General Fiction posted November 8, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A peculiar exchange student

Curiouser & Curiouser

by Heather Knight


What's that? What's it for?

It's a kettle?

I asked you what it's for...

I know. Can you try to be a bit less impatient? It's used to boil water.

What for?

To make tea.

Tea? What's tea?

A hot drink. We have it all the time. When we are cold, when we are tired, when somebody gives us bad news...

So it has healing properties...

No. Yes. Never mind. I'm going to have a shower. Please stay here and don't touch anything.

Can't I come with you?

No! I'm not about to take off my clothes in front of you.

I'll stay outside. I promise. Can I have a shower myself later?

I guess there's nothing I can do to stop you.

Can I talk to you while you are in there?

I'd rather you didn't.

Okay... The problem is I have a lot of questions. Like, what is this little square thing by the door?

It's a switch. You just turned off the light! Can you please turn it on again?

Sorry, sorry. There's no need to bite my head off.

Stop talking for a while and I'll calm down.

When are you coming out?

I'm still washing my hair.

I'm bored.

Tough luck.

Can I go out to the garden? The plants are most peculiar. Different from everything I had ever seen before.

No, you cannot go out on your own.

Okay then. I'll wait for you in the living room.

I finished my shower. Eh? Why are you sitting on top of the television?

The static makes me feel energized. And I have a good view from up here.

I don't mean to offend you. You are a great guy, but you exhaust me. This is the last time I take part in this kind of student exchange. I hope my daughter is doing better on Mars.

Don't worry. I'm sure she is. My planet is a lot more advanced and peaceful than Earth. I didn't want to tell you, but all your gadgets are kind of old-fashioned.

One more word out of you and I'll send you back home on the next spaceship leaving the space station.

Mum's the word. But... what if I have another question?

Write it down on a piece of paper. Now I need you to be quiet for at least half an hour. Look at the clock...

What's a clock?

Sigh! I think I need a cup of tea.



Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.