General Script posted December 17, 2018 Chapters:  ...51 52 -53- 54... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a one-scene script

A chapter in the book Scenes

Scene at a Boat Rental

by Bill Schott


Pallas and his older brother Pez stand on an old dock next to a half-sunken, wooden, fishing boat. The peeled and faded BOAT RENTAL sign is behind them.


Pez: This one should rent cheap.    Points to the swamped boat in the water.

Pallas: I wonder why that one is still here.

Pez: The rest might be at the bottom of the lake.

Pallas: I barely recall going out in one of these boats. Dad was duck hunting.

Pez: Oh yeah! That was the only time he hunted on a boat out in the lake.

Pallas: I think he fell in.

Pez: Yeah! He told us that he spooked some mallards from a sand bar. He stood up and shot, but the blast made him lose his balance.

Pallas: Then he did fall in the water. I barely remember. Gosh, I must have only been a toddler.

Pez: I guess you were three or four. Not in school yet.

Pallas: Why would I be in a boat in the middle of the lake.

Pez: I think Dad was working third shift. He was babysitting you while Ma was working.

Pallas: I remember it a little better. He was swearing and smacking the water.

Pez: He lost his shotgun in the lake. Oh god!        
Pez's eyes snap wide open.

Pallas: What is it ?!           Pallas looks around and sees nothing.

Pez: That's when he found the body.

Pallas: What?

Pez: Yeah. He fell in the water, lost his shot gun, then tried diving down for it.

Pallas: You said he found a body?

Pez: Oh yeah! It was some guy who was murdered.

Pallas: Murdered!? How?! What?!

Pez: The guy was only under the water a dozen feet, but a rope was around his legs and his hands had been tied. Somebody dumped him with a couple cement blocks to hold him down.

Pallas: And I was there?!

Pez: Yeah, but I'm sure he wouldn't have told you; a dumb kid.

Pallas: I was there?!

Pez:  He never did get his shot gun back.

Pallas:  What about the dead guy?

Pez:  I don't remember.

Pallas:  Was he someone anyone knew?

Pez:  Sheriff Shawn knew him.

Pallas:  Sheriff Shawn. That guy shows up when people die.

Pez:  Yeah. Somehow we weren't surprised that law enforcement was interested in a killing.

Pallas:  Who was the dead guy?

Pez:  I never found out, really.  It was all handled on the QT.

Pallas:  So we never knew who this guy was?

Pez:  Maybe, but who remembers? It was a lifetime ago.

Pallas:  Where was I when I was a kid?  I feel like I must have had blinders and earmuffs on.

Pez:  People protected kids back then. They didn't have to know all the crap in the world.

Pallas:  I must have lived in a bubble.

Pez: Bubbles are good. They mean life. It’s when the bubbles stop you’re done. Then it’s just time to take the boat into the shore.




 




Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.