Mystery and Crime Fiction posted December 12, 2018 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nick and Diaz prepares for the worst.

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Preparing for the Worst

by Mistydawn


Summary

Nick was told that Diaz killed his mom, brother, and caused his premature birth. Nick spent his childhood bouncing around the foster care system, being constantly abused by addicts. As a detective, Nick tries to take him down, but loses his job his partner in the process. More determined than ever, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all.

Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust, killing ten addicts. He hopes to get rid of more when he's stopped by the police, with drugs in his car. He squirms out of that but finds himself facing armed, gorilla-like men. After a long struggle, he kills them with his deadly pen.

With his phone MIA, Nick fears his crime spree has been discovered. He ends up stranded in the middle of nowhere trying to cover his tracks.

His cop buddies give him a lift into town. Nick discovers his plan isn't compromised like he thought.

Joe struggles with his feelings for Rachel finally telling her the truth.

~~~~~~

Nick is watching Diaz's men secure his apartment from the safety of Steve's car when one of them glances his way. The hoodlum's eyes seem to bore right through him, plunging deep into his inner soul, like he's aware of every vile thing Nick has done. The man's rigorous stare paralyzes Nick for a second. Tearing his eyes away, he turns towards Steve. "Go, man, go." He pounds on the dash; dust particles scatter through the air.

Steve looks over to see two large burly men running towards them. "Hang on." Nick grabs the dash for support. Their tires squeal in protest as they peel away from the curb. The two goons jump into their car. 

"They're right behind us, Steve."

"Hold on." He pushes the pedal to the floor. Nick is tossed backward causing him and his seat to fall. Giving his friend the evil eye, Nick pulls himself back up.

"I told you to hold on." Steve chuckles.

"Remind me never to ride with you again." Nick glances back to find the two goons on their tail. "They're gaining on us."

"They won't be for long." Steve makes a sharp right toward a retaining wall.

Nick sees a freaky expression spread across his friend's face; he then notices the crazed look in his eyes. "What the hell?"

"Trust me."

Nick lunges for the wheel; Steve shoves him away causing Nick's body to slam against the door. What's going on? Shaking his head, Nick reaches for the steering wheel again.

"Look." Steve points in front of them. Nick turns to see the wall open just enough for them to slide through. "And you thought I was going to kill you." He laughs.

***

Julie and Diaz are hiding inside a secret office adjacent to the pizzeria's walk in. He's patiently trying to explain what's going on in between her hysterical outburst.

"What do you mean a situation has come up? Which situation, what are you talking about, Diaz?" Feeling like she's about to faint, Julie plops down in a chair. "I can't take all this drama, I can't, I just can't." She takes a deep breath hoping to calm her nerves. I need a Xanax or something. She reaches for her purse and then remembers she left it in the car.

"You need to calm down, Julie, and let me explain."

"Calm down? How on earth can I stay calm when we might be sent to prison? I knew I shouldn't have invested in this business with you, I knew it, I just knew it." Jumping up, she starts pacing back and forth. Horrid prison scenes suddenly flash through her mind. "I'll never survive prison, never," she cries.

"I'll see to it that it doesn't happen."

Using every bit of strength she can muster, she shoves him against the wall. "How are you going to do that, tell me how?"

"By getting you out of the country."

"How did it get to this, Diaz, how?"

"Remember Nick, the kid we thought wasn't too bright?"

"Yes."

"His denseness was all part of a ruse."

"A ruse?"

"It seems he's been using that persona to work undercover for the cops."

"Not little Nicky." His sweet, smiling face comes to mind.

"It seems that he almost lost his job after the last attempted takedown and now he's out for revenge."

"There's no way Nick would do that to you, not after everything you've done for him."

"I didn't want to believe it either, then Tony showed me the proof."

"You don't think Tony's making all this up, do you?" 

"I double checked all of Tony's facts, and unfortunately, they're true. That's why I think it'd be a good idea for you to leave until this matter is over."

"I need some time to get my affairs in order; make sure I can receive payments from my other businesses without the cops finding out." She co-owns several legitimate businesses under the radar; their paperwork shows her relatives as the owners, not her. Julie set it up this way, so if something happens to the pizzeria, she'll still have something to fall back on. A safety net that the cops can't touch even while she's being investigated.

"You better make it fast because I don't know how much time we have." Diaz's phone rings. "Now what?" He glances at the caller ID. "I have to take this." He walks to the corner of the room. "You better have some good news," he barks. "You've taken care of him, right?" Diaz runs his fingers through his hair. "How did you let that happen?" A deep voice echoes through the phone. "You didn't think he'd get suspicious when you rolled in four cars deep? I want everyone to get their asses out there and find him, then bring him to me." The caller's voice blares through the ear piece. "You heard me, damn it, find him and bring him to me." Slamming his phone on the desk, he turns towards Julie.

"What's going on?"

"They had Nick but lost him on Seven South." He runs his fingers through his thick, dark mane as he waddles to and fro.

"Come with me, Diaz, we can start over, somewhere new."

***

Steve lets out a deep breath as the wall closes behind them. "We're safe for now, Nick, but I'm not sure how long that's going to last; Diaz has a lot of prominent men working for him."

"I know, man, I know." Nick anxiously glances around.

"I think you should go to Joe, explain what you've been up to. Then tell him that your life is in danger and that you need his help."

That'd probably be a good idea. What if Joe or one of the others finds out about the addicts I killed? They haven't yet, but they're still conducting an investigation. I could deter any ominous situations If I hang out with them. Besides, wouldn't it be better to chance it with them than risk running into one of Diaz's goons? "You're probably right about that. I need to get my evidence together before I talk to him."

"Please tell me it's not at your apartment."

"The hard copy is, but the digital version is in a secret compartment in the tire well of my car. Its backup is in my gym locker."

"A hard copy and two backups, you were thinking ahead."

"I didn't want to take any chances of him eluding charges again."

***

Joe is sitting in the chair alongside Rachel's bed; their fingers are intertwined on top of the sheets while his other hand is gently strumming her pale face. I can't believe this gorgeous creature fell in love with me. Me, of all people. How did I ever get so lucky? He gently kisses her forehead. "There won't be a moment in time that you'll ever question my love; I'll make sure of that." He runs his fingers through her long chestnut hair. "I fell madly in love with you the moment we met, and I want to spend the rest of my days by your side." He starts to press his lips against hers when someone clears their throat behind him. Joe turns to see Rachel's father in the doorway.

"Commissioner Webb, sir." He nervously stands up, his and Rachel's connection pulls him back down. Untangling his fingers, he salutes. 

Max chuckles to himself. "As you were." He walks toward the bed. "How is our patient?"

"She's fine, sir; should be discharged in the morning."

"Will she be going to your home or hers?"

"Her house sir, but I'll be there, make sure she's alright. With your permission, of course."

Max raises his brows. "Do I have to worry about your intentions?"

"My plans are honorable sir."

Max gives him a suspicious look. "The last boy who took advantage of my daughter ended up in a room like this."

"Sir.

"He was strapped to machines for weeks." Rachel is woken by her father's booming voice.

"Weeks, sir."

"Stop it, dad."

"Stop what?"

"Scaring him like that." She turns towards Joe. "He's done this to me my whole life." Glaring at her father she continues. "The guy he's referring to, wrecked his bike in some loose gravel. He only spent an hour in the ER not weeks. He wouldn't have been here at all if dad hadn't insisted."

"I won't lay a single finger on your daughter, sir."

Max nudges Joe in the ribs. "I want grandchildren someday, after you're married, of course."

"I... Ah... Well." Joe nervously glances towards Rachel.

"Stop it, dad," she warns, smacking her father's arm. 

~~~~

Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Jenkins, Smith Nick's cop buddies
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the cartel
Julie, Diaz's partner in crime.
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man
Tito Greco, Luigi's twin Bruno Greco's son. Bruno and Luigi were killed by the police in a hostage situation.
Anna, Tito Greco's mom
Mary a charge nurse

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Max Webb Rachel's father, the
commissioner
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.