General Poetry posted December 8, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Announcing a new publication

Tanka (sere the blood red leaves)

by tfawcus

sere the blood red leaves
now lush verdancy's withdrawn
autumn's splendour falls
poems from an old man's pen
nourishment for unborn years



Recognized


Author notes

Brindled Words by Antony Fawcus
My latest book, a collection of eighty three poems, is now available in Paperback from the publisher's website (Ginninderra Press), and from Amazon and Book Depository.
Amazon also has a Kindle e-book version.

Gerard Manley Hopkins gave thanks 'for skies of couple-colour as a brind(l)ed cow'. These poems were written on a small farm near the coast of South Australia, a place of couple-colour skies and brindled cows. They draw inspiration from shifting shades, both in the landscape and in the poet's mind. They also acknowledge the influence of poets from the past, as suggested in words from the title poem, 'for, though these poets died, their fears and loves survive, transcending time'. Some are clothed in traditional forms from the past, others in the looser garments of free verse. The subjects range from frivolity to philosophy, having shades both of light and of darkness, as befits a couple-colour collection.

https://www.amazon.com.au/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Antony+Fawcus

https://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=&searchTitle=&searchAuthor=Antony+Fawcus&searchPublisher=&searchIsbn=&searchLang=&advanced=true

https://www.ginninderrapress.com.au/store.php?catalog/search/antony+fawcus/name/1

If anyone would like a signed copy, please PM me with a postal address. I can do these for US$20 (including postage and packing) paid to my PayPal account (unwind@brooklands.net.au)

If any purchasers are able to find time for a short review on Amazon, I'd very much appreciate it.

Ginninderra Press is an award-winning independent publisher based in Port Adelaide, South Australia. It was set up in 1996 to provide opportunities for new and emerging authors as well as for authors writing in unfashionable genres or on non-mainstream subjects. Despite this, the publishers operate on a strictly commercial basis, without any subsidies from the public purse. They pay royalties on sales and do not require authors to buy any of their own books. However, being a relatively small-scale concern, they are only willing to consider manuscripts from Australian residents.

Tanka notes [compiled by FanStory instructor: mountainwriter49]
1. The haiku-like first three lines establish an EXTERNAL FOCUS often through the use of nature to set the tone and tenor for the tanka. The first two lines should be grammatically connected.
2. The last two lines serve to deliver EMOTIVE IMPACT to the reader. These lines should be grammatically connected.
3. The third line of the tanka must SERVE AS A SATORI on the first two lines AS WELL AS A PIVOT to begin the last two lines. It is this feature of tanka that most often fails in entries for FanStory tanka contests.
4. Tanka may not exceed 31 syllables but it may have fewer in short/long/short/long/long format.
5. Personification, metaphor, simile are permitted in tanka. Note wording here. This does not mean their presence is essential
6. Capitalisation and punctuation should be used only when necessary. i.e. proper nouns etc.
7. No end rhymes.
8. Alliteration should be avoided, or used sparingly if deployed.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tfawcus All rights reserved.
tfawcus has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.