General Fiction posted December 17, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a short story

sisters forever

by judester


Like always, Helen brewed the tea and buttered two pieces of toast. Placing it on the tray, she added a tiny bouquet of baby roses and a chocolate heart.
The hallway was chilly and as she passed the window she noticed the grey clouds and rain suited her mood.

Pushing the door open with her elbow, she entered her sister's room. Haley sat upright in her bed, playing with the cat. Her eyes lit up when she saw her twin sister.

''Good morning me'', she said sweetly, just as she had done every day since her accident.

Helen and Haley had been the town's pride and joy.. Two beautiful twins with long blonde hair and green eyes. They were best friends and went everywhere together.

Then one day, Jack came to town and everything changed. Both girls fell in love with him but he chose Helen.

Haley seemed to accept this arrangement, but for the first time in their life, she was jealous of her beloved sister.

Helen and Jack dated for a year, then began to talk of marriage, until the night Helen caught him and her sister in the local hotel.

Helen was furious. Not so much with her sister, but with Jack.

The night of the town bonfire, she must have lost her mind. In a pure rage, she cut the brake line to Jack's sports car in the parking lot.

The call from the hospital shattered her world forever in a few words. She only understood that her sister had been badly injured in a car accident.

As Helen walked into the hospital room and saw her sister, she suddenly realized the forever damage her jealous actions had created.

The story came out that Jack had been too drunk to drive and had given the keys to Haley.
Without brakes, she had crashed into a tree and suffered severe head injury. She was no longer beautiful Haley, but a shell of the woman, with the mind of a five year old.

Helen had no choice but to care for her sister. Their parents had both passed away within three months of each other. Helen had grieved alone, her sister played with the cat, oblivious to the dependence she now totally had on her sister.

No one knew her evil secret, but Helen knew her punishment. She was to pay for the damage she had caused, for the rest of Haley's life.

She leaned over and gave her sister a kiss.

''Maybe we will go to the park and feed those ducks today, huh?''



Best Served Cold writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction tale of REVENGE. Maximum 800 words. This can be in any genre and can range from a light-hearted prank to a murderous act of vengeance. Clever twists and irony encouraged.


Thanks to Little Bogie 007 for the perfect illustration.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Cindy Sue Truman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.