Writing Non-Fiction posted January 19, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Possible closure of Macquarie Shopping Centre Ice Rink

Macquarie Ice Rink

by LittleIrishman

Not all shopping centres and places can boast having an Ice Rink, like Macquarie Shopping Centre in Sydney.

Ice Skating has been an old past-time in yesteryears, but not all places have one.

From ice skating has come other similar, popular forms of skating, like the early retro-icon of roller-skates, and now rollerblades, and now even recently roller-sneakers. Such activities have always been pastime activities in Australia, and some-to-most countries overseas.

This unique, fun, entertaining, and fitness factors are why such ice rinks, like the one at Macquarie Shopping Centre should be kept and preserved, almost like a Sydney heritage item.

Over 20,000 people, local to Macquarie Shopping Centre and others, have signed a petition against the closure of the ice-rink (News break, Smooth 95.3fM).

There are 8 ice rinks in NSW, including Macquarie ice rink (Wikipedia). The ice rink has been operating for over 30 years since 1989. The rink is open seven days a week, with day and night sessions. It has been attracting the general public, local to the Shopping Centre area, as well as those in Sydney, and even various parts of NSW and inter-state.

There is no saying the ice rink could be used for something different and beneficial, like more shops, child care centre, gymnasium, indoor sports, or community store. But the former and current love and use of the ice rink should really take first priority.

Then again, like other business, and leisure and recreation activities, the ice rink may have gradually or suddenly lost most or some of its usual and potential customers-clientele, and or could not matched and pay its expenses, i.e. rent, staff-employee wages and salaries, and Utilities (rates, electricity, and water). There may even be some injury-compensation cases of customers, causing a negative image and mild-to-harsh expenses and costs.

There may be some last minute, desperate fundraising to keep the Ice Rink afloat. If the Ice Rink survives this possible closure, there can be some constant fundraising from various local and surrounding people, groups, and councils.

Bibliography
- News break, Smooth 95.3fm
- MacquarieIceRink.com.au
- Personal Experiences:
The story-issue was issues on a news break on 95.3-Smooth FM in January 2019.
- Wikipedia:
'List of ice rinks in Australia'.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LittleIrishman All rights reserved.
LittleIrishman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.