Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 18, 2018 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rachel is clinging onto life. Nick's mission is compromised.

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Critical Condition

by Mistydawn


Summary

Nick was told that Diaz killed his mom, brother, and caused his premature birth. Nick spent his childhood bouncing around the foster care system, being constantly abused by addics. As a detective, Nick tries to take him down, but looses his job his partner in the process. More determined than ever, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all.

Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust, killing ten addicts. He hopes to get rid of more when he's stopped by the police, with drugs in his car. He squirms out of that but finds himself facing armed, gorilla-like men. After a long struggle, he kills them with his deadly pen.

With his phone MIA, Nick fears his crime spree has been discovered. He ends up stranded in the middle of nowhere trying to cover his tracks.

His cop buddies give him a lift into town. Nick discovers his plan isn't compromised like he thought.

Meanwhile, Rachel finds herself in a dire situation with a suspect's disgruntled family member. She's about to escape when another intruder starts to walk into the house. She bashes them over the head only to discover the trespasser is her best friend.  


Joe is moaning on the cold wooden floor; sharp pains pierce through his skull. He grabs his aching head as he tries to recall the recent events. What just happened? He struggles into a sitting position as memories replay in his mind. He takes a quick look around as he tries to regain his bearing. Whoever did this is long gone, he thinks as he glances around the cold, dark room.

He tries to get up when a stabbing pain incapacitates him, he plops back down. That must've been a hell of a clobber. Joe touches a throbbing spot on his head, then winces from his pain. He sees blood on his fingertips when he moves his hand down. They got me good.

He starts to reach for his hanky when he notices Rachel a few feet away; a large puddle of blood around her head. "Not her too." He reaches over and feels for a pulse. He finds her skin cold and clammy, her heartbeat is rapid but weak. He then notices her breathing is fast and shallow and her lips have a bluish tinge. "Stay with me, Rachel, please, stay with me." He carefully turns her over and applies pressure to her wound. The blood continues to gush from her lesion no matter what he tries.

"I need to call for help." Using his free hand, he fumbles for his radio. "Officer down, I repeat, officer down. I need an ambulance at this location I need medical assistance at this location." Tossing his radio aside, he scoops the detective into his lap. "Stay with me, honey, help is on the way. Do you hear me, boo? You need to hang in there just a little longer, help will be here soon," he says as tears stream down his cheeks.

Rachel slowly opens her eyes and glances up at her Captain. "Joe?" she softly whispers.

"Yes, baby, it's me, you're going to be alright, help is on the way," he says, hoping to convince himself.

"I stopped them, Joe, I stopped the Greco's."

"You did good Detective." He wipes tears from his cheek.

"Thank you, sir." A weak smile spreads across her face. Her eyes roll to the back of her head; her arm falls flaccid to her side.

"No, don't leave me, please don't leave me. I love you, Rachel, I love you with all my heart. Please don't die; oh please don't die." He sobs, collapsing over her. 

"We need to get in there, sir," an EMT says. He drops a bag of equipment beside them.

Joe glances up to see two paramedics standing over them, a benevolent look on their face. "Do everything you can to save her. Please, do everything you can." He sniffles as he scrambles out of the way.

"We will, sir, I promise."

***

Nick has been driving the back roads for the past two hours, trying to figure out which road he took to his last delivery. The longer he drives, the more confused he becomes.

He anxiously glances around hoping to find familiarity. Maybe I should've taken a left at that fork instead of a right? I don't know what I should've done. He slams his hand on his steering wheel. Getting upset isn't going to help. Neither will, driving aimlessly for hours. He pulls to the side of the road. I need to think back to the first time I was here. He quickly replays the trip in his mind. I don't recall that intersection and the roads seem a lot smoother too. He notices an old, weather-beaten house a few feet ahead. I don't remember that shack either. Think I better turn around before I get lost, more than I already am.

He starts to make a U-turn when he hears sirens behind him. He looks back to see two squad cars zooming down the road. Panic sets in as the vehicles approach him. "They did find the bodies. Oh my god, what am I going to do? I have to get out of here, that's what, and I need to do it fast," he thinks as the cruisers zoom past him.

He's turning around when a realization sets in. This can't be about them because I'm in the wrong area. He lets out a sigh of relief. I better get out of here before they suspect me of something else. He's headed down the road when he sees a familiar landmark beside him. I remember that house from the first time I was here. He nervously looks around. I am in the right area. What am I going to do now? I need to stay calm and think.

He takes a deep breath in hopes he'll regain his composure. I'll have to start over in a new town with a new identity. Where am I going to go and how will I get there with what cash? I should've planned this a lot better than I did; at least have an escape plan. It's too late to worry about that now. The only way I'll survive this is if I think like a criminal. See things from their point of view. So what would they do if they were in this mess? They'd get the hell out of dodge that's what. My next question is how and to where? I'd have to get a new identity, go somewhere they wouldn't look. I need to get a disguise before I do any of that. Maybe I should get a couple, switch them mid- travel; change modes of transportation, destinations too; elude all the cameras I can. I need to go somewhere safe and figure this out, but where?

He suddenly recalls what a fugitive had said about evading the law. I'll be dodging the police for the rest of my life if I run. What other choice do I have? I could try and get my phone back before they find it. How am I going to do that when the cops are swarming the area? I need to try at least. It's not like I have anything to lose by giving it a shot. Who knows, I might just get lucky. If they ask me what I'm doing, I'll say I'm making a delivery.

He starts to turn around when he sees an ambulance headed his way, lights and sirens blaring. Someone survived my little escapade; how can that possibly be? Nick thinks back to what happened. I know Rick and Donny are dead, I checked them to be sure. He recalls how Larry tumbled off the cliff. I didn't check him. I just figured if the drugs didn't kill him, the fall would. A horrifying thought suddenly comes to mind. What's to stop him from blabbing to the cops? I need to get out of town and I need to do it fast.

***

Joe is barking out orders, hoping if he keeps busy he won't worry about Rachel, but his thoughts keep returning to her, no matter what he does. "Be sure to document everything; I don't want any loose ends to hold us up."

"Copy that captain," Kirk, says. 

Joe sees a paramedic walking towards him a sullen look on his face. Something's happened to Rachel. He rushes towards him. "What happened, is she alright?"

"Rachel is stable and in route as we speak. So, let's take care of you." He dons gloves and then opens a few containers.

"Why didn't you tell me she's leaving?" Joe yells.

"You were busy, sir. Don't worry, she's in capable hands." Moistening some gauze, he tries to clean Joe's wound.

The captain smacks it away. "I don't need your damn treatment I need to get to the hospital."

"Your laceration needs to be cleaned, sir." The paramedic starts to try again but stops mid-motion when he notices Joe's look.

Joe grabs the material from the medic's hand and wipes the area, cringing from the pain. "Are you happy?" He tosses the gauze on the floor. "I don't have time for their crap not with a department to run and a detective in critical condition," the captain grumbles as he storms away. "Take me to the hospital, Jerr. I want to be there when Rachel wakes up."

"I think you should get looked at first, boss."

What's with everybody and my damn wound. "If you won't take me then I'll drive myself." He sways backward, catching himself with a step. Jerry glances at the paramedic an inquisitive look on his face.

"He refused treatment, Sergeant."

"Rachel needs me more than I need to be looked at. So, are you going to drive me or what?"

There's no sense in arguing with him when he's like this. Jerry exhales loudly in protest. "Let's go."

***

Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the cartel
Julie, Diaz's partner in crime.
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man
Tito Greco, Luigi's twin Bruno Greco's son. Bruno and Luigi were killed by the police in a hostage situation.
Anna, Tito Greco's mom

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech




Book of the Month contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.