Romance Fiction posted November 25, 2018 Chapters:  ...103 104 -105- 106... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Zack brings Shana a present.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Einunddreissig part vier

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As the first round of s'mores was enjoyed, the two German shepherds ran to the patio door, wagging their tails.

Jeff stood. "What's got into them?"

Anderson walked to the dogs. "I have no clue. I think Shana has spoilt them so rotten they've forgotten their training."

"Hey, where is everybody?" sounded a call from the front hallway.

After opening the door, Anderson answered, "Zack, we're out here. I didn't expect you. What's going on?"

Shana joined the men. "Have you had dinner? There's a little left over."

"I ate on the way." Zachery glanced around the patio. "I would like some s'mores." He grinned. "But first, pretty lady, I have a surprise for you."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 31 part 4

Zachery reached inside a black, cloth bag and pulled out a very tiny kitten. "During the fire, this little guy got separated from his mom and siblings. A couple of men and I searched the area and couldn't find them. I figured I knew somebody who could nurse him back to health."

After he handed the kitten to Shana, she cuddled him to her chest. "Thank you."

From a different bag, Zachery removed some supplies. "I stopped by our vet's office on the way home. He said it'll probably need to nurse for at least another week, maybe longer."

Jeff grinned. "Well, little lad,y what are you going to name him?"

"I'm wondering what my boys are going to do with a cat?" Anderson shook his head. "You couldn't find an abandoned puppy, could you?"

Zachery watched the dogs sniff the kitten. "They'll be just as protective of him as they are your gal."

Shana lifted the kitten to her face and studied its eyes. "I think he looks like a Katom. It's Hebrew for orange. What do you think?"

Anderson caressed the kitten's head. After the cat meowed, he said, "I think Culprit would be perfect. He'll be nothing but trouble."

"No." Shana frowned. "I'll call Emily and see if she has any ideas." She glanced at the three men standing around her and motioned them away. "Go do men things."

Zachary pointed toward the den. "I do need to discuss a few things with Drew and I need to leave at first light."

With that the three men turned to leave.

"When you've finished, we can have more s'mores." Shana sat with the kitten, took out her phone, and Facetimed Philip. He handed the phone to Emily.

Once the kitten was explained, Emily said, "I always wanted a kitten. Mom thought it'd be too much trouble and Dad has the dogs. How do Thor and Romeo get along with it?"

"I think they like him. I do need to come up with a name and I thought you'd like to help." Shana petted the kitten's head as he purred.

"Maybe Simba. He's orange, and I like that movie, 'The Lion King.'"

"I kind of like Aslan. What do you think? He was the Great Lion in some novels you might read when you get older."

"Could you read them to me? I like when you read."

"Sweetheart..." Shana hesitated.

"I'd like an answer to that myself," interrupted Anderson as he walked into the room. "Hello, pumpkin. Have you and Miss Shana come up with a name for this nuisance, yet."

"Daddy! You're going to let Miss Shana keep him, aren't you?"

"Of course. He's a present from Uncle Zack."

"Good." Emily wiped her brow. "I was worried."

"I think we've narrowed the name to either Simba or Alsan. Any thoughts?" Shana faced Anderson.

"Maybe Alsan would be a better name. He's going to grow up to be a Great Lion. I know he will." Emily's eyebrows crunched together. "I was wondering about something. Uncle Philip told Aunt Jane that you're selling this place. If I move to Texas, how will I visit Mommy?"

"Have you been listening in on adult conversations again?" Anderson's eyebrows rose.

"Maybe. When am I coming to Texas? I miss you and Miss Shana. Now, I have a kitten to play with."

Anderson glanced at Shana. "I miss you too, pumpkin. The house we're moving into needs a few more things. Uncle Jeff is putting on the finishing touches. Maybe in another week. Is that soon enough?"

"No." Emily pouted.

"Emily, I'll show you the swimsuit I bought you. Just a minute, let me get it." Shana handed Anderson the kitten and held up the swimsuit. "What do you think?"

"I like it. I figured you wouldn't get me one like Mommy wears. It only has a tiny strap by the butt." She giggled.

"Oh." Shana's eyebrows rose. "I thought you said your mom wouldn't take you swimming."

"She never did. She did have a swimsuit. She went with her boyfriends. They partied, so I never got to go. I had to stay home, by myself. Did you get a new suit too? Can I see it?"

"Sure." Shana showed her the suit. "What do you think?"

"I think it's pretty. What do you think, Daddy?"

"I think Miss Shana will look nice in it."

Emily turned her head at a sound. "Darn! Aunt Jane's calling me. It's my bedtime." She blew kisses to Anderson and Shana as tears welled in her eyes. "I miss you."

Shana blew kisses back. "I miss you, too."

"Miss you and love you, pumpkin."

Shana hung up the phone and dried a tear. Anderson moved closer to put his arms around her, but Shana backed away. "Don't. Not now."

"Shana?"

"I'm fine." Another tear rolled down her cheek. "Or I will be." Under her breath, she added, "I have to be."

"I won't allow you to push me away. Emily brought your feelings for her and me to the surface. You can't ignore them, can you?"



Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Oscar - - Team Leader of the security detail
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective
Agent Allan Ryan - - FBI agent



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an photo of an adorable orange kitten. I have two adult males at home. They were cute, once. LOL The Russian Mafia has upped it game as the story starts to come to a close. A few calms before the storm. I have about 12 posts left to this almost 90,000 word novel. I normally only post 500-600 words at a time so it draws the story out FOREVER!!!! I finished writing this novel during the summer. I edit it every weekend and still find mistakes and places that need work. I have an area in this post that's driving me crazy. I'm sure some of you can fix it for me.
Thank you for all the support you give my writing. I appreciate your comments.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.