General Fiction posted November 29, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Arranging a murder can be difficult.

Dial H for Hitman

by Jake P.

Assassinate Me A Thriller! Contest Winner 

The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.


"The address is 189056 Erving Ave."

I copy it down on the counter top.

"That's in Portland, right?"

"Yes."

I speak slowly as I write it out, "Port...land... Maine."

"No. NO. It's Portland, Oregon. I told you that."

"Not Maine? I thought you said Maine."

"Look. Just copy it down while I spell it out to you."

I erase the writing on the counter top but the eraser smudges it. I move the pencil below the smudge. "Okay. Ready."

"1.8.9.0.5.6. E.r.v.i.n.g.A.v.e.n.u.e.P.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.,O.r.e.g.o.n."

"Got it. And the money?"

"$2,500 was deposited to your bank account this morning. The rest after you kill her."

"She's a bad person, right? I only kill bad people."

"Yes. She's a bad person."

"What did she do?"

"That's none of your business. You're a professional hitman, aren't you? It shouldn't matter."

"Of course it matters. She might be a sweet old lady for all I know. Do you expect me to take your word that she's bad?"

He was quiet for a long time.

"Hello? Are you still there?" I asked.

I heard him whisper to himself, "This is a mistake."

"Sorry. Didn't catch that."

"She's bad. She's... a shoplifter. She's stolen lots of things from department stores, jewelry shops, and many other places."

"It hardly seems that she should be killed for that."

"And she shot a security guard during a robbery."

"Now that would make her bad. Did she kill him?"

"Yes. She killed him."

"Okay. How will I recognize her?"

"I sent a picture to your phone."

I open my cell and find the picture. "Wow. She's a looker. It'd be a shame to kill such a pretty woman. Are you sure you can't find a way to make up with her? Change her?"

"No. She's totally bad. She needs to be stopped. Permanently."

"Such a waste. If you're sure, how do you want it done?"

"That's what I want you to decide. You're the pro."

"Yeah, but I mean do you want it to look like an accident? Do you want it messy... blood all over the place? Do you want her to suffer?"

"Oh god, I don't want to think about that. Can't you make those decisions?"

"I think it's your decision. I don't know the woman. I could gut her and leave the entrails all over the floor, but does she deserve that? Should I just slit her wrists and hold her in the tub while she bleeds out? I could beat her before I kill her. I've had some people ask me to scalp..."

"Stop it! I don't want to think about how its done, much less hear those awful things. This is a mistake. Just refund my money and let's call this off."

"Sorry, no refunds."

"But you haven't done anything. I want my money back."

"Sorry."

I held the phone away from my ear for what I knew would come next. BLAM. The phone was slammed down. I smiled to myself. I love contentious breakups.




Writing Prompt
In 500 words or less, write a thriller (or/and horror) prose involving an assassin/assassination or hitman/hitwoman. No poetry or script, please. Be creative and have fun! :)

Assassinate Me A Thriller!
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by gurkhakukri at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jake P. All rights reserved.
Jake P. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.