General Non-Fiction posted November 15, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Happy Thanksgiving from my glutenless kitchen!

Gluten-free Thankfulness

by Sally Law


I remember the day very clearly, as if it were yesterday. I had just fired my last specialist. One in a very long line of physicians who could not figure out what in the world was wrong with me. I was bankrupt. Money, time, patience and health was pretty close to zero.

I made my way through the door and sat down at my computer. I prayed earnestly for God to help me. An answer came that very moment.

I logged on to celiac.org. After researching various symptoms, there I was in bold print.

What did I have to lose? I announced to my husband that wheat and gluten had to go. The pantry was raided and purged of known offenders. I stopped eating wheat and gluten cold turkey. I noticed immediate changes in my health the next day. The rest is history. I have lived gluten and wheat free for ten years.

So today, I would like to pass on my gluten-free Thanksgiving favorites to you. Hopefully, you will love them as much as my family and I do.
*****************************
Super Fast Cranberries~

You will need:
2/3 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup orange juice (I use Tropicana Pure Premium or fresh squeezed.)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice( check spices for wheat and gluten)
One 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries

Wash and drain cranberries. Add cranberries to saucepan with remaining ingredients and mix well until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, rocking lid to the side for steam to escape. Do not completely cover pot. Cranberries pop while cooking...just so ya know! Simmer at a low boil for about 15-17 minutes. Remove pot to cool. When cool, transfer to serving bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until served. Keeps up to two weeks refrigerated in an airtight container.

Sally's Cranberries Sauvignon~

You will need:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup red Cabernet Sauvignon wine
1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries.
1 cinnamon stick
A few squeezes of fresh orange juice
A tablespoon of orange zest

Mix all ingredients until sugar is dissolved in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir gently. Reduce heat and place lid on top in a cocked position allowing for the steam to escape. Cranberries can pop when boiling, so be careful here! Boil low with lid cocked about 20 minutes until soft. Remove and cool. Remove cinnamon stick and discard. Store in refrigerator up to two weeks covered or in an airtight container. This is great made ahead of the big day!

This is my husband's favorite side dish and the most requested at family gatherings.

GF Turkey~

This is not rocket science. I have a few pointers that will help you with the best turkey ever.

*Fresh only. Frozen is risky. Need I say more?

*Use products and seasoning that are marked gluten-free.

*I use only real butter, as lite butter uses fillers that are often not gluten-free. Mix with olive oil for better heart health, if you so desire.

You will need:
*10-12 pound fresh hormone free turkey.
*Fresh pure unsalted butter, and/ or organic cold-pressed olive oil.
*Fresh herb GF blend; parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. I call it, "Scarborough Fair" seasoning. Simon and Garfunkel are coming for dinner! Yes, a pun is intended. You can make you own, or store bought is easier. Make sure it is marked gluten-free.

*Kosher sea salt and pepper, to taste.

Remove giblets and neck pieces from inside of the bird. Rinse tom turkey well in cold water and drain on paper towels. Pat dry.

Prepare roaster with cook spray. Just a little will do.
Rub turkey down generously with butter inside and out. I use about 3/4 of a stick. Pat herbs blend all over outside of bird. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Go easy here as you can always add more later. Too salty is hard to fix. Tie legs together with twine.

Place bird on a wire rack inside the roaster for even cooking if you have one. I spray the wire rack, as well. Place thermometer into the bird's thigh per directions and set timer. Have hot mitts out and ready for use. Put your fire extinguisher within reach. Have cell phone nearby in case you need to call 911. Just kidding, but not totally inconceivable in this day and time.

Put aluminum foil on wings or tuck them underneath the body. Either way is fine. Tent with aluminum foil the first hour of roasting. Remove foil at that point, very carefully with tongs, so as not to singe your little fingers. This will keep the wings and breast portions from over-browning.

Roast 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until thermometer reaches 165 degrees in the thigh. Juices should run clear when pierced, no blood should be visible.

Remove bird carefully from oven. Place on a wire rack at first to calm down a few minutes and then transfer tom turkey to cutting board and cover with foil for at least 20 minutes until carving time.

Bon app�?�©tit!

Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours!
Sally



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.