chosen his words carefully to gain Lydia's trust. He did desire her, he had rarely seen such beauty, but love was an emotion he would never possess.

Lydia looked into his eyes and nodded. "Yes, I will go with you."

She had been taken captive with her mother as a child. Her mother never recovered from the loss of her husband when the horde invaded their village, she became ill shortly after her capture and died within weeks. Lydia had been left to fend for herself. Getting away from this place was all she wanted.

When Lucas chose her as his wife, she thought about killing herself. She despised everything about him and her skin crawled at his touch. She did not love Hamish, but he seemed a good man and anyone would have to be better than Lucas. Though Hamish gave no details as to where they would go, or how they would live, she blindly trusted him.

Hamish was overjoyed that Lydia had agreed to go with him. He told her to hurry and pack a satchel, but not to take too much, they needed to travel light.

For weeks he had been hoarding food which he buried in the snow just outside the encampment. He feared that wolves would find it, but he had buried it deep and so far his luck had held, no roving wolves had come upon it. He'd also buried a small tent and blankets. He had taken them one by one when out riding. He worried that the sentries that guarded the perimeter would see him, but they paid little attention.

Very quickly after being brought to the encampment, Hamish realized his brother was insane. He had thought he might be able to use it to his advantage, but he soon learned, insane did not mean stupid. Lucas was also cunning and trusted no one. He had paranoid delusions that caused him to have angry outbursts. Hamish had witnessed more than one man being run through with spear or sword because Lucas thought he was trying to poison him or turn the others against him. Being promoted to Lucas' personal guard was not something any of the men aspired to. Most didn't live long afterward.

He had to escape before Lucas decided he was a threat. Also, Joshua was building his army and they would appear one day soon. He didn't want to be in this place when they did.

Hamish knew he risked being captured by Joshua's men or having Lucas pursue him for the rest of his life. Taking Lydia and his daughter was not a wise decision. They would slow him down, and death would be swift if Lucas ever caught him, but his desire to possess them made it impossible for him to leave them behind.




Sorry if it was a bit long. We're getting close to the end. Won't you be glad when that happens? =} I think I will be as I feel I have lost my way a few time with this book. It is only for fun, for the joy of writing, but I'm not so joyous over it anymore and even though I have no plans to do anything with it, I still want it to be well done. Thank you to those who have stuck it out and read and encouraged and helped. Though I read this over many times and put it through spelling and grammar programs, I'm sure it is still full of errors. Sorry.

Joshua-The captian of the army, the Chosen One
Jarle-Augdon's father
Lyse-Joshua's wife
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Brock-Augdon's son-in-law married to his daughter Faye
Lucas-Leader of the Horde
Hamish-Lucas' brother and adviser to the clan
Lydia-Lucas' unfortunate wife.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.