General Fiction posted December 29, 2018 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Joshua prepares for battle

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

Getting Battle Ready

by Roxanna Andrews


An army of more than three thousand strong, men and women, stood below Joshua in the snow. As he walked to the balcony's rail, a huge cheer went up from the warriors who waited for his words of encouragement as the battle of their lifetime was about to begin.

"It has been but thirty months since I first came to the fortress. I was a lad of sixteen, and I thought myself a man and a great warrior. I had much to learn. I felt a great weight on me, being told I was the champion in Valdig's vision. How could I hope to lead such great men? I do not know why I was chosen to lead you, but I know that it was meant to be, I have felt it all my life. I can only pray I prove worthy of the task. We face an enemy who knows no honor, knows nothing but killing for the sake of taking what belongs to others. They have no place in our world and we must put an end to them. You are great warriors, well trained and, many battle tested. You are up to the task. We will be victorious. God is on our side."

A roar went up from the warriors.

"We have sent the horses ahead and each man will be taken on the backs of dragons, to the tree line some distance from the enemy stronghold." 

"The horseman and archers will attack first. Cedric will lead you, follow his commands. The dragons and riders will come after, each with an archer. I will lead them. If the black dragons come to meet us, the archers will attempt to bring down the riders. If we can stop the fire spitting dragons, we will have won half the battle."

"Augdon will stay at the fortress with warriors to defend against any who would get past us. His father, Jarle, a prisoner of the enemy, will lead a revolt within the camp. Watch for him. He will make his presence known."

"The enemy's numbers are vast, greater then ours, but we are well trained. Fight using all the skill taught you. I know we can be victorious. God is with us."

The warriors again set up a roar of approval. Joshua raised his arms, acknowledging their cheers, then left to meet with his generals. They would go over every detail of the battle plan one last time before they moved out in the morning.
***
Lucas stood outside the dwelling where is wife was giving birth. Her screams could be heard across the camp and beyond, echoing in the cold afternoon air.

The baby was too large for the slight woman to deliver. The midwife stepped out to talk to Lucas.

"The baby is very big and she is too small a girl to deliver it."

"Then cut the child out," Lucas said with deadly calm, his eyes so evil they caused the midwife to step back.

"I came to tell you we need to cut her, but only a small cut."

"Do what you have to so my son is born."

The midwife scurried back into the dwelling. More screams were heard and then the crying of a baby. The cry was weak and Lucas rushed in to see his daughter being swaddled.

He felt bitter disappointment at seeing a girl in the midwife's arm. She reached out to hand him the child, but he pushed her aside.

He stood over his exhausted wife, her eyes glassy and her hair clinging to her face, her body soaked in sweat.

He look down at the sweat and blood soaked bedclothes in disgust.

"You dare to give me a daughter? I wanted a son!" He screamed the last words at her and he felt a warm satisfaction in seeing her eyes widen with fear. She shrunk back into the bedclothes and brought her hands up to her face, expecting a blow. He walked passed her and out of the back of the tent without another glance at his daughter. She meant nothing to him.

Hamish waited to hear word of the child. He looked up as his brother approached and saw the anger in his eyes.

"Stupid woman." Lucas spat the words. "She gave me a daughter. She is worthless. It is what I deserve for going after beauty rather than strength." He shook his head and kicked at the snow. "I shall divorce her and find a more suitable match."

Hamish nodded, but knew this would cause the young girl no pain and most likely joy. She despised Lucas and he did not blame her. He could not help but pity the girl having to put up with his brother's extreme moods.

Lucas clasped his hands behind him and paced. "In fact, she is not beautiful at all. I am such a fool!"

"What of the raid? When do we leave?" Hamish changed the subject away from the poor unfortunate girl. He was thinking he could step in and rescue her from his brother. She would, no doubt, be very grateful.

"We will leave in five days. I need something to take away my bitter disappointment. A victorious raid may do just that. I will be most gratified to see the looks on the faces of those proud Wahaland men as I run a blade through their hearts. Yes, it will be just the thing to lift my spirits." He slapped a hand down on his brother's shoulder. "I will tell the men, if you can call them that." He laughed as he hurried off to inform his minions they had a new assignment.

Hamish watched him go with an uncertain gnawing in his gut. He didn't feel good about raiding the Wahaland village. Something felt wrong. It was not his conscience as he did not possess one. It was something else, something he could not put his finger on. He shook his head.

This army would do well with a far more rational leader, he thought. And anything could happen during the raid. He smiled to himself and hurried to catch up with his brother.




Jarle-Augdon's father
Lyse-Augdon's daughter
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Brock-Augdon's son-in-law married to his daughter Faye
Lucas-Leader of the Horde
Hamish-Lucas' brother and adviser to the clan
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.