Romance Fiction posted November 11, 2018 Chapters:  ...101 102 -103- 104... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Drew admits he's been overprotective.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Einunddreissig part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Jeff stepped inside the kitchen door. "Drew, I want you to see this." He faced Shana. "Nothing to worry about."

Anderson followed Jeff but over his shoulder said, "Shana, I'll be right outside if you need anything."

Shana watched him leave as she continued kneading the biscuits. She turned her head when she heard a commotion. "I wonder what's going on." She took a few steps in that direction.

Both dogs surrounded her.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 31 part 2

"Okay, I got it. I won't go near the noise, but I'd like to know what it is. Can I at least get a rolling pin? I need to finish the biscuits so I can put them in the oven. You guys are making fixing dinner impossible."

Both dogs remained close as she got a rolling pin from a drawer.

When Anderson returned, Shana had her hands on her hips. "Something needs to change." She pointed at the dogs. "These two won't let me do anything."

"Their purpose is to keep you safe." Anderson glanced toward the patio. "It was nothing."

"Nothing sure made a lot of noise." Shana put the biscuits in the oven.

Ignoring her comment, Anderson lifted a package from the counter. "What's this?"

"Oh, I haven't had time to mention it. I visited with Emily, and she said she'd like to learn to swim. So I offered to teach her. I ordered us swimsuits. It's amazing how fast things can be delivered." She took the package and proceeded to open it. "I'll show you." She removed a little girl's suit. "I think Emily will look cute in it, don't you? I had problems choosing one. Most of them wanted to make the little girls look too grown-up."

"I agree, but just a minute." Anderson shook his head. "When did you talk to Emily, and how did you order the swimsuits and actually the food for dinner?" He paused. "I didn't know you could swim."

"There's a lot about me you don't know. In high school, I was a lifeguard." Shana smiled. "I wanted to compete in swimming, but Father wouldn't let me."

Turning his head at the sound of laughter, Anderson said, "Jeff, get in here. You don't need to hide in the shadows." He faced Shana. "Please continue. What else did you do while I was gone?"

"Philip called. I think he just wanted to check on me. Anyway, Emily and I began talking, and one thing led to another." She petted Romeo's head. "I paid for this with the money you snuck into my account without my permission."

Anderson eyed Jeff. "Go ahead and say it."

"You mean I told you so or you were wrong about a lot of things?" Jeff turned. "I think I'm needed outside."

Shana stood in front of Jeff. "What are you talking about?"

"Little lady, Drew's been overprotective, and I told him so."

Tilting her head, Shana faced Anderson. "Drew?"

Taking her hand, Anderson led her to the living room. "I guess we need to talk." He waited for her to sit before he did. "I care about you and wanted to make sure you didn't have to worry about anything. So I went out of my way to make your life carefree. All I did was mess up. I'm sorry."

"Everything you've done was for honorable reasons. I understand that. I'm not a China doll. I won't break." She took his hand. "Thank you for taking such good care of me."

"Everything was out of love."

Shana put her fingers over Anderson's lips. "Please don't say that."

He removed her hand. "Shana, I love you. As I promised, I'll continue to be patient, but I won't or can't hide it. I've tried and it didn't work. Everybody knows it." He paused. "Including you."

"Drew, I needed help." Shana paused. "Or, bluntly put, I needed protection. You've done a great job. I feel maybe you've confused me needing your protection with you loving me." The oven timer went off, and Shana turned her head. "I need to get that."

"I'll get it. You two ignore me," yelled Jeff.

"We're never alone, are we?" Anderson sighed, lifted her hand, and kissed it. "But I respectfully disagree."

"Drew." Shana chewed on her lower lip. After he raised her chin, she said, "I know I need to look you in the eye, right?" He grinned as she continued, "I don't know what to say I haven't already said. There's no way we can overcome the Jewish/Gentile issue."

Anderson and Shana turned their heads, as Jeff called, "Ouch! Hot, hot hot. Shana, these biscuits are good."

Shana stood. "Be careful or you'll burn yourself."

"I think it's too late for that warning." Anderson followed Shana into the kitchen.

Jeff popped the last of the biscuit into his mouth. "Guilty, but I'm hungry and couldn't pass up warm biscuits."

"More like hot biscuits. I'd better finish dinner before Jeff starves," teased Shana.

"Since I found out you can swim, how about swimming after dinner?" asked Anderson.

"Sounds fun." Shana waved a dishtowel toward the two men. "Now, get out of the kitchen."

As they walked through the patio door, Jeff asked, "Sure swimming with Shana's a good idea?"

Anderson's eyes widened.

Jeff continued, "Shana in a swimsuit might be more than you can handle. She's definitely a looker."

"Can't be any worse than my imagination." Anderson rubbed the back of his neck.








Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Oscar - - Team Leader of the security detail
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective
Agent Allan Ryan - - FBI agent



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an photo of a girl in a swimsuit. The Russian Mafia has upped it game as the story starts to come to a close. Thank you for all the support you give my writing. I appreciate your comments.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.