General Poetry posted December 10, 2018 Chapters:  ...342 343 -344- 345... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A tanka for underachievers

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

Peter's principle

by CD Richards

 
Peter's principle

promoted beyond competence

better to jump ship

than wait to be pushed

embrace your inkyo
 



Tanka Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized


inkyo (n.) the act of resigning or renouncing your position or office.

In 1969, Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull published the satirical book, The Peter Principle. The main idea of the book is that people tend to rise through the ranks, adopting positions of increasing responsibility, until they eventually end up in a job at which they are hopelessly incompetent.

One doesn't have to look far to find very notable and public examples of this phenomenon. This poem suggests the possibility that, having found oneself in such a position, the honourable and face-saving course of action might be to relinquish the position before the decision is taken out of one's hands.

Thanks for reading.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.