Writing Fiction posted January 15, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Life is unpredictable.

The Knock

by Brigitte Elko


There was a knock on the door.

It was a hoped for sound and ears pricked up in excitement.
Moving slowly toward the door, the hesitation only momentary, she glanced in the mirror one last time. The reflection showed a radiating smile the likes of which she had never produced before.

This was it. A shabby apartment to be left behind, memories of being penniless soon to be forgotten, and money would bring her friends, of this, she was certain.

There was a knock on the door for the second time.

"Coming." Feet seemed to become airborne as she sailed to the door. There was not a moment's reluctance reaching for the doorknob.


"Hello," a stranger said as she welcomed him in. "You are Miranda Whisks?" he asked. "Apartment 13?"

"Me? No. This is apartment 12 and my name is...never mind," she cried as she closed the door.

She woke up with tears streaming down her face. No balloons, roses, or a big check came today. It was all a dream she realized and scolded herself vehemently. It was the right date and time but Publishers Clearing House had deluded her again with mail solicitations to enter their drawing. After all, she had a winning number, haha.

Making coffee, realization crept upon her. Her life was what it was, never to change.
She lifted the pot and aimed at the cup and
there was a knock on the door...




Sentence writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: There was a knock on the door.


Thank you Linda Bickston for the use of this image.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Linda Bickston at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brigitte Elko All rights reserved.
Brigitte Elko has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.