General Fiction posted October 31, 2018 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The excitement of Alabama

A chapter in the book My Life

The Falls at Christmas.

by aryr



Background
The adventures of being a full time RVer and travelling the country.
He (Jim) was then directed to Gadson in Alabama- we were able to secure a site at Noccalula Falls. If you ever get to go there, please do. The park is across the river from the park of the same name. This stay was about five months and we were given a worker rate which was good. There is not much to see in the area other than the park.

It was over Christmas, so they decorated the parks- miles of lights and decorations. There two small trains, the type used in amusement, that one can ride around the park on- it takes about forty-five minutes. Going around the various decorations and displays. There is a small zoo with 'Sheila' the lion, some camels and other smaller animals, some of which are part of the petting zoo. We did the train trip two different days, one of which was three days before Christmas and it had snowed, so we thought it would be great to ride through the snow. We visited the park once without using the train, just walking around, that was a great five hours. It was cold but definitely not a Canadian cold. We could see all the activity across the river from our camp site, it was interesting to watch people walking and the train rides. It was exciting to sit at a campfire with a dusting of snow and see the Christmas lights across the river.

Another interesting aspect of the park was the water falls where the Indian Princess Noccalula died- sorry I can't remember the story, but there was a fantastic statue. Oh, and there were hiking/ walking trails from the campground ranging from one to fifteen miles. Pantygynt kindly provided the story-The legend of Cherokee Indian Princess Noccalula dates from antiquity in the regions of northeast Alabama, U.S., where the Cherokee nation once thrived. According to legend, Princess Noccalula was the beautiful daughter of a powerful Cherokee chief and was deeply in love with a brave from her own tribe. Despite her wishes to marry this young warrior, she was promised by her father to a Creek Indian chief who had more bounty to offer for her hand. Her lover was banished from the tribe, and Noccalula was forced to ready herself for the arranged marriage. On the day of the wedding she allowed herself to be arrayed in ceremonial attire and obediently but reluctantly attended the marriage feast. In the midst of the merrymaking, Noccalula quietly slipped away and wandered through the forests of her childhood, coming eventually to the beautiful waterfall near her tribal home. Rather than subject herself to a loveless marriage, she jumped from the precipice near the falls and ended her life on the rocks below.


Now about Alabama, it is rather hilly. Poor Jim daily complained about walking up and down mountainous hillsides. Long grass, weeds, climbing over downed trees, all the critters that live there as well as the slipping and sliding. Each day he came home, he was either dirty or wet and muddy.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.