Self Improvement Non-Fiction posted January 16, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Thoughts and tips from a FS reviewer.

The Honor of FanStory Reviewing

by Sally Law


My mother gave me some good advice growing up, solicited and non-solicited.

She said, "If you can't think of something nice to say, keep your mouth shut."

What she meant was--something helpful, constructive, or worthy of airtime. I understood her parental wisdom early on.

She was right...and she still is. Thanks, Mom.

I offer good advice here today with the hope that you will be drawn into more reviewing, more writing and greater success than you could possibly imagine. But not just for yourself. Self interests and love of yourself is so...self serving.

I have resolved to help those around me reach for their goals and to find their pen again. Isn't that really what a reviewer and fellow writer should be about? I think it is.

I appreciate the opportunity to both review and contribute writing here at FanStory. This online writers forum has proved to be a valuable asset to me personally.

I have grown to appreciate the excellent reviewers here at FanStory.

A special thank you to the following: Lady Jane, Mastery, tfawcus, Jannypan, Tootsie55, Debbie Pope, Dolly'sPoems, royowen, meeshu, Michelle Harber, Gert Sherwood, rwilliam, lyenochka, Earl Corp, lraven, C. Gale Burnett, Rob Caudle, Donka Kristeva, Kathleen Washnis, Boo ghost, Dean Kuch, Sugarray77, LaRosa, djeckert, rspoet, PoemsOfDD, country ranch writer, poetwatch, Mustang Patty, His Grayness, and Y. M. Roger. They tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I value their expert opinions. Every one of them challenge me to be a better writer. I sit at their feet.

I am also a contributing writer for a Christian website that provides copy editors who proof my writings before they are printed. Thank God. They see things I don't. I am legally blind and miss things sometimes. I need those good eyes.

Since we really don't have copy editors on FanStory, we opt for good reviewers that will catch things we don't, and to give us instruction along with an honest assessment of our posts.

I have a few tips I would like to share, along with some observations. These tips have made my reviewing come alive and many have thanked me for my input into their writing. I have also offered strong critiques, with kindness, so as not to discourage.

For instance: We have fan members who are not sure how to use the edit feature. I offered instructions on how to post, remove, photo selection...you name it. I helped many where I could. Several have sent me kind "thank you mail" and even nominated me for reviewer of the month. That's not why I did it. It was the "thank you" that meant so much.

My tips and two cents-

1) Post your works. Before you begin reviewing, post a few of your works if you have not done so. A review from a serious and active writer means more. It is scary to get a review from someone who has never posted writing here. This has happened recently to many at FS. A low rating with no explanation for it from a writer who has not posted squat--is highly suspect. Operate with complete honesty and integrity. Please post your own writings for review and critique.

2) Begin your review with something positive and then offer your critique. (If you can't think of anything positive, skip it and move on to another post.) Offer clear critiques, if they are needed.

If critiques are not necessary, a five or a six is appropriate here. Six stars should be awarded for outstanding writing. Look at the star ratings to see what they actually mean. If you see a small typo, a five is still fine in my opinion.

Recently, I issued two four star ratings. In both articles the tenses were incorrect, going back and forth from present to past tense. Also, I saw flaws in the flow of the storytelling. Both stories had parts that did not flow naturally. It is the writer's burden to make the story clear. Give suggestions in this department, as well.

With poetry, I ask myself, "was the message conveyed, metered correctly, syllable count correct? Does it meet all the criteria of that poetry category?" I have to look it up sometimes.

I have a syllable counter handy to make sure I have counted correctly. I use: howmanysyllables.com.

Take advantage of our most experienced poets. We have many. Check out clubs and other teachings offered here at FanStory under "Community."

3) Post with courtesy. There is no need to be rude. If you feel the article or poem is in itself rude, or reflects bad taste, move on. I do this almost daily.

There is a lot of politically charged articles on our website weekly. This is not likely to change anytime soon. Many are hoping to engage others, but not for the purposes of an objective discussion. I realized that early on, and it's just not worth it for me. I continue to review posts I deem as beneficial for my reviewing time. You should, too.

4) Be honest. Don't just blow through the writing to get your bonus goodies and blow out the other door. Take the time to read it and be honest in your evaluations. A writer who wants to be taken seriously, or published, will appreciate it.

Not everyone will appreciate an honest and helpful review, but many will. And, it is to those writers I dedicate this article. You will be great someday soon, and possibly remember little ol' me.

Happy reading, writing, posting and reviewing to all at FanStory.

Sally



Recognized


Thank you cleo85 of FanArt for the lovely photo.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.