General Poetry posted December 18, 2018 Chapters:  ...351 352 -353- 354... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A short tale with a grisly end

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

Respect your parents

by CD Richards


When Absalom took on his dad

it only served to make him sad.

This master-daddy met his end

as Joab's spear, his flesh, did rend.

 



Recognized


Today's word: master-daddy (n.) a wearisome or precocious child, one trying to outdo their parents.

The story of David, Absalom and Joab is too complicated to repeat here. Suffice to say it's a typical Biblical story of incestual rape, murder, arson and lust for power. All with the aim of teaching important moral truths, of course.

In so far as this poem is concerned, the important thing is that Absalom sought to usurp his Father as King of Judah. Although David himself did not want his son harmed for his treachery, the young man still met a sticky end after the donkey he was riding galloped off and left him dangling by his hair from a tree -- got to love the creativity. You can read all about it in 2 Samuel, chapters 13 to 18.

Thanks for reading.

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occurred to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.