General Poetry posted January 6, 2019 Chapters:  ...142 143 -144- 145... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Boutonniere

A chapter in the book Family

Holding Up a Tree

by Treischel

Landon’s holding up this tree.
Doing it marvelously!
He is such a super boy,
watch his antics to enjoy
best, his personality,
with originality,
a bit of rascality,
in the ruse  that he’ll employ.
Strength displayed at trunk as he’s
doing it with impish glee.
’Cause it’s very plain to see
Landon’s holding up this tree.
Doing it marvelously!

 




Landon is a grandnephew. This smart and playful guy is one of my brother, Richardâ??s grandsons. Richard is one of my younger brothers who died last year on July 13, 2018. We didn't hold a funeral for him, but instead, had a "Celebration of Life" for him at a park where he loved to go. This picture was taken at that event. I asked Landon to pose for a picture by me, and this is what he came up with. That tree stood tall the whole time he was there, and likely for many years to come.

This poem is a Boutonniere.
The Boutonniere seems to be an exercise in writing in catalectic trochaic meter. In other words, the stress comes first in each metric foot (trochee), but the last foot of the line, drops the last unstressed syllable (catalectic), so the poem starts and completes on a stressed syllable. Trochaic tetrameter would be described as a a series of stressed (S) and unstressed (u) syllables as follows: Su / Su/ Su/ Su (tetrameter, 8 syllables). Catalectic trochaic tetrameter would be Su/Su/Su/S (7 syllables). This format was created by Ann Byrnes Smith.
The Boutonniere is:
1. Written in 13 lines.
2. It is metered in catalectic trochaic tetrameter. Su/Su/Su/S.
3. Rhymed. The rhyme scheme is: A1,A2,bbcccbddd,A1,A2
4. Refrained, L1 is repeated as L12 and L2 is repeated as L13.
If you know me, you know I especially like the two sets of triple rhymes.

This Photograph was taken by the author himself on August 18, 2018.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.